Are there alternate sprockets? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Talking wtf???.

the silliness that you people come up with amazes me.......

the chain sold by that eBay site is DID XV2...... it's X-ring too, anything wrong with this?
the sprockets are from AFAM, a well known supplier

the chain and sprockets are guaranteed for 15,000mi/24,000km

IF the CS sprocket nut is CORRECTLY torqued to 140Nm/103lbft it's not going anywhere even without LocTite

any of you look how Honda always mounted CS sprockets or Husky or Maico???? they are loose on the CS!!!

what good is a Scott Oiler on an X-ring chain???? it only cleans the chain....the X-rings keep the lube OUT of the roller chain

My 910R currently has over 33,000mi/53,000km+ on the original chain on occasion I wipe it down with WD-40
to keep it from rusting

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:02 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
the chain sold by that eBay site is DID XV2...... it's X-ring too, anything wrong with this?
the sprockets are from AFAM, a well known supplier

the chain and sprockets are guaranteed for 15,000mi/24,000km
From my angle Noel I wasn't speaking about a specific supplier, just a general caution that all sprockets are not created equal. I've seen the results of in-precise fitting splines on an output shaft, all torqued up correctly. Admittedly not on an MV. End result was a replacement engine from a breakers yard as the most cost effective solution.

Quote:
what good is a Scott Oiler on an X-ring chain???? it only cleans the chain....the X-rings keep the lube OUT of the roller chain

My 910R currently has over 33,000mi/53,000km+ on the original chain on occasion I wipe it down with WD-40
to keep it from rusting
In your climate maybe, ride in plenty of rain and shitty conditions and a chain oiler makes more sense. Sure, a sealed chain requires no internal lubrication, but the sprockets and chain rollers can be prematurely worn by the grinding paste combination of chain lube, water and road grit. A chain oiler tends to carry this away. Are you saying that you use no lube at all, just WD40?
Donsy and Donsy like this.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 AM

New Site Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Either that or fit a chain oiler and get to 30 - 40,000 miles before you have to think about changing.
When you ride like a pussy

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
^^^Ouch, Dons, haha. I've got over 27k on the stock sprockets and chain. If I excessively clean, lube, and tighten them I can avoid a racket of clacking for a short time, but can feel the vibration at speed from the stretch in the chain. Too much throttle, all the time My last ride it was really bad, so I called it quits till I geab a new set for next season. At -32C it's not going anywhere soon

Yeah, the site on ebay sells the AFAM sprokets with various chain options. Pretty solid brands. Just vuri I us of options, I won't run questionable sprockets to save a few bucks, but I don't want to throw money away to banks and shippers if I don't have to.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckler View Post
^^^Ouch, Dons, haha. I've got over 27k on the stock sprockets and chain. If I excessively clean, lube, and tighten them I can avoid a racket of clacking for a short time, but can feel the vibration at speed from the stretch in the chain. Too much throttle, all the time My last ride it was really bad, so I called it quits till I geab a new set for next season. At -32C it's not going anywhere soon

Yeah, the site on ebay sells the AFAM sprokets with various chain options. Pretty solid brands. Just vuri I us of options, I won't run questionable sprockets to save a few bucks, but I don't want to throw money away to banks and shippers if I don't have to.
Sounds like it's about time mate. FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from most of the eBay suppliers of chains and sprockets, there is a lot of options out there indeed.
Have you compared their prices with The Sprocket Centre's prices, I've bought some through them for other guys and it's a good comparison. ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
In your climate maybe, ride in plenty of rain and shitty conditions and a chain oiler makes more sense. Sure, a sealed chain requires no internal lubrication, but the sprockets and chain rollers can be prematurely worn by the grinding paste combination of chain lube, water and road grit. A chain oiler tends to carry this away. Are you saying that you use no lube at all, just WD40?
Chas;
Yes, occasionally WD-40, NO CHAIN LUBE

1st you're riding on the street ....no slurry of mud, if you delete the chain lube there is nothing to keep grit around
2nd water is the Universal Solvent, it carries everything away
at 60mph your rear sprocket is turning ~840rpm the CS sprocket 2240rpm
so they are slinging the water and anything else off
like I said I have 33,000+mi on my chain and sprockets, the rollers are bright and shiny the chain has been rarely adjusted (when needed)

there is nothing wrong with running a Scott Oiler....... it's just not necessary with O-ring chains.....
on a 4 stroke dirt bike just route the crankcase breather to the inside of the bottom run of the chain.....lubed and clean

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yeah, Dons, I priced out a few options for comparisons with The Sprocket Center. They have more selectable options to choose from and decent pricing, but with the Canadian dollar adding 30% and the flat shopping rate to Canada it makes the ebay option much more affordable...even from the UK. My choice could be made for me if the US cuts off trade with us, haha.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:39 AM

New Site Garage
Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread! I am looking at a new chain and sprockets for my B4 750s and came across THIS on Ebay. 135 delivered for a DID 520VX2 chain and stock AFAM sprockets.

It seems like a good deal, but I have never bought chains or sprockets before so don't know the good from the bad. Just wondered if any of you with more experience have used these brands before and if so if they are any good?

Thanks
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:06 AM

New Site Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcifur View Post
Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread! I am looking at a new chain and sprockets for my B4 750s and came across THIS on Ebay. 135 delivered for a DID 520VX2 chain and stock AFAM sprockets.

It seems like a good deal, but I have never bought chains or sprockets before so don't know the good from the bad. Just wondered if any of you with more experience have used these brands before and if so if they are any good?

Thanks
You might want to check with someone, like forum sponsors, who actually have a picture (idea) of what Brutale or MV sprockets look like mate. I know often images are just generally shared, but I would check.

There will be more threads on this topic in the Performance section too.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 05-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM
cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcifur View Post

Thanks
Check too if they are for the original carrier or for a quick change carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode