Did my SPU crap out? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Did my SPU crap out?

HI guys, I'm looking for some first hand opinions here. My Brutale is an 05 750s with roughly 7k on it. This past week it started exhibiting some strange behavior. The high beams were illuminated non stop while riding regardless of the switch position, then yesterday morning it was very reluctant to start. Cranking over but no ignition for multiple tries...not typical. When it did fire up I rode it to work and it seemed fine. When I went to leave it cranked and cranked to no advail. I smelled gas but it seemed like spark was not present as it did not even attempt to fire. Fuse pannel looked fine and as I didn't have any tools I was pretty limited as to my diagnosing options. Now when I try to turn the key on the dash is blank and dimly lit and the gauges don't sweep...granted the lithium battery might be drained from trying to start it repeatedly but it's a less than year old properly charged ballistic 6 cell so I don't think that's the gremln.

Do you all think it's the spu? If so what are the best prices/vendors in the states to obtain a new one? My bike was recently dyno tuned and chipped by ferracci should I be able to salvage that chip and continue on my merry way, or is it all tied together and now I've got to redo all that..? I'm not super electro savvy so any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch! Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Ben, first thing check the backing side of the current SPU, if it's blue that will confirm it is a known problem item, if it is black you may have had the old one replaced, you don't say how long you have owned the bike.

Certainly the high beam on all the time and bizarre electrical stuff are the signs of the blue spu. Dulldash and lack of tacho sweep indicate low battery voltage do you have a master to test it? Lithium batteries hate to be desired ed down and can become dangerous if over discharged, do you have a proper charger for the lithium? If so connect up and leave until you know it's recovered.

As for buying in the states I will leave that to a stateside member to comment on, if your looking for a good vendor can't go far wrong with one of the sponsors like startwin.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I've owned the bike since 1,200 miles and have never replaced the ecu. I'm unsure if the previous owner has or has not upgraded but it was bone stock when I took ownership. Tomorrow I'll verify by removing the spu. As far as the battery goes it was very hot after repeated failures to start yesterday, then it seemingly lost all cranking power. I do have the digital charger so I'll make sure it's not fried. Any idea about the chip upgrade survivability/removal? Thanks for your help Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM

SPU sounds like it's starting to play silly buggers, but you also need to fully charge the battery...Lithium's can also cause problems when partially drained!

Dave.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:03 PM

Chip should be OK, does sound like you have stressed the lithium battery, allow it to cool and then charge it. Lithiums do not like over discharging so keep an eye on it and if it gets hot stop the charge.

The original SPU blue backed items are know to fail, in my case the fuel pump relay was the issue so no fuel pressure and no start. But they can fail in a variety of ways, weird electrical issues such as of switching off when turned off and headlamp permanently on are all signs.

Good luck and keep an eye on the battery charging.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I've been pretty meticulous about balance charging the battery since the first one dipped below the recommended voltage causing it's premature failure. I hope the repeated attempts at starting yesterday didn't cook it as well. At any rate it was the least of my concern's knowing the cost of potentially replacing the ecu would far exceed a battery. Tomorrow I'll pull the ecu and determine if it's a blue backed dud. Again if anyone can recommend replacement vendors in the states that are good price wise it would be much appreciated. "I'm sure ferracci would bend me over the barrel for msrp." When it comes to handling and removing the aftermarket chip is it similar to automobiles in that a clean environment is needed "no static, gloved hands etc?" One last question, are the 750 and 910 model specific or do they share a common ecu/map?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uponone19 View Post
Thanks guys, I've been pretty meticulous about balance charging the battery since the first one dipped below the recommended voltage causing it's premature failure. I hope the repeated attempts at starting yesterday didn't cook it as well. At any rate it was the least of my concern's knowing the cost of potentially replacing the ecu would far exceed a battery. Tomorrow I'll pull the ecu and determine if it's a blue backed dud. Again if anyone can recommend replacement vendors in the states that are good price wise it would be much appreciated. "I'm sure ferracci would bend me over the barrel for msrp." When it comes to handling and removing the aftermarket chip is it similar to automobiles in that a clean environment is needed "no static, gloved hands etc?" One last question, are the 750 and 910 model specific or do they share a common ecu/map?
You will be looking for the service power unit (SPU), not the ecu for the blue vs black back. it's located behind the right side cover of the fuel tank vs underneath the front. You will probably need to remove the tank in order to check. There is a post stickied in the Brutale forum by CAG that goes over which SPU you need. I know that there is one other fellow and myself who have spare 8A00A9300 SPUs for sale.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:14 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by uponone19 View Post
Do not confuse the ECU with the SPU.
And the mapping between the 750 and 910 are not the same, later model 910's have an altogether different ECU.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:45 PM
APU

As above. Check your battery

Pull your fuse panel. Look for the sticker on the back side of the panel.
Upgraded SPU has 12 fuses. Original should be 13 fuses.

Click here for SPU info

Click here for vendor Star Twin

Last edited by APU; 07-31-2016 at 03:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to APU For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:44 AM

Ben:

I have an 04 Brutale 750...early VIN that experienced an SPU failure late this past spring. Crazy stuff, highbeam worked one day then not the next, signals worked intermittantly, then it stopped charging the battery while running and left me stranded. I ordered the correct SPU (there are two models depending on your VIN) from Star Twin Trading (Netherlands or Belgium) I could ot find a stateside vendor with the unit I needed. Anyway, I had the new SPU in about 10 days....all problems instantly solved...happiness.
I don't know if your Li battery is causing or adding to the issues...maybe swap it out to check. Good luck.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode