Rear axle removal? -- seems stuck in hub :-O - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Question Rear axle removal? -- seems stuck in hub :-O

Hi guys!

I removed both my wheels a few days ago, to get new Pirelli rubber on .. Front wheel bearings were shot -- rumble- rumble .. No biggie .. they are easy to get locally so they will be changed for some high quality new ones -- They lasted 24.000 km it would seem --

Now to the rear -- I removed the wheel -- not too much of a bother - wheel nut was tight, but came off without excessive violence or big rattle guns ..

Now that I had the wheel off and the bike up on centre support, why not check the hub, clean and grease up? --- so off with the sprocket nut, carrier and washer -- Well --- I have a problem! I can not push out the axle .. or pull it -- even some slight abuse in the form of some hard raps with my rubber mallet does not budge it .. WHATS up? should it not just slide out? -- I have tried to follow the manual and hub-change instructions to the letter ..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ..

"There is no law of Nature, requiring the Universe to make sense"
"103% of all people do not understand Statistics"
"Sapere Aude -- Dare to KNOW!"
-- DKDravis --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Yes, it should slide out, but yours will need some persuasion. As we used to say in the NAVY: Get a bigger hammer!

You should spray some kroil or other penetrating oil liberally around the axle and let it sit overnight.

Then get a soft piece of hardwood (oxymoron alert!) and a bigger hammer.

You will need to rap the daylights out of the axle...toward the sprocket side...and break the corrosion binding your axle into position.

There are horror stories of things people have done.

All of this is preventable on reassembly if you use a proper anti-seize assembly lube.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Like Chuck says.
Support the bike safely,large hammer and a block of wood.
Then give strong sharp blows,it will move.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

DKDravis;

Go go a machinist, have a 50mm piece of aluminum bar stock 100mm long machined to 42.5mm for ~ 80mm.......

If you use a wooden block and hit it off center it will egg the end of the axle and the nut won't go back on......

I watched it happen......in my shop

also put a strap through the brake disc and around the swingarm...... otherwise the axle will go flying

Also use Kroil or a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and Acetone.....you only need a few drops

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 07-23-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Thanks!

Hi again!

Thganks for the advice -- Thats precisely what I went ahead and started doing --

Disaster naturally struck when trying to get the axle out -- my precious MV fell off my work lift, hit my Duc on the way down ..
It could probably have been much worse, but fortunately I got off with a completely broken windscreen, a snapped off footpeg, a broken rear indicator an a slightly damaged mirror.. and a few scratches on the paint .. I'm still a bit in schock though ..

No visible damage to the Ducati ... phew ...

Now I will machine myself an aluminium "plug" Do the "ATF+Acetone" treatment and hit the thing some more ..

-- DKDravis --
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:38 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Oh No,that is not good,but I did say support the bike safely.
I feel for you mate,don't beat yourself up about it,accidents happen.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:11 AM

Fkn hell ! I feel so sorry for you ..Ouch !

Noel the Knurl knows lots more than me but if ever I need to persuade a wheel spindle which effectively is what this axle is Then I will loosen the nut and then with it only slightly away from tight apply the blows to a soft piece of hardwood ; ) to the nut...rather than risk damaging the axle threads and in the case of the hollow axle egging it.
I still wouldn't want to be hitting too hard if your nut is aluminium as most are if not aftermarket steel one.

Also ..given that we have the luxury of a hollow axle..Why not spray it inside with plumbers freeze up spray then some boiling water on the outside of the swing arm...and do this after the overnight Kroil application..

In short do everything you can so that the knockometer is used the very minimum ...

If you put a note in wanted on the forum you may get some good deals for the broken bits and not have to wait an eternity to get back on the road.

Joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 07-19-2017 at 05:27 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Joe;
Don't do it that way.....if it's the slightest bit stuck, you'll just ruin the alloy nut......

When they're stuck I use my Grandfather's 4 pound single jack.......and have to wail on it
Attached Images

mitchy and mitchy like this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Mine will just slide out with the pressure from my pinkie finger ! Nothing like a bit of lube !

Cheers Noel

Joe
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Cool All is well (Almost .. :-D )

I finally got around to finding a piece of 52 mm aluminium bar stock -- fired up the old Colchester and turned myself a proper axle "punch"
By the time it was ready (And me ) the hub and axle had sat for 3 days with ATF/Acetone -- it still took som hard knocks to get the thing out ..

Fortunately both the roller bearing and the sealed bearing were fine .. so everything was thoroughly cleaned, regreased and reassembled ..

I just got my new windscreen today, so now all thats missing is sorting the broken mirror stem and mounting new LED rear indicators -- Then I can go and scrub in my brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas .. I'v gone all the way back to the OEM sizes fitted: 120/65 front and 180/55 to see how the bike handles on those smaller tires .. I have two track days coming up in the next two weeks .. should be fun ..
esq'z me and esq'z me like this.

-- DKDravis --

Last edited by DKDravis; 07-24-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: seplling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode