Abs Problem - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Abs Problem

Hi to all. 2014 F4. As soon as 2 years warranty expired abs light starts popping up, ones in a while in the beginning but more and more often. After a few months it lights up EVERY time I start the bike. Abs doesn't work anymore. No errors codes found (dealer said). I am a mechanic myself, have a motorcycle shop, always trying to fix things myself if possible before paying big bucks to MV dealer. Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 11:49 AM

Hi,
on mine the ABS lights and then goes off after I have started moving. Its looking for valid signals from both wheel sensors. First thing I would do is check the distance between the sensor and the slotted disc. I'd set it for mid range to start with and the see from there. Make sure the sensor is clean too.

The ABS module has its own diagnostics which can be checked by the dealer. I thought that the ABS stores its errors i.e if either of the pressure sensors fail, but I might be wrong.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for reply. How I can check if sensor works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 06:25 PM

New Site Garage
Do you have a DropBox Account - if you do you can download the Workshop Manuals form my link and go through that - https://www.dropbox.com/s/78lprzohhb...l_ed3.pdf?dl=0

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Do you have a DropBox Account - if you do you can download the Workshop Manuals form my link and go through that - https://www.dropbox.com/s/78lprzohhb...l_ed3.pdf?dl=0
If you look at page 284 through 286 of the F4 workshop manual ed.4 shows how to check and adjust if required the clearance between the sensor and phonic disc.

Page 193 shows the wiring diagram (top right hand corner N°18 & 54)

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...hlight=diagram

The sensors are 2 wire versions and without an oscilloscope you will struggle to test the sensor its self, as you really need to see the waveform not just voltage changes.

Also check the ABS fuses Page 216

The dealer can check the 2 sensors and the internal pressure sensors of the ABS module using the TEXA Page 227 to 232. It is worth checking the connector and the condition of the wiring just in case.

I have ECUStudio so I can see the individual wheel speeds so it helps me check check operation.

As I said I'd check that the sensors are positioned correctly first.

What are the exact faults conditions?
I tried creating a fault, regardless of the method, fuse or sensor, the ABS light came on at start up (as expected) and the instead of going off after a few metres a large warning triangle filled the dash board screen with "ABS Fault". Is this what you are getting?

Is the ABS in Normal, Race or off mode?

How do you know the ABS is not working?

Cheers

Arron

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 AM

New Site Garage
Yup, Sorry Arron, really been struggling to get the site working with the new updates, will have to ask for help from someone if I can't get it working soon. In the meantime DropBox will have to be our saviour.
Here's Edition 4 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/2honucdu8v..._ed.4.pdf?dl=0

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Donsy for manual and Dansoarr. All that I have is a small yellow light in the upper side of dash which supposed to go away when I start moving. It never goes away now, it is lit up all the time. I guess ABS doesn't work because of that but I am not really sure if it ACTUALLY stop working. I never had a big triangle warning on the screen and dealer said there is no fault codes in the memory. Ill try to adjust sensor and check plugs and connectors. I will let you know. Thanks a lot.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosha.3 View Post
Thank you Donsy for manual and Dansoarr. All that I have is a small yellow light in the upper side of dash which supposed to go away when I start moving. It never goes away now, it is lit up all the time. I guess ABS doesn't work because of that but I am not really sure if it ACTUALLY stop working. I never had a big triangle warning on the screen and dealer said there is no fault codes in the memory. Ill try to adjust sensor and check plugs and connectors. I will let you know. Thanks a lot.
Tosha,
just a quick silly question, is the ABS turned off in the dash menu?

If it has been set to Off accidentally, then the light will remain lit. If the ABS is set to Normal, then the light will turn off. From memory if the system is in Race or Off then the light will remain on to inform you that the system is not in the factory Road / Normal setting.

If the ABS system is faulty then the triangle should come up.

Its worth a quick check to see what the setting is. At the very least i would change the setting to Off, check it, then to Race and check again then to Normal and check again. The ABS works on the front and rear, so if you want to check the operation of the system and you are nervous of locking the front, just try to lock the rear on good dry smooth tarmac (clutch in). No ABS = Locked up and skidding, ABS = no lock up and a little juddering.

Good luck

Arron

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Abs in "normal" and "race" settings behaves the same, simply stays lit all the time. I did not switched it off. Like I said in the beginning the light comes on ones in a while. After restarting the bike it usually disappears. Then it become more and more often and finally it's just stays on all the time. It's like something gradually become inoperable, sensor may be. Weird.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

And "triangle" never showed up on the screen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode