Problem Down shifting - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Problem Down shifting

I had my bike in at the shop to have a reverse drum installed. I have not ridden it much since then. On previous trips I had noticed that during down shifting it would not always take. I would have to try it twice a couple of times. Today I went on a small errand and every time I needed to down shift, I would have to do it several times before it would take. Even in first gear. The lever will move 3 out of 4 times like it can shift down again. On the forth time it will stop like normal and not move.

So what are my options? Bike shifted fine before the reverse drum was installed. Have not had very good luck with just general communication with the dealer and think I am giving up on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 04:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Hi Andrew.
Surely the guys who did this work guarantee the quality of their work.
As it stands, this is unsafe.

I guess I have two questions.
The first one is did you supply any parts for this job?
Secondly, most folks opt for reverse shift systems because of high lean angles, typically during track use. Do you prefer the reverse shift system or do you actually need it?
Ciao,
Dave.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
Hi Andrew.
Surely the guys who did this work guarantee the quality of their work.
As it stands, this is unsafe.

I guess I have two questions.
The first one is did you supply any parts for this job?
Secondly, most folks opt for reverse shift systems because of high lean angles, typically during track use. Do you prefer the reverse shift system or do you actually need it?
Ciao,
Dave.

They supplied the drum. I paid for it in February. Part arrived in March. After spending the entire day there I was told they sent the standard drum and not the reverse drum. New part was to be ordered. I would call once a month and was told they would get an answer and call me back. Never called me back. I knew MV was having supplier issues at the time so I did not push the issue. After several months of calls with no call back for solution and seeing that other members were getting their parts. I called and spoke to a manager. 2 weeks later I had the part. First of July I had the work done. They had me take it out in the lot for a small test ride to see if everything was OK. It was fine at that time. I have been on 3 rides since and it has acted up some, but today was bad. To show another reason why I am displeased with this dealer. I called back a week after the work was done to see if they changed the oil filter when they did the work, since they had to drain the oil. I was told yes, I did not pay for a filter but since I waited nearly 6 months for a part I had already paid for and this was the second trip to get the job done. I felt they must of threw it in on the job. When I had the fairing off to see that the clutch cover is not sealed correctly and I have a very small leak--another reason I am mad. This also happened after the first visit that I had to fix. I discover that the filter is still the same one.

For your second question. I have been doing the GP shifting for years and feel the most comfortable this way. I drove Mono Lisa for about 500 miles this spring before the reverse drum was installed and had several mis-shifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Do you by chance have an STM Slipper clutch ?

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
Do you by chance have an STM Slipper clutch ?
It has what is stock in the engine.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

spring failure #25 or #35......

it was mis-shifting before the drum was installed......

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 PM

New Site Garage
Sounds like it's not fully releasing the clutch plates. On my STM it was because the diaphragm spring screws were backing out and the spring could not fully actuate and release the friction plates- made down shifting so bad I wore a hole on top of my big toe throughout the day at the track. Pull the clutch cover off and have a look. You can tell M that with the parts holdup in Italy that you'll never get the OEM springs Noel is talking about in time for the Gap, and that you need an STM slipper or similar instead.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:29 PM

New Site Garage
What Noel said.

Cheers

Deano
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:30 PM

New Site Garage
From what Andrew describes I'd agree with Noel, it's a spring problem at the very least. I doubt very much it's the clutch Ian, not with lever movement like he describes.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:52 PM

New Site Garage
I guess I misunderstand, are we talking about the shift lever or the clutch lever?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode