F4 decat pipe - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
F4 decat pipe

I am considering fitting the Arrow decat pipe on the F4 2005/06 model it will be used with standard headers and rear silencer is it just plug and play or will power commander or remap be required ?

Keep your MV in good repair: motorcycle boots are not designed for walking.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AgustaRod; 03-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 AM

"Decating" will increase gaz speed so air/fuel ratio.
You'de need to check throttle boddies balance and set CO. Not very difficult.
Decating is the best mod for this engine. Do not hesitate.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 AM

New Site Garage
@AgustaRod, do the pipe swap first and then see how it runs, you might not need anything else, lots of variation in the maps form those days, you might be lucky.
@jejemg, why would you need throttle bodies balanced when swapping out the midpipe, the two has nothing to do with each other ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 01:51 PM

You're right, there's nothing to do between decat and balancing.
But, when I decated my OEM midpipe, I needed to balance TB, even if it was OK before. And I still don't understand why!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
@AgustaRod, do the pipe swap first and then see how it runs, you might not need anything else, lots of variation in the maps form those days, you might be lucky.
@jejemg, why would you need throttle bodies balanced when swapping out the midpipe, the two has nothing to do with each other ?
Ok the situation I have at the minute is I have obtained a standard mid pipe with cat fitted my welder pal is going to open it up remove cat and re-weld (tig). I shall fit it but no mods will be made to any other part of the system.

I have heard that it can cause popping and flames on the overrun and stain/burn the rear cowl.

Has anuone had this experience de-catting the standard mid pipe rather than buying an after market type ie the Arrow de-cat pipe.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:40 PM

New Site Garage
No mate, what you're doing is no different than installing the Arrow midpipe. The flames is a tuning issue, not usually Cat removal related.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Established Member

I removed the cat core on my 2007 F4 and it was a bit of a chore. The cat is a double-wall construction with insulation between the outer and inner stainless tubes. You'll have to make two cuts to access the core material, which is very dense. The core is sort of like a very tightly woven metal mesh with the catalyst coating the surface. It won't just crack apart like some cats. But, with some patience you can do it and you'll save some cash in the process. Just be sure to make your cuts big enough to access the core the first time around or else you'll have to cut and fit new cover plates.

Eric
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfreeman View Post
I removed the cat core on my 2007 F4 and it was a bit of a chore. The cat is a double-wall construction with insulation between the outer and inner stainless tubes. You'll have to make two cuts to access the core material, which is very dense. The core is sort of like a very tightly woven metal mesh with the catalyst coating the surface. It won't just crack apart like some cats. But, with some patience you can do it and you'll save some cash in the process. Just be sure to make your cuts big enough to access the core the first time around or else you'll have to cut and fit new cover plates.

Eric
I have just had it done by my welder pal did you have running issues afterwards? I am using stock silencers just no cat.
Attached Images

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 PM

New Site Garage
Hi

I fitted a decat mid pipe to my 2005 1000S. Headers and silencers were stock but it had an MWR air filter. It ran fine without anything else done and seemed to run a little cooler.

Subsequently I fitted a chip I got from Adam (Merc07). This did improve the running, particularly at low revs but this was probably down to the ignition map, and was well worth doing. It was a little more economical, fuel consumption improved by about 5%. This about five years ago now, Adam's work seems much more advanced now particularly in relation to the EBS, however I sold the bike shortly after fitting the chip and bought a 2013.

Tony
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
That what I was hoping to hear I have been in touch with Adam and if I core the silencers I will be getting an eprom chip from him.
Can you recall if the tickover increased after the decat pipe was fitted .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode