2001 F4 Headlight disassembly - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

2001 F4 Headlight disassembly

I have pulled the 2001 750 F4 out from under the covers for the first time in 2 years!!!. Too many personal issues to contend with in that time.
I last used the bike on a track day at Rockingham and binned it. I am pulling all the ancillaries off to see if anything nasty went through the engine and if the frame is bent etc.

On the headlight there is a small ring that is cast as part of the shell. It is used as a support for the fairing. Mine has snapped off. See pictures.
Has anyone successfully dismantled a headlight unit?
If so is it relatively simple?
Once apart it there anything in the back shell that would not react well to heat?
I'm thinking of welding/brazing it back together. Alternatively I could just glue it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 06:51 PM

New Site Garage
Hi mate.
You couldn't weld on that without removing it from the bike, which is real easy. Just go step by step, remember the cable routing and it'll be all good. The headlight itself comes out real easy once you've removed the clips and cables. Don't mess with the adjustment screws.
Going through the workshop manual will give you a good idea on how to do this, and the parts list will show you a decent dissected drawing of all the parts.
If all else fails, I've for a complete headlight unit up for sale, and all other front end parts.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Sorry but let me quantify exactly what I meant. I can see looking through the manuals that it looks like the clips around the headlight come off and you can then pull the whole thing to bits. I was hoping that someone had done this and put it all back together again. Obviously I was going to take the whole thing off the bike. Don't think putting heat anywhere near the cables and electrical system is a good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:29 AM

New Site Garage
Post Yes somebody has done this, several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
The headlight itself comes out real easy once you've removed the clips and cables. Don't mess with the adjustment screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Womble View Post
Sorry but let me quantify exactly what I meant. I was hoping that someone had done this and put it all back together again.
I understood perfectly what you meant, just thought you'd figure out the details without being sarcastic, the additional info was for the benefit of other readers of this post who might not be as experienced or smart.

There's two ways of doing this, the most common is to unscrew the three adjustment screws holding the headlight reflectors in place, this is easy but messes up the headlight alignment something terrible.

The other method, my preferred way, is to remove the three retainer clips which hold the adjustment screws in place. This means they will get damaged and you have to replace them, but that's far easier that re-adjusting that headlight in my experience and opinion.

I once replaced the clips with a circlip after adding an additional O-ring behind the washer to take up the tension and prevent vibration.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 10-03-2016 at 01:32 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
If you choose not to take the clips off and unscrew the adjusters instead. Make sure you take the headlight glass off before undoing anything.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

unplug the headlight..... remove the, dash, horn mount and relay mount, remove the 2 mounting bolts....take it to a TIG welder

you're talking 2, ~5mm welds on a big heat sink.... remove the rubber plug in the back

so he can clamp his ground clamp there

touch up the paint if you want...it can't be seen

welding for 61 years TIGGING for 40

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 10-06-2016 at 12:06 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry my misunderstanding. I thought you meant take of the bike. I have been looking at the prices of some of the bits that need replacing and its scary. I am a degree qualified mechanical engineer so I know my way around a work shop. Did a mechanical apprenticeship. I spent 9 months building and testing screw compressors, 3 years on a CNC lathe making them. Since then I have worked in a few different industry's all as a mechanical engineer.
I do work stuff out but I don't get my hands dirty much these days as sitting in front of a CAD screen. Hence due to my lack of a big income I need to repair much of it myself. Given what I do and the fact I have access to a CNC machine shop. They are open to the occasional homer.
This isn't a sarcastic reply nor was my first reply intended to be. I apologise if that's the way it came across.
Thank you for the reply as the pictures help massively

Last edited by MV Womble; 10-04-2016 at 05:04 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:19 PM

New Site Garage
No problem mate.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode