Beru Ignition Coils - Urgent Help!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Exclamation Beru Ignition Coils - Urgent Help!!

Hi guys,

I really need some help. I have recently purchased some beru coils from kneedragger996 in the States to replace the old Champion ones in my Brutale. They bare the same part number as the one that MV in Perth fitted to my bike a while back but have different connectors on them. Looking at it, it seems that the guys in Perth rewired the one they fitted as the connector on the wiring loom to that coil doesn't match the other 3. So my dilemma is, how do I do the same! I have bought new connectors to fit to the loom and the coils and I have consulted the manual but I don't know what wire on the coil to match to which wire in the loom. All the Beru coils have 1x Yellow, 1xBlack and 1x Red where as the wiring in the loom appears to be in pairs, with cyl 1&2 sharing a 1 set of colours while 3&4 share a different set. To make it more confusing cyl 3&4 only have 2 colour sets. below is what I have noted from the wiring on the bike.

Cyl1 - 1x Green/Red, 1xBlue, 1x Red/White
Cyl2 - 1x Green/Red, 1xBlue, 1x Red/White
Cyl3 - 2x Green/Red, 1xBlue
Cyl4 - 2x Green/Red, 1xBlue

I think I have established that black will always be the centre wire and therefor match to the blue wires.

I really need to get these fitted this week so if someone is able to help work out how to pair up the wires i would be very grateful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I have just had a thought... (no it didn't hurt, before anyone asks!!)

Does it actually matter what way round the wires go? so long and the black goes to blue. It suddenly dawned on me that the coils aren't cyl specific so it should matter what way round the other wires go? right? or wrong?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Yes it does matter, don't do stupid. Take a real close look at the BERU coils, I mean a real close look at the connectors,you will find they are numbered, the wires are numbered 1, 2 and 3. Again take a really close look at the loom plug, guess what, they are also numbered 1,2 and 3. You can of course look at the wiring diagrams but trust me it is that simple. You may need glasses or even a magnifying glass but it works, done it on our now gone 750 Brute and no issues. If in doubt stop and ask again.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimboF4 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I had seen the numbers, and had wondered if it were as simple as that, I'll get the note pad out and start numbering the colours. Thanks very much for the help
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:00 PM

Yep that simple, follow that job done, good luck, not sure what three pin connectors you using but I went for the AMP Superseal ones, no solder required and good waterproof properties. Just make sure you crimp them good and problem solving solved.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I have something similar but they are pre wired, which I didn't realise when I ordered them. so I will need to cut the existing connectors off and attach the new ones with some butt connectors and plenty of heat shrink.
However it looks like life is not so easy after all. I have just been out and checked the numbering on the bike and new coils.

Beru (used ones from kneedragger996) says Red=1, Black=2, Yellow=3. But the one that is currently installed on the bike form the dealer is numbered the other way around. Since they have replaced both connectors (the one on the coil and the one on the loom) Do I assume that they have reversed 1 and 3 on both ends so all is good. I assume if they had crossed the wires they would have known about it as soon as they started the bike!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Just looked at my spare BERU coils they are pin 1 red (rhs) pin 2 black (middle) pin 3 yellow (one).

Just wire pin 1 to 1 ect, can't really go wrong, don't know what dealer done but it worked for me, not being an electrical genius maybe it does not matter but the above routine certainly works.

jimboF4

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
so yours are the same as mine then. I will go with your advice and just match the numbers.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM

New Site Garage
Calcifur, do not use butt connectors and heat shrink please, use Sureseal or Superseal connectors at the very least, Jimbo is onto it with good advice.
Did you look at your wiring diagram at all ? Note how each coil fires 2 cylinders at once on your bike, batch firing, that should answer some of your original questions.
FWIW, the pins on the original plugs can be removed and reinserted without damage, you get the tool from electronics suppliers, or any thin hollow tube (big hyperdermic needle) which will push over the pins from the front, closing the locating fins and allowing them to be pulled out backwards without damage.
Hope that helps.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Go to this web site

http://cycleterminal.com/

They have everything you need, including tools.

Coils have 3 wires...Common power (Battery voltage), Common ground (Battery negative), and ECU Ground (the one that makes the coil "fire").
Easy Peasy....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode