Evidence of oil leak - cannot trace - help please - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Evidence of oil leak - cannot trace - help please

Hi again.

Finally got my bike on the road again after a few years sitting in the garage (the bike not me). She's a 2004 F4 750 which i've had since new with only 4500mi almost all trackday miles.

After yesterday's first shakedown ride (about 20miles) i parked her in the garage and came back this morning and took all fairings off to check fluids, connections, etc and found evidence of an oil leak - found small quantity of accumulated oil in the bottom fairing. Please see photos. The oil had accumulated at the front left of the fairing and there was only evidence of oil on the left hand side of the bottom fairing from about the half way point of the heat shield material).

The bottom left of the sump also has evidence of oil on it leading up the angled front left part of the sump to where the gasket is).

I cannot identify where the leak is coming. Parts higher up are all dry (at least those that i can access) and cannot find other tracks of oil.

The sump plug is clean and dry, the oil cooler is dry , as is the oil filter. My water pump that I recently took apart to fit the uprated impeller feels dry all around aswell ad the small weep hole which i recently learnt is there to stop water getting into the oil by letting the water come out giving us a heads up.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Takis
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
This is the second photo which accidentally wasn't uploaded.
Attached Images

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 AM

Could be the alternator O ring. That's what mine was.

Ex Silentium Adveho Nex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Hot oil is extremely thin and may not leave proof of a leaks origin. Air flow and edges such as gaskets can also move the leaked oil to places far from its origin.

The oil sump gasket is a know leak point as the side stand is bolted to the sump and places forces against it.
Check the tightness of the sump bolts and side stand mount bolts.

Buy a can of aerosol dry foot powder (unscented!). Clean the side of your engine thoroughly with brake clean, spray a film of the foot powder everywhere oil could come from on that side. Start the motor, warm it up and rev it to about 5k (raises pressure inside the cases) and watch.....the powder will quickly start turning dark at the source of the leak.

It could be the left front corner of the valve cover....another known source.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Have cleaned it all up and will go for another short ride.

Will check the alternator o ring when back. Thanks swissin.

Does anyone know of the sump gasket is prone to deteorating and weeping? Bear in mind bike is 12 years old. Thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Hot oil is extremely thin and may not leave proof of a leaks origin. Air flow and edges such as gaskets can also move the leaked oil to places far from its origin.

The oil sump gasket is a know leak point as the side stand is bolted to the sump and places forces against it.
Check the tightness of the sump bolts and side stand mount bolts.

Buy a can of aerosol dry foot powder (unscented!). Clean the side of your engine thoroughly with brake clean, spray a film of the foot powder everywhere oil could come from on that side. Start the motor, warm it up and rev it to about 5k (raises pressure inside the cases) and watch.....the powder will quickly start turning dark at the source of the leak.

It could be the left front corner of the valve cover....another known source.
Excellent. Thanks esq'z me. Will do that now instead of going for a ride.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Yep, all the sump bolts on left hand side needed about 1/8 of a turn (or thereabouts). Will get to the others later. Thank you.

Last edited by TakisM; 05-15-2016 at 10:53 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
To finalise this discussion and thank you all for helping, i checked the oil sump bolts and as esq'z me advised all the left hand bolts were a lot looser than the right hand bolts due to the side stand placing more stress on the left side. By tightening all the bolts it has thankfully stopped the oil leak.

Easy fix this time.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode