Mysterious Not Start Issue - 1st Problem! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Mysterious Not Start Issue - RESOLVED

Hello Gents,

I just passed 30K trouble free miles on my '08 Brutale 910S and just had it's first major issue! The bike has been so reliable, I'm a poster child in town because I don't get teased for having an Italian bike! The bike has been sitting for 3 weeks and I assumed my 1 year old EarthX lithium battery was the culprit. (can't hook up a charger due to my living area at the moment) The bike has been running as reliable as a Japanese bike and have kept up all scheduled maintenance since I took her home almost 4 years ago. My last ride was uneventful 3 weeks ago, everything was perfect.

NO START. The only lights that come on are the neutral, battery and oil LEDs in the dash when I turn on the ignition. Removed the battery and recharged it overnight. Has over 13.8 volts and put it back in the bike. Same issue. No sign of any electrical activity except the 3 lights in the dash. No horn, no clicking, fuel pump etc. No load showing on battery when ignition is on. It just seems like a dead battery issue. Hooked up my buddy's F4 battery and still nothing. Checked all fuses and all are good. So tired from working 14 hours today and going to bed. Does anyone have any obvious suggestions for items to check before I begin serious troubleshooting in the morning? Thank you!

88 BMW M5 (Dinan Stroker -Euro Conversion)
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
2016 Range Rover SVR

Last edited by M5zealot; 06-06-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Resolved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:01 AM

When you turn the ignition on you should get all the dash lights on for a second or two and hear the fuel pump prime. If it's not doing that then it is most likely a fuse fault or the CPU maybe going bad. Does yours have a blue back to it or a black back?

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:17 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Wow,what a stunning looking bike,just love that Burnt Orange colour.Very much sounds like a SPU issue which Jim meant to say (typo).
Have a read here-
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41943

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 06-04-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:28 AM

New Site Garage
And to add to what Jim and Mitch said, make sure you connected the battery correct, that you didn't swap polarities by mounting the battery upright instead of on its side.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the replies! Going down to the garage and check on the SPU. It looks like all the symptoms stated in several threads show pretty serious gremlins. I have not experienced any of the turn signal, headlight or bike continuing to run gremlins ever in four years. I was just hoping there was a major relay that is known to fail and easy to get too for this, just like on my M5. Oh yes, always make sure I have polarity on the battery correct. I would have to be in a coma to get that wrong. I'll keep you guys updated.

2016 Range Rover SVR
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Established Member

Has the neutral switch managed to sit between on and off and is kidding the electrics in thinking the bikes in gear.

KLEIN
XTZ 1200
1078RR
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 07:08 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVAGOGO View Post
Has the neutral switch managed to sit between on and off and is kidding the electrics in thinking the bikes in gear.
The Neutral switch is a single wire switch which goes to "earth" when switched, so it's either on or off. The rest of the system should still work regardless.

Sorry if the battery question annoyed you OP, even some of the most experienced guys on this forum got this wrong at some stage.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hey, guys. The comment about the battery didn't annoy me at all. I was really said in jest. I had a reverse polarity issue when I was helping my dad restore a classic car when I was a teenager. The car not only burned down but almost took the whole house too! You only make that mistake once!

I couldn't see the color of the SPU w/out removing the tank and had to help another buddy w/ a more serious issue today. I did see in another thread the newer SPU has only 12 fuses instead of 13 in the old one. Mine has 12. I check a few more connections and all seem to be fine. One issue that tells me it is the SPU is when I turn the key, there is no load on the battery. I got a new battery today just to eliminate that possibility. Read a constant 12.8 to 13.9 volts w/ ignition on or off. No power is making it to the rest of the bike! I followed the main positive cable from battery as far as I could go without taking the tank off and there was continuity. (I got a new WPS lithium battery.)

Is there anyway to test the old SPU before relieving my wallet of $500+? I had a buddy who was able to fix the ECU on my BMW many years ago by just looking at the circuit board and finding a few loose solders! I'll see if the dealer has one on hand for troubleshooting next week. Thanks again for all the suggestions and keep them coming. I'm sad I didn't make it to the 5 year mark of trouble free motoring this year. I still love you Brutale no matter what!

2016 Range Rover SVR
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

[quote=MVAGOGO;1977474]Has the neutral switch managed to sit between on and off and is kidding the electrics in thinking the bikes in gear.[/quote

Thanks for the suggestion. As I stated, the neutral indicator is one of only 3 lights in the dash that work with ignition on. (Battery and Oil) Donzy is correct.

2016 Range Rover SVR
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 11:45 PM

New Site Garage
Okay, if there's nobody around to swap a SPU with it might be a bit tricky mate.
Id start by just going through the bike and checking for bad connections, start with the main circuits as there's only a few big cables involved.
Then the smaller connections, ECU plug, SPU plug and the Dash plug.
Check the (-) connections, their prone to corrosion and are often ignored when people do fault finding.
I hope you find something before you have to buy a new SPU mate.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode