cant find the right oil!!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
sms
Established Member

cant find the right oil!!!!

so im planning a service on the old girl(07 910r), however ive rung around and cant find the recomended oil 10/60

filter ive found, oil i cant

plenty of 10/40 plenty of 10/50 plenty of 15/50

so im stuck, so i need imput!

cheers!

Never Poke The Bear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
sms
Established Member

finally found some 10/60

yes!

Never Poke The Bear!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Depending on climate, other weight oils are suitable. Where are you in this ever shrinking planet?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM

New Site Garage
Probably start a shit fight here but generally oils is oils. Any good quality (especially full synthetic) oil will be ok, although as esq'z me says extreme climate may play a role. My favourite is Castrol 1 full synth. as I find it gives me the smoothest gearchange. Don't know it's weight offhand but here in North Queensland it's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in summer so a heavier oil should be better. Tried them all and not much to choose between. Regular change/filtre is the go.

Cheers

Deano
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:08 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Probably start a shit fight here but generally oils is oils. Any good quality (especially full synthetic) oil will be ok, although as esq'z me says extreme climate may play a role. My favourite is Castrol 1 full synth. as I find it gives me the smoothest gearchange. Don't know it's weight offhand but here in North Queensland it's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in summer so a heavier oil should be better. Tried them all and not much to choose between. Regular change/filtre is the go.

Cheers

Deano
Never a shit fight mate, been there done that
Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
check their website, mobil 1 4T, 4T signifying the motorcycle variant rather then the automobile variant is available in 10/40. I'm guessing the other grades are likes hens teeth for many people, so yeah where I live practically your whole list is not available.

Gents, I've populated a bit of a list you might find helpful getting best bang for buck. I've made a list from Donsy's website of what the various manuals specify,

F3 675 Engine Manual, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA
F3 800 Manual, 5/40, SL, MA or MA2
B3 675, B3 800 & Rivale Manual, 5/40, SL, MA or MA2
B4 990 & 1090 Manual, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA
B4 750, 910 & 1078 Engine Manual, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA
F4 1078RR Manual, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA
F4 1000S/R, Tambo, Senna, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA
F4 750, SPR Manuals, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA
F4 Y10 Chassis Manual Edition 3, 10/60, SG, MA if used in races use 20/50
F4 Y10 Engine Manual edition 2, 20/50 or 10/60, SJ, MA

I think the 'SG' Spec quote in the F4 Y10 manual is a typo, should be at least SJ. Check your manuals of course, But basically three different oils specified 5w40, 10w60 or 20w50. Interesting to note that one of the F4 Y10 manuals cast some light on why the 20w50 OR 10w60, stating that 20w50 to be used if 'racing'. I expect the racers probably use other weights and ignore that anyway, but I read it to mean that maybe the 10w60 is preferred for road bikes.

Interesting things to note about the API rating, API SJ came in for 1997 vehicles onwards. SN (the latest) came in 2010 and is the first spec to mention Ethanol Fuels. So basically if you are running ethanol fuel, I'd go for SN minimum. Regarding JASO ratings, you would be hard pressed to find a motorcycle oil that isn't JASO MA, so basically don't use automobile oil. Although MA2 rating I believe is a minor advantage over just MA, but nowhere near worth spending your money on then a higher API, although apparently MA2 is better for those who may ride the clutch a bit hard regularly.

Regarding AGIP oil, they have become ENI and the ENI oils that I could find suck so didn't make the list. The list below features only the best oils offered by the various brands mentioned in the thread (and any others I could think of), their highest spec premium oil since I expect we don't want to run our MV's on poverty-spec oil. The most motorcycle enthusiastic websites by far and away are Penrite, Fuchs and Ipone. In fact Fuchs second-rate oil was better then some of the other manufacturers best oil so two options from Fuchs.

If money and supply is no object, It's clear from the specs that Fuchs Pro 4 XP and Penrite MC4ST are the highest spec oils out there. Penrite reputation here in oz is pretty all round outstanding for absolutely everything they do, but the Fuchs website was positively motorcycle mad. Can't go wrong I reckon. There are a couple of SJ rated oils from Castrol and Mobil, but basically they had better be cheap in this company and I wouldn't want to run my bike on a specification developed for 1997 onwards vehicles.

Grade......................................5/40..20/50..10/60..API..JASO
Amsoil Synthetic.........................NO....YES......N O....SL...MA2
Belray EXS................................YES.....NO ......NO....SM..MA2
Castrol Power 1 Racing...............YES.....NO......NO.....SJ...M A2
Fuchs Silkoline Comp 4 XP............NO....YES.....NO.....SL...MA2
Fuchs Silkoline Pro 4 XP...............NO.....NO......YES...SN...MA2
Ipone Full Power Katana.............YES......NO.....YES...SM...MA2
Liqui-Moly 4T Synth Street Race..YES......NO.....YES...SM...MA2
Motul 7100 4T...........................NO......YES.....YES.. .SL....MA
Mobil Super 4T..........................NO......YES.....NO.... .SJ....MA
Penrite MC4ST..........................YES.....YES......YE S....SN...MA

Obviously a lot of us get through so little oil we sometimes guess at what the best oil is. Personally I think if you have a road bike and use the SAE in your handbook, and then choose by the API ratings versus $$$ is a good way to make an educated guess of what is best protection for road use.
Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Check out Penrite option too, Australian owned.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode