Y10+ Brutale Valve Clearances - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Y10+ Brutale Valve Clearances

Well as you know I purchased a second hand 990R at 28,500kms. The history surrounding the 24k service was a bit dubious, and the fact the bike is at 30k i'm doing the full yada service including all the things that should have been done in the 24k.

So.. so prompted by this issue, i had to get the tank and airpbox off to check plugs and coils etc. What a perfect time to check valve clearances and timing chain.

What do ya know: Exhaust valves are all just out of spec. 0,20 ÷ 0,29 mm is the spec and mine are just under 20. But whats more of an issue is that the left exhaust valve of cylinder 2 is 0,12 ÷ 0,15 (inlet valves are fine BTW).

We did not take off the radiator to check these, and its somewhat hard to get the right angle for cylinder 2, so im going todo that this evening and re-check - But just goes to show that these need to be checked.

PS: I'll take some pics as when i rebuild and update this thread as there are a number little things that are different in the removal process than gen 1 bikes.

Question: Does anyone know of any issues with Y10+ in this regard? E.g. Valve stretch, worn valve seat, Camshaft wear, Broken valves etc?

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Right, so i need to shim all the exhaust valves. As above, we are between 0.18-0.20 on all but one which is 0.12-0.15.. I will need the following - is this correct? (measured clearance - desired clearance + existing shim size)

so can anyone help me with where to look to get these? (sorry have no idea where to start or what to get).

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/ are mentioned quite a few times on the forum?

Thanks!

Simon

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

Last edited by greminn; 06-02-2016 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Might pay to check out local places. Quite a few offer what you need, as opposed to buying a whole range in a pack and only needing a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Hey all - Im wondering if have i got my math and calculations correct here?

(measured clearance - desired clearance) + existing shim size = new shim size?

(0.18 - 0.25) + 1.6 = 1.53 (i need 7 of these)
(0.14 - 0.25) + 1.6 = 1.49 (i need 1 of these)

According to the parts manual the standard shim thickness is 1.6 i believe - am i reading the manual right?

EDIT: Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 PM

New Site Garage
Disclaimer - I am no expert at this. However, I did just adjust my valves (mostly the exhaust valves, also) and this is my understanding (I have Gen 1 910R).

There is no "standard" shim thickness, though I believe 1.6 is the required minimum on the MV (which is probably why that is the smallest they offer). When I did mine which had not been touched since the bike was new, the shims varied from 2.00 to 2.10. So which size shim you replace them with will depend on their initial size.

For example, mine were off about the same as yours, so when the installed shim was 2.00, I replaced it with a 1.95 to bring it within spec (.05 more clearance - say from initial measurement of 0.18 to 0.23 with the new .05 thinner shim). You could almost go with a 0.10 thinner shim and still be in spec (0.28), but I don't know enough about these things to know if that is the way to go.

I hope that helps.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R

Last edited by lc_brutale; 06-02-2016 at 10:44 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 PM

New Site Garage
Also, check and recheck your numbers. I kept trying to add when I should have subtracted or vice versa. The table provided in the first gen manual helped greatly to keep track of everything.

And another thing, the writing on the shims that came with the bike was almost impossible to read, so I had to rely on a caliper to measure them.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 PM

New Site Garage
Sorry, I keep thinking of other things. Shims come in 0.05 increments, so in your calculations, you show 0.07 to get to you're desired clearance, but your going to have to go with a 0.05 smaller shim or a 0.10 smaller shim as I said in my example above.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 AM

Hi greminn, nice part of the world you're in, I used to frequent there every summer when I basically temporarily move to Mahia for the 3 months uni holiday.

Now, I don't know how useful this is (and particularly for a high tech Italian engine), but back when....valve clearance used to go out enough that keeping a log was useful, I used to have a sheet recording values as measured, and values as adjusted and compare with each new valve check and adjustments. Yamahas used to get tighter, whilst Suzukis got looser.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greminn View Post
Right, so i need to shim all the exhaust valves. As above, we are between 0.18-0.20 on all but one which is 0.12-0.15.. I will need the following - is this correct? (measured clearance - desired clearance + existing shim size)

so can anyone help me with where to look to get these? (sorry have no idea where to start or what to get).

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/ are mentioned quite a few times on the forum?

Thanks!

Simon
I have a shim kit that I can drop around if you want.....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 AM

New Site Garage
You may be finished by now, but when I did mine, after calculating the required shim sizes I was able to shift around my existing shims to meet specs and only needed to buy 3-4 more. I ended up getting them from an old bike shop as the size of the shims is pretty common with other brands of bikes. Off the top of my head, I believe the '08 Yamaha R6 has the same size shims. Probably cheaper than going through MV or buying a complete kit of them.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode