Idle Hunting 1090RR MY2011 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Idle Hunting 1090RR MY2011

Hi all,

I have a 2011 1090RR I bought just a few weeks ago. Dealer insisted that the ECU is bone stock, I do not believe so judging from the perfect fueling. The bike runs fantastic, no complain whatsoever...no gurgle or backfire, silky smooth throttle response from idle to WOT, no snatchy response, no stumble, no hesitation, I can filter through traffic on any gear and can pull away smoothly no problem..... bottom line it is a dream to ride except that I have a small hunting issue on idle rpm, worse when engine still cold becomes better/still there slightly when engine is on operating temp. I did not bother at the beginning because I read somewhere on this forum that idle rpm hunting is a characteristics of the B4 engine particularly after ECU Reflash or Race ECU replacement. However, after reading deeper and deeper into the technical side of this forum, I came to believe that this idle rpm hunting has something to do with Throttle Bodies not entirely synched, yes it is typically happen after ECU Reflash/ECU Replacement and this is something that can/should be ironed out...

The big questions are:
- Aside from the minor hunting annoyance caused to my ears and sanity, TBH the bike runs like a dream and I actually a bit wary about attempting to iron out this hunting idle problem for the fear of opening a can of worm. Should I just leave it as it is?
-Could somebody please point me to the best link to perform this TB Synching procedure? There are a few here but please help me to go directly to the best link.
- Do I need to perform TPS reset? If yes, should I perform the reset after OR before TB Synching?

Many thanks in advance folks!!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Or should I start with the easiest? When I first saw the bike and wanted a test ride it was dead from flat battery. Waited and chatted there for 45 min waiting for the charger to do its job before it can be fired, It can then be concluded that the battery is compromised, stupid me for not demanding a new battery.

The question is... Does MV acts like many other exotic Italian or German? Ferrari and Porsche I know for sure will act all sort of weird when the battery is not super healthy.

MY11 1090RR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
First, the battery must be in good condition with sufficient load capacity to run the bike well.
The ECU has a voltage cutout.

The hunting is normal for either the Race ECU or the bone stock ECU. It is not indicative of an ECU change or tune.

The workshop manual, available from a link in the Maintenance section will give you the TB Sync procedure.

I would check/reset the TPS prior to TB Sync and then again after.

To do the TPS reset, you need diagnostic software and a cable to connect to a computer.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Thanks for the clear directions, much appreciated. Does this hunting is something I should be really concerned with? Is it something I can just simply ignore for the time being without any dire consequences down the road? I want to fix it but I am not ready to open a can of worm right now. I am saving up to buy a Rexxer so I can perform my own maintenance and mods including TPS reset.

Many thanks

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 06-05-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I wouldn't be worried about it. The hunting is exacerbated by cold temps, small vacuum leaks, and poor state of tune. Letting the bike warm up reduces the hunting.

It will not cause damage to anything. It is just a bit annoying.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
I wouldn't be worried about it. The hunting is exacerbated by cold temps, small vacuum leaks, and poor state of tune. Letting the bike warm up reduces the hunting.

It will not cause damage to anything. It is just a bit annoying.
Good to know that, give me some time to save up. Thanks for the insight.

MY11 1090RR
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 PM

Ignore the hunting whilst cold, you may never cure that. If it hunts when engine is up to temp then you might be able to fix it. Apart from the above suggestions I found a new set of spark plugs made a huge difference to my bike.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
Ignore the hunting whilst cold, you may never cure that. If it hunts when engine is up to temp then you might be able to fix it. Apart from the above suggestions I found a new set of spark plugs made a huge difference to my bike.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion... when the engine warm the hunting is almost non existent, just some very very slight hunting occasionally. I'll try to replace spark plugs, make sense. The bike only covered 6000km since 2012 when it first registered, I bet PO never replace the spark plugs.

MY11 1090RR
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Modern fine wire/exotic material spark plugs are good for 50-80,000 miles at least ......save your money

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Modern fine wire/exotic material spark plugs are good for 50-80,000 miles at least ......save your money

Unfortunately bought and installed already and yes, no difference *LOL*

MY11 1090RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode