2006 Brutale 910S Now Won't Start: SPU? More? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2006 Brutale 910S Now Won't Start: SPU? More?

Hi all,

========
Short story:
========
I washed my '06 Brutale 910S and stared it up, but ran out of time to take it on the first real ride this year. Put it away. Took it out two weeks later, and hit the starter. Was surprised when it didn't grumble to life, and I thought I heard a whine. Tried again and only got a CLICK. Several times just a CLICK. Then...nothing. Dash and gauges on...but no starter action. Charged it overnight (with a "smart" tender/charger via the quick connector with the battery in the bike). Next day, same story...absolutely nothing when I hit the starter switch. I've never replaced the SPU. Is it the obvious culprit here? Should I check a few other simple things? I've always "wanted" to upgrade the SPU since I always had minor wonky headlamp / left turn signal / engine stall annoyances that I knew were related...but now it just won't start. Different problem entirely or related?

==================================
Full history (beware all ye who enter here)
==================================
My '06 Brutale 910S has always had some electrical gremlins: a haunted headlamp that sometimes flicks to high beams and back to low on its own...a left turn signal that doesn't always light when I flip the switch...and the occasional engine stall that was always easy enough to recover from with a flick of the starter (if a more than a bit worrisome for what might happens in a hairpin under power).

Last couple years it's been ridden only infrequently. Last year the battery seemed to be somewhat "drained" when it shouldn't be (after a ride or just sitting there for a time). I have a red/yellow/green indicator on the quick connect of my "smart" tender/charger and it was going yellow all the time for no reason. Eventually I was mid ride and it just went dark..no electrical...just dead. The battery seemed to be gone, so I bought another Yuasa YTZ10S, had a basic check-up service done (oil/filter/tune-up, etc) at my MV dealer, had them make sure it seemed right to them and I was back in business. They seemed to believe I might have some kind of voltage drain "somewhere"...but this remained a minor mystery to be forgotten about since it was running well again. Even the turn signals and headlamp demons seemed to be miraculously exorcised!

This year I took it out, washed it off, cleaned the chain, started it up. Ran out of time to really go for a ride, and had to put it away.

Two weeks later I'm finally geared up to do a long ride, so I switch it to ON, watch the needle do it's thing around the tach, disengage the red kill switch (yes, I did this!), get it in neutral, kickstand up, clutch held in, hit the starter. ... I'm surprised when it doesn't fire up. I think I hear a kind of whine. Hit starter again, I hear only a CLICK. I try a few more times and get only a CLICK. Now I try again and I get nothing. Not even a click.

I put the bike on the charger and let it go overnight. Next day: dash/gauges are on, but starter button has zero effect. No click, nothing. I think I remember that I didn't see the green N light even though it was definitely in Neutral. But I had the kickstand up and the clutch in, so I have no idea why that would even matter...but it does smell of more electrical weirdness.

I'm planning to check (wiggle? clean??) the clutch switch, the kickstand switch, and the gear selection switch. I'm planning to check for loose or burnt/melted connectors at the starter relay. I'll check for blown fuses on the starter relay and on the existing (old) SPU. Regardless of the no-starting problem, I will do the SPU replace. Is there any hope if I don't see anything else obvious that this is the whole problem? Is it a bad idea to plug in the new SPU part if I don't have an expert look for a short somewhere that I can't find? I don't want to have to rent a trailer to get it to the MV shop (again!) if I haven't done at least a little common sense work myself to avoid an even bigger expense here...but in the end I just ant to know it's finally put right and I can rely on it reasonably.

Did that whine->click->nothing indicate my starter solenoid is dead? Can I just short it to diagnose?

Each moment, only once.

Last edited by Samurai Jack; 06-21-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 06:37 PM

New Site Garage
I'd replace the battery 1st, or at least remove and charge with a decent charger. The whine/click you hear is fuel pump priming, the rest sounds like low battery.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
...or a loose battery connection.

Check tightness and condition of grounds and battery connections.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

1st take a picture of the battery connections......

remove it and charge it .....take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load

tested, don't go to a motorcycle shop they'll want to replace your 2 year old battery

Buy a little tube of dielectric grease

Clean both ends of the battery cables and the wires to the solenoid apply the grease

The battery goes in on its side!!!! check your picture

It should start.....push start if necessary..... measure the system voltage at idle

Report back

Check the color of the back of your SPU if it's blue that's the cause of the goofy stuff

There is a sticky at the top of the Brutale section with the correct part number for your

bike it goes by VIN

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode