countershaft seal question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

countershaft seal question

I finally decided to replace the countershaft seal which I've suspected for a while was the cause of my self lubing chain.
I braced myself for a fight with the front sprocket nut however it was barely tight I reckon my missus could have undone it
Luckily the lock washer was doing its job.
Having removed the sprocket and sleeve I wondered why there is nothing to stop oil from leaking between the splines of the shaft and the sleeve.
I've looked in the parts catalogue and the engine rebuild manual and there doesn't appear to be anything missing so is it just the tightness of the assembly when the sprocket nut is torqued up or am I having a blonde moment?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 AM

New Site Garage
For a long time I thought my bike might be leaking around the countershaft, but upon closer examination it turned out to be a combination of oil seapage from the front of the motor and down from the airbox.

Could a plugged crank vent pressure the motor up enough to push oil past the seal? if there aren't many kms on the bike and the chain isn't regularly overtightened, it seems odd the seal would go enough to be a noticeable leak.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I've had seals go on previous bikes and as we know, oil will find its way out through the smallest gap, especially when its hot, and a little goes a long way. Especially when the chain is flinging it about!
Behind the cover was pretty oily and I've degreased the area previously so I know its relatively fresh. One thing that may have contributed to the leak is that the oil level was high, as in somewhere beyond the top of the sight glass thanks to the dealership where I get it serviced
Why do some mechanics think that too much oil is OK, the BMW dealer in Perth almost always overfilled my Adventure.
I'm beginning to theorise that too much oil and not enough torque on the sprocket nut may be the root cause of the problem although the service records show that the leak was reported by the previous owner, (and subsequently dismissed as overzealous use of chain lube) by the service department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 AM

New Site Garage
There's a seal missing there mate.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I think he's pulled the seal out Donsy.

A lot of bikes use an o-ring to seal the collar to the shaft.....but those are generally pressure oil fed shafts.....I would just button it up with a new seal and be happy.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 09-18-2016 at 09:01 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I have a vague memory that on previous bikes I've worked on there was an O ring behind the collar and there is a small chamfer on the bore of the collar that would accomodate one. It just seemed a bit odd that there is no seal between the collar and the shaft, and yes Donsy, I took the photos after I removed the seal. Reckon it would leak oil like an old Pommie bike if I tried to ride it without the seal.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

I figured as much, I've never had to replace one of those seals, and have never had one leak, but I removed one the other day to get the measurements and confirm it's a double lip seal (twin lipped 35x47x7 R23) for another forum member.

I recon your leak was probably because your sprocket nut was not pulled up tight as I imagine you figured out already.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to whobeyou Send a message via Skype™ to whobeyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
I've had seals go on previous bikes and as we know, oil will find its way out through the smallest gap, especially when its hot, and a little goes a long way. Especially when the chain is flinging it about!
Behind the cover was pretty oily and I've degreased the area previously so I know its relatively fresh. One thing that may have contributed to the leak is that the oil level was high, as in somewhere beyond the top of the sight glass thanks to the dealership where I get it serviced
Why do some mechanics think that too much oil is OK, the BMW dealer in Perth almost always overfilled my Adventure.
I'm beginning to theorise that too much oil and not enough torque on the sprocket nut may be the root cause of the problem although the service records show that the leak was reported by the previous owner, (and subsequently dismissed as overzealous use of chain lube) by the service department.
On a side note: I usually check my oil within 30 seconds of just shutting off my bike, and use that line. If I let it sit for an extended period of time, it will register WAY high. This has been the same for every bike that I've owned, and I'm assuming the same concept for the MV.

When did you check your oil? Most manuals will say to let it run till warm, shut it off and check while the bike is upright.

-whobeyou

Bikes:
2006 Ninja ZX10R (Sold)
2008 Streetbob (Sold)
1999 Ninja ZX9R (Sold)
2016 YZF-R3 (Wifes!)
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
1981 KZ1000CSR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
My standard has always been to wait at least two minutes.
You should wait until the engine drains to the sump.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Because the bike was a bit of an unknown quantity when I first bought it I was checking it before each ride so it had stood overnight. My issue was, once the level is beyond the top of the sight glass you're in no mans land in terms of how much oil is in the sump. I've drained it now and will refill until its roughly 7/8 up the sight glass and then whatever is left will tell me how much oil was put into it at the last service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode