A few odd observances - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
kbw
Established Member

A few odd observances

Hi All,

The bike (2010 1090rr) was running a little strange this week so I decided to take the tank off and examine. I had also noticed evidence of an engine oil leak in around the voltage regulator area during previous maintenance. I'm mechanically competent, but don't have too much knowledge of engines, so I could use your expertise.

A few observations:
1. The throttle body assembly seems to have oil around the gasket as shown here:

Is this normal or is this an issue?

2. Is this discoloration on the edge of the valve normal?

3. The wires on the voltage regulator seem to be fried. They are so dry and crispy stiff, the plastic snaps off when moving it. There was also oil coming out of the heat shrink material. I will be replacing the wiring, but am concerned with the possible reason.

4. Upon taking off my fuel tank, I realized that the vent/overflow y-tube that goes on the bottom of the flange is missing on my bike. Not sure if it should be present on my model year. I realize after researching this that the engine running strangely this week might be due to me overfilling the tank, a habit i picked up on my previous bike.

I have searched the forum but have not found answers, Please advise. Thanks!

Last edited by kbw; 09-04-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added that I have searched the forum already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM

New Site Garage
Mate, not trying to sound shitty here, but that's not an oil leak around the throttle bodies and the rubber boots/tubes, its probably a bit of luge left behind from when the throttle bodies where last installed, the grease or oil will help keep the rubber from drying out and cracking.
A bit of oil or grease leftover on a motor in a place like this is not unusual or dangerous.

The buildup on the throttle body butterfly could be due to bad tuning, or bad sealing air filter/airbox, is it only on one cylinder?

The wiring is probably due to a loose fitting plug, it also happens around the starter solenoid under the seat, so check on that too.

As for the vent tubes, look at the parts lists for your bike as they show a good layout, you have downloaded them and the workshop manuals I presume?

Whoever did that masterlink on your chain did a terrible chop, buy a new one and replace it or get it replaced.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 09-04-2016 at 08:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
kbw
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Mate, not trying to sound shitty here, but that's not an oil leak around the throttle bodies and the rubber boots/tubes, its probably a bit of luge left behind from when the throttle bodies where last installed, the grease or oil will help keep the rubber from drying out and cracking.
A bit of oil or grease leftover on a motor in a place like this is not unusual or dangerous.

The buildup on the throttle body butterfly could be due to bad tuning, or bad sealing air filter/airbox, is it only on one cylinder?

The wiring is probably due to a loose fitting plug, it also happens around the starter solenoid under the seat, so check on that too.

As for the vent tubes, look at the parts lists for your bike as they show a good layout, you have downloaded them and the workshop manuals I presume?

Whoever did that masterlink on your chain did a terrible chop, buy a new one and replace it or get it replaced.
Donsy, thanks for clarifying and no worries on how it comes off, I'm wasn't sure so just wanted to ask. That's good to hear about the throttle bodies.

The residue on the butterfly is on each cylinder. I currently have the arrow header with the stock muffler and did not return, so that may be the culprit.

The starter relay did give me troubles and has been replaced and rewired, so I will do rewire the voltage regulator also.

I do have the Manual and it does show the y tube, but the tubes are nowhere to be found when I take the tank off. I'll reach out to the previous owner to see if he removed it as I read some others have done in other threads.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 PM

New Site Garage
Ok no worries, the tube is pretty easy to get, probably something like windscreen washer tube, just rubber not plastic, no serious heat or pressure resistance required, any auto shop should be able to help.
Good luck, don't forget that masterlink on the chain, that's dodgy looking.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
kbw
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Ok no worries, the tube is pretty easy to get, probably something like windscreen washer tube, just rubber not plastic, no serious heat or pressure resistance required, any auto shop should be able to help.
Good luck, don't forget that masterlink on the chain, that's dodgy looking.
Thanks. Oh yeah, I replaced the chain months ago. It's odd because that was the stock chain. It came that way from factory , looks like they doubled up on the o-rings.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:53 PM

I presume the lack of throttle balance tubes is because you have removed them during disassembly?

The dirt on the butterflies can also come from lack of sealing of the trumpets to the airbox underside. I have used a rubberised sealer for that area.

The alternator is oil cooled. The rubber grommet around where the wires exit can sometimes weep.
I have removed the 3 pin connector plug between the alternator and the regulator. Heat from a bad connection seems to be a common thing, even in other brands. (Ask an Aprilia owner about the brown plug issue)
The Following User Says Thank You to revhead1957 For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
kbw
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead1957 View Post
I presume the lack of throttle balance tubes is because you have removed them during disassembly?

The dirt on the butterflies can also come from lack of sealing of the trumpets to the airbox underside. I have used a rubberised sealer for that area.

The alternator is oil cooled. The rubber grommet around where the wires exit can sometimes weep.
I have removed the 3 pin connector plug between the alternator and the regulator. Heat from a bad connection seems to be a common thing, even in other brands. (Ask an Aprilia owner about the brown plug issue)
I did not remove it during disassembly, hence my concern. There is evidence of weeping from that point, so that's probably the source of oil I notice around the area. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode