Speedo, tach, and starter button not working F4 1000S - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Speedo, tach, and starter button not working F4 1000S

So after swapping out a radiator I started up the bike and it ran as it should've.

After one day of sitting my Speedometer doesn't read, the tachometer doesn't read engine RPM (though it does do the sweep on startup, which I assume means it's not getting signal from the CPU?) and the starter button, instead of triggering the MFD, simply drops the voltage across the instrument panel circuit like it's trying to crank the engine while running.

Is there a relay somewhere that controls all this or something? I also recently had to replace a plug to my block temp sensor as one of the connections in the plug went flakey and wasn't sending signal to the fan relay. Any idea if it could've been there?

Workshop manual mentioned checking the speed sensor, but I only see it mentioned there with a code that's nowhere to be found in the engine manual. Workshop manual also seems to mention cables that are nowhere to be found on the instrument panel plug or the CPU, as it's saying to test continuity between pin 16 on the instrument plug and 20 (which is not connected to that at all) on the CPU. Looking at the wiring diagram shows me pin 16 to run into pin 24 on the CPU.

I recently swapped batteries as well. Is it possible that could've blown something? Also, is there a sensor that runs straight into the speedometer somewhere or does the bike simply use the RPM and gear to calculate speed like a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:50 AM

It is possible to blow the diodes if you reverse connect the battery.

The speedo sensor is a Hall effect pickup I think. It reads the revolutions of the drive sprocket via a phonic wheel .

It is possible to inadvertently swap the side stand and speed sensor connectors as they're the same.

Good luck
Joe
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

The battery was never reverse connected. I noticed the sideways battery and made sure the negative terminal was in the right spot.

The diodes are the little 3-prong plug with a cap-looking connector on it next to the battery, correct?

Bike runs perfectly fine aside from non-working instrument display features (though temp works strangely enough)

Speed sensor connector is not swapped to sidestand after checking those plugs. All connections are correct according to what I could find in the workshop manual. The connection is broken somewhere, but looking at the wiring diagram and everything I can't for the life of me figure out where the hell the readout on the instrument cluster is coming from.

As for the starter button issue, any idea what could be causing that? There has to be a relay somewhere or something that opens when the bike is running so you can cycle through the functions on the cluster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the forum.
Before you do any more digging, make sure the battery is properly charged mate.
Sounds like you've got a bad connection on a (-) wire somewhere, usualy a blue wire in your wiring loom, I suspect either the big multi pin plug at front of bike, or behind the dash itself.

Yes that plug next to the battery holds the diodes, but if the bike starts and runs then I doubt there's anything wrong there.

The ECU does not control the dash functions once the bike is running, I'll have a look at the drawings again but I'm sure your problem is just something small like a bad connection. Swap the Power and Latch relays which are located under your seat to see if that does anything.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Before you do any more digging, make sure the battery is properly charged mate.
Sounds like you've got a bad connection on a (-) wire somewhere, usualy a blue wire in your wiring loom, I suspect either the big multi pin plug at front of bike, or behind the dash itself.

Yes that plug next to the battery holds the diodes, but if the bike starts and runs then I doubt there's anything wrong there.

The ECU does not control the dash functions once the bike is running, I'll have a look at the drawings again but I'm sure your problem is just something small like a bad connection. Swap the Power and Latch relays which are located under your seat to see if that does anything.
Thanks for the welcome!

Battery is properly charged and has been on a trickle charger for as long as the bike has been sitting. Still pushes out 12v.

I'll definitely check the negative connection there. Swapping the latch and power relays didn't change anything. Both relays click when the ignition is turned on and work as intended.

By big multi-pin plug would you mean one of the two plugs that sit next to the dash underneath the instrument plates next to the instrument cluster, or am I missing another plug somewhere that I can test?

Many thanks for the help!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
The battery should be putting out 13.2vdc at rest and the system should maintain 14.5vdc (ish) when running.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:47 AM

fuse in the SPU
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:47 AM

Or Spu
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
The battery should be putting out 13.2vdc at rest and the system should maintain 14.5vdc (ish) when running.
Just tested, battery is reading 12.9V at rest and 13.8 running. I'd chock up any differences to my multimeter being really cheap.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:15 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
fuse in the SPU
no SPU available on a F4

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode