910r puffing sound from airbox - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Question 910r puffing sound from airbox

Hi all,

Let us start the game "what is wrong with my bike"
The CDI/ SPU is replaced and is working fine
16.8K km on the clock, MY 2007

Me (some technical knowledge) : Speaking to the brutale : WTF, why are you doing this to me? Don't worry, I will buy you a new SPU and you'll be better in no time. (typical SPU failure symptoms at that time)
Found one of the throttle cables loose and fixed it. No resolve

So of to the bike shop.....

Technician 1 Honda dealer and all brands, shop with good reputation also on the track :
Well, I don't have to do a compression test, I'm 90% sure your an intake valve is leaking. I just know....I can hear it.

Technician 2 (aprillia dealer, just started of as an official MV dealer, but has prior MV experience)
Well, tech1 has jumped too fast to conclusions, let us synchronise the TB's check for vacuum leaks, check spark plugs and valves.
I don't believe there is something wrong with the valves, because the problem should be present at all times.

Symptoms
- Puffing sound from airbox every few seconds when hot and in low rmp
- stalling in low rpm
- slight powerloss in low rpm range
- bad throttle response in low rpm range
- Full throttle -> No problems above 5k,
- sound :

Possible causes
- TBs/TPS ouf of sync
- Vacuum leak
- Leaking intake valve
- Spark plugs (replaced summer 2016, 2K km ago)
- Fuel mixture to rich/poore
- leaking TB rubbers
- something else

Let the games begin !
The winner of the game shall win the respect of all MV owners worldwide. How about that price !!

Brutale 910R 2007

Last edited by phunkinit; 05-18-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Hey there again. I was wondering why you were asking about sourcing an inlet valve in the other thread.
Where are you?
Are you able to do some basic things yourself, or are you trying to point the tech in a particular direction?
If you are looking to self service, have you got the workshop manuals for you machine? If you haven't, they are available on Donsy's website (search and you will find on this forum)

At 17000km, I would be surprised if there is something wrong mechanically. Depending on the storage and service history, I would be looking for the simple stuff first, like perished rubber hoses and connectors. Then move on to the harder to find electrical gremlins and fuel supply issues.
It would help if you could find somewhere that has diagnostic software to establish what issues are showing up as well.
Make sure that you report back on the findings when you get a solution, so that anyone else with similiar issues can benefit from the knowledge base.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi there again revhead.

I've taken the bike to the shop for new tires and a Dyno run.
Asked them to take a look at the TB's (sync) and check for a vacuum leak. But I think this was somehow misunderstood.
It is the start of the season where I live, so they are all very busy.

Leaking valves at such milage on a 4 cil. are rare.
So that is why I went to a second bike for a second opinion.
I did a full service on the bike (spu/all filters/all fluids/brake pads/sprocket kit/xenon/) and forgot about what I tought was a easy to find issue.

I did look for the 'usual suspects' as you describe them, but beside of finding one throttle cable loose, I didn't find anything.
Because of a demanding job I don't have the luxury of speding any more time troubleshooting.
Anyhow next thuesday I'm going back for diagnose/ vacuum test/compression test and tb/tps calibration. See how that goes.

thnx for the reply m8.

ps: I have to disqualify you from the contest. reason: no specific diagnose

Brutale 910R 2007

Last edited by phunkinit; 05-11-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:44 AM

New Site Garage
what ecu is on your 910R is it euro 2 1.6m ecu or euro3 5sm ecu. euro 2 ecu will be big square
box on top of air box . sound to me as if your bike is hunting for fuel but that depends on which ecu is on bike
euro 2 you have to reset tps manually euro 3 it should reset its self and you have to get a reset with the software
after that is done set the TB,s
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv raptor View Post
what ecu is on your 910R is it euro 2 1.6m ecu or euro3 5sm ecu. euro 2 ecu will be big square
box on top of air box . sound to me as if your bike is hunting for fuel but that depends on which ecu is on bike
euro 2 you have to reset tps manually euro 3 it should reset its self and you have to get a reset with the software
after that is done set the TB,s
Thnx for the info, very usefull !
I'ts euro 3 according to the specs and other euro3 charasteristics , but I have indeed the big euro2 square magneti marelli ecu on top of the airbox.

Brutale 910R 2007

Last edited by phunkinit; 05-12-2017 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkinit View Post
Thnx for the info, very usefull !
I'ts euro 3 according to the specs and other euro3 charasteristics , but I have indeed the big euro2 square magneti marelli ecu on top of the airbox.
if you have the ECU on top of the air box its euro 2 . if its euro 3 have a look and see if you can separate the down pipes from the cat if you cant its euro 3
next and if you are right in saying its euro 2 you will have to set up the TPS manually with the butterflies fully closed and set to 150mA then reset the idle to 2.3 degrees
for idle then set your co to 3.5 % with the fan running at the same time balance the TB,S THERE IS INFORMATION ON THIS SITE ON HOW TO DO THIS,
just done this on my 910s and it runs beautifully had similar symptoms to you mine was cutting out at idle when hot and coming to a stop ran allright out on road .
was running weak at 1.6% co hope this helps .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:30 PM

New Site Garage
Hi

Puffing through the airbox does suggest a leaking inlet valve. Even though he thought tech 1 was full of [email protected] tech 2 wanted to check the valves! What is the service history? Has this been done before?

Will the bike idle smoothly with an even and regular engine beat? You say it runs okay >5k revs. The effect of a leaking valve will be reduced as the revs rise.

I'd check the valve clearances, one of the inlets may have closed up. If the clearances are within tolerances then a leak down test will tell you if there is a valve problem. You will hear air leaking into the airbox (or exhaust if there is a problem on that side of the engine.

Let us know how you solve this.

Tony
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Hi

Puffing through the airbox does suggest a leaking inlet valve. Even though he thought tech 1 was full of [email protected] tech 2 wanted to check the valves! What is the service history? Has this been done before?

Will the bike idle smoothly with an even and regular engine beat? You say it runs okay >5k revs. The effect of a leaking valve will be reduced as the revs rise.

I'd check the valve clearances, one of the inlets may have closed up. If the clearances are within tolerances then a leak down test will tell you if there is a valve problem. You will hear air leaking into the airbox (or exhaust if there is a problem on that side of the engine.

Let us know how you solve this.

Tony
Don't know the service history. Bike was previously owned my forum member 'Greny' send him a PM, but don't know if he will ever read it, cause he is no longer active on this board.
When cold, the enige is most of the time smoothly running when idle, when hot, there is the puffing sound again...and occasional shut off.
When visiting tech 2 after a 5km drive, the puffing sound was completely gone, after arriving home, there it was again.
Made a recording of the sound

to be continued....

Brutale 910R 2007
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Just got the bike back from the dealership
Problem seems to be solved , hower no clear diagnose.
This is what he did

- check valve clearence, only minor adjustment needed.
- Replace the black coloured iridium spark plugs with normal ones.
- Strong valve cleaner additive
- Synchronizing trotthle bodies (way of), TPS read-out, an CO adjustment
-Dyno run -> 142Hp -so back to full power

too soon to tell if the fix is permanent, time will tell.
For now i'm happy to ride

Brutale 910R 2007

Last edited by phunkinit; 05-20-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode