MY10 F4 rotating crankshaft by hand noise - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

MY10 F4 rotating crankshaft by hand noise

While doing a valve clearance check on my 2010 F4 and rotating the crankshaft anticlockwise slowly I noticed a slight resistance, almost like a gear wasn't meshing properly or the cam chain was rubbing on something, or a bad ball bearing, and I could hear a bit of a cluck, cluck, clucking sound coming from lower down in the engine, (no, there's no chickens in there). I backed off the cam chain tensioner, but no difference. Doesn't feel normal to me, however when the engine was running it didn't sound unusual. Is this normal for a F41000 or should I dig a little deeper ?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by appiebroomer; 01-27-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:44 PM

New Site Garage
We've had a couple of cases on the new bikes where the bush and pin running the bottom cog of the timing chain has worn out, it might be worth looking into that.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

BTW, Donsy, thank for posting all those manuals...greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I also noticed that the cam timing marks do not line up properly when #1 is at TDC. It looks like the cam timing is slightly retarded, I have to rotate the crank a little farther (anticlockwise) before the cam timing marks line up correctly. The chain tensioner was also extended quite far. If the intermediate gear bush and shaft are worn, this would cause the distance between the cams and the intermediate gear to shorten, causing the chain tensioner to extend and take up the extra slack in the chain and retarding the cams. So, I think you are right, Donsy, the intermediate gear shaft and bush being worn could also be the cause of my noise when rotating the crank slowly by hand. I think what I need to do now is remove the cams and reach down to the intermediate gear and see if it is loose.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down ?

I have a motor on the bench with the cams out, the gear on the idler shaft is 210mm down a narrow slot you'll never get a hand in there,
try pushing the gear with a pair of metal rods to see if there is backlash between the gear and the crank
in the 1st Gen engine manual they show the idler and chain being put in after the cases are assembled.....
and NOT AT TDC EITHER..... differential gearing in the cam drive, fucking ASSHATS..... just like Aprilia
on the twins the marks only line up every 34 revolutions of the crank WTF??????

Who ever came up with this shit should be shot ..... PERIOD

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

OK, found the problem...not the intermediate cam chain gear, its fine. When I removed the clutch housing the resistance and the noise was gone. It appears that the clutch gear that meshes with the crankshaft is causing the resistance, there is no play or clearance between the 2 gears (a very tight fit), all the bearings in the clutch and transmission are fine. I can only feel it when I turn the crank slowly by hand. I don't think its a problem as the motor has about 3000 miles on it. It runs fine, with no unusual noise while running. So I'm just gonna leave it and not worry about it.
Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 AM

New Site Garage
Glad it's not serious mate, mate, always good to add the mileage in cases like this.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode