Have I Destroyed My Rear Hub - MVAgusta.net
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Have I Destroyed My Rear Hub

Good Evening.

So this afternoon while riding the bike home from work I thought that something wasn't quite right, as every time I backed off the throttle to slow down for a bend it felt like rear wheel was skipping, almost like in gravel or something. Anyway, when I got home I wasn't happy with the way it felt so I stuck it up in the abba stand to get the rear off the ground so I could give it a good wobble to make sure all was well. Unfortunately there was a lot of play in the wheel but even worse I could see that the back side of the break disc had been rubbing against the calliper hanger. Upon closer inspection and to my total horror I discovered that the wheel nut on the sprocket side was really loose, I mean it only took about 4-5turns and it was off!!!!! It looks like the locating pin was not correctly seated and that is how it has worked loose.

Now, as for as I am aware the only person to have been anywhere near the rear end of my bike since I bought it was the asshat, so called, mechanic that changed my tyres for me prior to my trip to the Isle of Man Classic TT. I know he was messing about because of all the hassle I had trying to get him to accept that it was a 55mm socket he needed. So I am wondering if he made a utter arse of it and it has gradually worked loose. I am hoping to take apart the whole rear axle over the next few days to inspect the damage, I will follow up with pics of what I find.

What I am wondering is what are the chances the the rear hub is goosed, or could it just be the loose nut that has allowed some play in the axle resulting in the the rotor rubbing in the inside.??? Also I wonder how much come back I have on the mechanic that potentially caused this as it has taken so long to manifest.??

More importantly I could have bloody died!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I am left wondering why a Mechanic would touch the Sprocket Side nut during a tire change.

There have been cases of that side nut backing off and loosening as things where in the hub assembly.

Torque the nut to spec and check your play in the hub.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I also wondered why he wold be messing about at that side, but he also couldn't work out the size of socket he needed, even after he was told by myself and another garage that it was 55mm. Trust me when I say he will never see my custom again!! He is just a little local mechanic I was pointed to my a friend that uses him for his bike. never again!

I did tighten up the nut and the play certainly got less, but I have lost my adapter to make the 55mm socket fit my socket set so can't set the correct torque. Have one ordered so hopefully tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 03:54 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
My advice is remove the hub,check for damage.
Service the hub if there is no damage and replace the disc caliper bracket.
Buy yourself the correct wheel nut tool.
A standard socket is not correct because the nuts are tapered.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 05-31-2017 at 03:57 PM.
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thats was my thinking also, I am looking to replace the chain and sprockets anyway. so may as well get them done at the same time while everything is apart.
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
would I be right in thinking that this is the right kind of grease for the hub.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobil-Mobil...um+soap+grease
post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Yes,that looks OK.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
thanks, i tried to find as close a match to the specs in the manual as I could, but often not all the information is presented.
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

My vote......
the 3810-2RS died, allowing the axle to go left into the caliper mount and making the sprocket nut seem loose

If the sprocket nut was loose, and the bearing good the axle/wheel assembly will go right away from the caliper mount

A complete disassembly and inspection will tell you what's wrong
mitchy and mitchy like this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Would I be right in thinking that 3810-2RS refers to the bearing inside the hub unit? I am not familiar with that part number. I had wondered if the spacer and gone allowing the wheel move. But as you say a complete deconstruction will hopefully yield the answer. I hope to get started this evening if the rain holds off.

2004 Matt Black/Grey Brutale 750s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode