F4....and then the bike shut off. - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Vinny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
F4....and then the bike shut off.

Right after I bought my F4 I was riding to work on the freeway. I was doing 75mpg in the left lane as there was traffic. The bike shut off and I coasted to a stop. I tried and tried until I killed the battery to restart it. I had to push it about a mile in full gear in 96 degree heat to the gas station. I had gas in the tank and it tried to start off of a jump, but still no luck. I left for a work trip the next day. I searched the internet for an answer while I was gone. I was told it was my battery, relay or wiring. When I returned from my trip I stopped at the parts store. I purchased a 5 gallon bucket, transfer pump & starting fluid. I sprayed some starting fluid in the right intake to avoid the MAF sensor and it lit off. I then drained the fuel and it looked great. I was starting to lose hope. I then looked in the tank and the hose from the filter to the fuel pump had come off at the pump (so fuel was just being circulated in the tank). I took the tank off, took off the plate reattached the hose (which took five minutes working the hose over the outlet with the one time clamp still installed and I had no new clamps on hand) and put it back together. I fueled it up and primed it a bunch and it started and ran just fine. I have popped the fuel tank open before every ride after that and the hose has not budged.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am thinking that whoever worked on it last didn't put the hose all the way down on the pump outlet (past the bump) and it popped off over time.

"Have the courage to live. Anyone can die." -Robert Cody

Last edited by Donsy; 07-08-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Lightbulb ?

Common problem with FI bikes.....
especially those with barbless hose fittings on the cast fuel pump plates
You noticed the pump didn't cycle? and kept running?

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Established Member

As Noel says. The same exactly happened to me earlier this year on my F4 750. The pump did cycle though which was a distraction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
The pump would prime or run for the usual amount of time when I turned the key to on and turned the run switch to run. The pump would not continually run as I was not able to start the bike. I can only assume it was just circulating the fuel in the tank and not sending it to the inline filter during the priming sequence as the line was disconnected.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 AM

New Site Garage
What model, pick a section please mate ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
What model, pick a section please mate ?
It is a 2006 F4 1000S. Sorry I am still learning the posting etiquette. I will try to remember to be more specific in the threads. Thanks!
Donsy and Donsy like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode