Odometer Reading - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Odometer Reading

I recently had my local dealer install a replacement dashboard under warranty due to an issue with mine on my 2016 F4rr. When I got the bike back I noticed the odometer was reset to zero and I get the km to service warning again for the first service.
I am wondering if they should be able to get the actual kms that were on the bike back so the service interval reminders on the dash are accurate? Or am I stuck keeping track of it myself based upon what was on the bike prior to bringing it to the shop?

Thanks,
DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I am sure the dealer won't be able to change the reading.
You will have to record the mileage yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks...that's what I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Established Member

You can easily access the service menu at the dash and adjust the service mileage.
For what I can recall it's just hold both buttons pressed for ten seconds with only ignition on.
Hope this helps.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM

When a odometer is replaced I thought the dealer was supposed to put a sticker somewhere on the vehicle to say it has been replaced and the milage of the old unit should be written on this label.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblp640hp View Post
When a odometer is replaced I thought the dealer was supposed to put a sticker somewhere on the vehicle to say it has been replaced and the milage of the old unit should be written on this label.
They are supposed to....but many bike dealers do not even know they should.

There are auto meter service shops that can change odometer readings....but it is VERY illegal for them to reduce an odometer reading. There is a shop in the Atlanta GA USA area that can reset odometers on some bike meters, but not all.

As stated earlier, the maintenance intervals can be set by the user (or dealer ).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:37 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
They are supposed to....but many bike dealers do not even know they should.

There are auto meter service shops that can change odometer readings....but it is VERY illegal for them to reduce an odometer reading. There is a shop in the Atlanta GA USA area that can reset odometers on some bike meters, but not all.

As stated earlier, the maintenance intervals can be set by the user (or dealer ).

Interesting. I though the odo reading came from the ECU since it's not mechanical. In my car, I'm pretty sure if they replace the odometer the mileage remains the same. At least that is my understanding.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Nope....The odometer maintains the memory. The ECM does not track that...in motorcycles, anyway. Pretty sure cars are the same way.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:22 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Nope....The odometer maintains the memory. The ECM does not track that...in motorcycles, anyway. Pretty sure cars are the same way.

Well, my car is a Mercedes so it's superior to most. I know if I get a new cluster the dealer can set the mileage to what it was from one of the control units. Not sure which one.

I understand, at least in Mercedes, since the mileage is stored in the ECU (or whatever control unit), not the cluster, your service intervals will still show up when they are supposed to regardless of what the odo says.

Motorcycles may be different. And Italian motorcycles...well they are definitely different.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I didn't realize I could change the service intervals myself so thanks for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode