2007 Brutale 910R - Headlight issue at high rpm - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

2007 Brutale 910R - Headlight issue at high rpm

Hello all,

I was riding my Brutale yesterday first time at night and I found a strange and concerning behavior of the headlight.

Every time I accelerated a little faster the headlight would switch off or dim (I can't exactly tell).
I have searched the forum for similar issues but I haven't found anything related.

Did anyone have similar issues and could help me?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Maybe an alternator or rectifier/regulator issue? Alternator's really the only component in the electrical system that has variable output based on rpm. Voltage regulators go very frequently on motorcycles, often due to heat and just normal use. The tell-tale sign of a bad reg/rect is dim or intermittent lights, so prob first thing you should check. Check both though, but I'm not certain how on our bikes. Regulators are typically deck of bridge cards-sized ally things bolted to the frame somewhere, but I have no idea where ours is, or if it might even be built-in to the alternator or FI system. The manual references it, but doesn't picture it. Sometimes I miss old-ass bikes!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM

New Site Garage
I doubt it's the alternator and or regulator, your bike wouldn't be running for long if that was faulty.
If the rest of your lighting stays on while the headlight goes out then it's either a bad connection on the bulb, or you have a SPU problem.
I'd check connections both ways.
PS. Rectifier is on the alternator, and when that doesn't work a light on your dash comes on signalling battery problem.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:19 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I discovered my index finger was resting on the "flash-to-pass" button and I would inadvertently depress the switch when I really twisted the throttle hard.......

I will bet your finger touching that button is the cause...and you will never figure it out until you pay close attention to where your hand/finger are when you whack that throttle on hard.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice!
Since I don't get the low battery warning I doubt that it could be my alternator. I also always plug the battery in after riding and it always is completely charged.
I will check the SPU version and I will also try to pay attention to what my left hand is doing
I hope that it's just my nervous left finger ;-)

Last edited by heRmi; 09-24-2016 at 10:11 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 AM

It took months for me to find the headlight issue on mine so I hope this may be the "light" you need. As many have found out, virtually everything on the bike through the ecu. The result it that issues in normally unrelated systems can affect others unexpectedly and certainly not in what most would consider the normal diagnostic path.

When mine reached certain rpm/speeds the headlight would go out. Happened at night accelerating accelerating past 85mph entering into a 100degree left on the edge of town (unlit road, almost killed me).

THE PROBLEM
In my case found there was a short in the wiring harness as is goes into the switch housing to the signal switch. The wires are smashed together pretty tight and I happened to find ONE bare strand on ONE wire that goes into the blinker switch. Normally an unrelated system in regards to a headlight issue.

I stress, ONLY one strand on one wire could barely be seen though it was evident that that particular wire and another couple were being smashed flat. As I manipulated the wires, more strands revealed themselves. I did not chase down the half dozen possible shorts that could have been created. ...Several months of frustration spurred me to simply eliminate any chance that what I found could create an issue of any type.

THE FIX
I unsoldered the wire from the switch, put on a piece of heat shrink, resoldered the conductor to the switch, cleaned with flux remover (cools it down and cleans it, ...91% rubbing alcohol works) and after closely inspecting each and every wire at that location (where it enters the switch housing). I carefully realigned all the wires to reduce the compressive force exerted when buttoned up. ...Avoid any potential problems, do not reassemble the housing if there is any heat left in the wire(s)!

The issue was totally resolved.

I must stress that it took opening the switch a number of times and actually removing the turn signal switch from the housing to spot the single strand that was BARELY visible once I started separating the wires. Had I not separated the wires I would not have spotted it.

I had looked at least six times over 3 months or so and was almost ready to strip the bike and make a track bike, ...or see how far it would fly

I've been chasing electrons for over 50 years and have rarely run into such a challenging cross system issue in such a simple electrical system. It's scary.

Normally very reliable, these bike are truly amazing bikes and worth every effort if you have the time to go through thing methodically.
Every once in a while I get the notion to redesign the wiring and electronics , I twist the throttle a bit more. Cures that.

Let me know what you find.

Happy trails

07 Brutale
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 AM

BTW ...esq'z me is on point as well. I had the headlight dim a number of times as well and it ended up being my finger inadvertently hitting the button.
Kinda like wondering why your bike won't start and then noticing it's not in neutral or the kickstand is down. I know that never happens to me

07 Brutale
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Damn, and here I was thinking that maybe you simply surpassed the speed of light momentarily.....

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 03:29 PM

glad you got it right . by any chance did you take pictures? is this a build related problem or someone else was in there before you? thx

even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:32 AM

It was a build issue on a bike occurring around 1500 miles. A little more care during assembly would have prevented them being smashed. Late night when I found it so no px. All you'd see now is a piece of heat shrink a wire...

And yes, momentarily attaining warp speed has been an issue. I was in orbit long enough that they promoted me from space cadet to Admiral

07 Brutale

Last edited by SlowRide; 10-16-2016 at 04:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode