Clutch issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Clutch issues

So I have a 2016 F4rr and was out riding in the mountains in BC, Canada for the last 4 days when on the last day I started noticing that it was getting hard to find neutral. Eventually it got worse and I was having problems downshifting. And now I can bring the bike to a stop without it stalling. Pulling the clutch lever in doesn't prevent it and the bike pulls quite hard with the clutch in.

I am going to bring the bike in to the dealer this week and have the clutch bled and perform the 6000km service but I am wondering why I would be experiencing these issues with so few kms on the bike? Are there any known clutch issues on the bike?

Thanks,
DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:57 PM

What oil are you using? I had the same issue occasionally on my 312R and after I installed an Oberon clutch slave it went away completely.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Not sure what fluid is in it. It is whatever the bike had in it new.
I am debating replacing the slave with an aftermarket unit as I had similar problems with my 2011 F4 as well. I shouldn't have to bleed a clutch every few thousand kms. At least I don't think I should.

2016 F4RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:51 PM

New Site Garage
Hi

It sounds like the clutch hydraulics are loosing fluid or there is air in the system. Has the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder fallen? When pulling the clutch lever in, is there an initial area of very low resistance or free movement before you can feel pressure building at the lever?

Any issue is usually with the slave cylinder.

I had this issue with my 2013 F4RR (and my 1000S previously). If you remove and strip the slave cylinder you may find the bore is dirty and fluid has leaked past the seal and into the output sprocket cover. The dirt is probably chain lube. The seal is probably fine especially given the age of the bike. A clean and light hone of the bore and all should be well. Take it to a hydraulics shop that know what they are doing.

There are aftermarket slave cylinders available if you want to go that way and plenty of threads about replacement seals but these are close relations to unicorns! Also oil threads but I doubt that is your problem. Try the above first.

Good luck.

Tony
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Clutch fluid should be DOT 4....…..

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Hi

It sounds like the clutch hydraulics are loosing fluid or there is air in the system. Has the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder fallen? When pulling the clutch lever in, is there an initial area of very low resistance or free movement before you can feel pressure building at the lever?

Any issue is usually with the slave cylinder.

I had this issue with my 2013 F4RR (and my 1000S previously). If you remove and strip the slave cylinder you may find the bore is dirty and fluid has leaked past the seal and into the output sprocket cover. The dirt is probably chain lube. The seal is probably fine especially given the age of the bike. A clean and light hone of the bore and all should be well. Take it to a hydraulics shop that know what they are doing.

There are aftermarket slave cylinders available if you want to go that way and plenty of threads about replacement seals but these are close relations to unicorns! Also oil threads but I doubt that is your problem. Try the above first.

Good luck.

Tony
Thanks for the reply Tony. The level in the master doesn't seemed to have dropped but the lever does feel like there isn't much initial resistance. So possibly could be air in the line. Any ideas why air would get in so soon?

I have to bring the bike in for it's 6000km service so will have them check to see if the bore looks dirty as well. I wasn't sure if you are suggesting that chain lube could be the culprit....is that correct?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:49 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmandj View Post
Thanks for the reply Tony. The level in the master doesn't seemed to have dropped but the lever does feel like there isn't much initial resistance. So possibly could be air in the line. Any ideas why air would get in so soon?

I have to bring the bike in for it's 6000km service so will have them check to see if the bore looks dirty as well. I wasn't sure if you are suggesting that chain lube could be the culprit....is that correct?
Hi

On my slave cylinder it looked like it was chain lube that had found its way on to the bore. I suppose it gets carried in there on the pushrod as it moves in and out and gets flung off onto the bore.

You might improve it by bleeding the hydraulic system using the bleed valve on the master cylinder (your bike has semi radial brembo master-cylinders?) Position the bars so the bleed valve is at the highest point of the master cylinder, pull the clutch lever in and open the bleed valve. If you see bubbles in the fluid coming into the bleed hose its working.

I'm not sure why air gets into the system. Maybe it is through the slave, if it is leaking fluid maybe it pulls some air which can then find its way up to the master-cylinder being the highest point.

Tony
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

So picking the bike up from the shop today. Talked to the mechanic and he said that the bore was clean and the fluid level was fine but that there was air in the system. He said he has gotten the air out and that the clutch seems to be fine now.

I had the same problem in the past on my 2011 F4 and it never seemed to take long before the problem was back. Just wondering if an aftermarket slave would be a good purchase if the problem keeps coming back?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode