750 f4 tickover. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

750 f4 tickover.

Hi to all, ive had my mv 6yrs & toured ,tracked,& abused from time to time,and she"s always performed superb with no hiccups or faults. Ive always carried out my own maintenance [as with all my bikes & scooters] & even made my own silencers. After these years i thought i would treat her to a full dealer service. WHAT A MISTAKE! The quality of the mv dealers service was crap. 2 bolts missing from the front mudguard,footrest bolts loose & heel guards & dirty marks everywhere.Also the front indicators did not function due to incorrectly fitted top fairing.Ive since sorted out these faults myself & will never return there again.The main reason im posting is they have balanced the throttle bodies,but it now ticks over at 2000rpm.Is it possible i can adjust this myself? A power commander is fitted.Im an old carb man & not too clever with fuel injection.[This is my 1st post ,but ive been on this site before reading about some of the problems youve all had & feel very lucky ive got this far with no issues.Personally i think mv"s have a soul jap bikes cant match]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Dont know about the tick...maybe something loose you have not found that is vibrating....doesnt seem like balancing throttle bodies would cause that.

I am curious as to the design of your silencers..can you post up a pic?

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog998 View Post
Dont know about the tick...maybe something loose you have not found that is vibrating....doesnt seem like balancing throttle bodies would cause that.

I am curious as to the design of your silencers..can you post up a pic?
Lewdie....tick over means engine turns...not a sound.

Welcome to the family, Bungle.

The idle speed can be reduced by adjusting the air bleed screws in on each throttle body an equal amount.

I wonder how good a job they did balancing the throttle bodies if they left it at that high an idle speed. The balancing is done by adjusting these same air bleed screws. Probably didn't have the engine at operating temp when they did the job.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they did in fact get them balanced fairly well. Try turning each screw in 1/4 turn and see where that takes you. Further in = lower idle speed.

Good luck. And you should let the dealership management know of your poor experience.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Lewdie....tick over means engine turns...not a sound.

:

well EXCUUUUUSE ME! (as Mr. martin would say) Its Monday.

I guess you are saying that he is saying it is idling at 2000 rpm......i guess it would been too easy to say that huh.....just dont start throwing around random acronyms.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
lee

Is your "choke" lever fully closed? I mean not sticking partially open? From the sounds of what you got back I'd be willing to bet the dealer meggered around with the throttle body adjustments. If you have a 4 tube manometer hook it up and see what you get. Also turning in the airscrews will lower the idle some but not enough to get it where it belongs wihtout getting too rich. Worst case scenario pull the airbox and check the yellow stuff on the idle adjustment screw to see if the screw's been turned. You might also open the throttle with the engine off, put your ear next to the airbox and let the throttle snap shut. If you don't hear it hitting the idle stop screw then your cables need to be adjusted. Idiot dealer. That's a shame.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Don't listen to Lee...he is so hung up with trying to get fuel mixture and throttle synch down to the nat's ass that he lost sight of reality. Idle speed is SUPPOSED to be adjusted with the air bleeds.

Lee, I told you to read the workshop manual, but you want to make it way complicated. These ain't carbs and those aren't fuel mixture screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the quick response and i"ll give it a go. Hopefully i can sort it without cocking up my custom map on the commander! Will no doubt let you all know. [I did check the fast idle lever 1st,that was ok.] Cheers. Gaz.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
lee

I WAS hung up on it but not any more. I'm now chafing over a slightly crooked decal that's bugging me.

I disagree about the range of rpm the idle can be changed with the airscrews. Yes they are primarily for vacuum balance and not mixture and yes they will vary the rpm somewhat. But to drop the idle rpm from 2000 to 1200 with the airscrews by turning them in and rebalancing is going to (a) put them out of the recommended 1-3.5 turns out and (b) cause the idle mix to be overly rich. They just don't have that MUCH effect. Even though they're for balancing they do affect the mixture at idle/off idle and you'll end up out of the 3.5 +/- .5 CO range the book calls for. When an RG3 sytem and it's chip are installed the idle will be around 2000. In that case after setting the airscrews to spec the only other solution is to reset the idle stop screw to drop the rpm and then recheck the balance. It's also very hard to find a torque wrench small enough to torque them properly.

But you are right about "don't listen to lee". I freely admit to suffer from a massive case of OCD and should ALWAYS be ignored and the older I get the less I know. And I'm old. Really old. Can't get no respect.

Last edited by lee; 02-03-2009 at 09:26 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Old Wing Nut

I have experience with adjusting idle speed using the air bleeds on many bikes, Japanese as well as my own MV. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 turn can change rpm 500~750 rpm on some bikes. So you can set the idle speed without going out of the recommended adjustment range. This is exactly how the workshop manual says to adjust idle speed.

And I DO respect you Lee....now about this chopper fetish???

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM
lee

Oh man, I'm tired. Enough already and to each his own.

Chopper fetish is over. They're becoming passe anyway. The cafe is where it's currently at, in particular the exhaust.

Is it really true that you torque everything (even the 6-32's) to spec? Me, I just "feel" most of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode