2006 Brutale 910S dumping coolant: Fix? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

2006 Brutale 910S dumping coolant: Fix?

I've spent a bit of time looking at old threads regarding this issue, please don't flame me for asking for a bit of help and confirmation of the problem.

My bike has developed a habit of 'peeing' a bit of coolant from the overflow line, although it's not overheating (210F is the highest temp I've seen in stop and go or idling at a red light.) Concerned that the coolant level might be getting low I added about a pint to the bone-dry overflow reservoir; That resulted in a bigger puddle under the bike!

All I'm gathering from old threads is that there may be air in the system (never drained before, bike has ~6K miles) and the remedy is to drain and refill (according to the protocol explained.) Another cause could be the overflow container cap, i have the original one and it may be malfunctioning; There may be a revised pressure cap available.

Perhaps there is something else I may be overlooking, I'm getting an occasional drip onto the hot headers (smell & vapor.) Any advice on how to proceed with a fix will be very much appreciated!

I'm almost 'there' with this bike, having fixed the few other known issues (SPU, rear hub, etc) and I'm really enjoying it at long last! A Muzzy (metal) cooling fan has resided on my parts bin for quite a while, that's an upcoming project. But I'm now ready to do some 3-day tours on this Brutie and I worry about coolant levels and getting stranded, that comes first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

1 you have a leak......you need to pressurize the system to find it.......

Easier said than done because of the screw on cap......every asshole engineer has to

design a new radiator cap .......the SnapOn catalog posts 56 adapters......

There used to be 2 cars and trucks

Check with a local radiator shop to see if they have one that splices into a hose

That will also test the cap at the same time have them test for combustion gases in

the coolant.......it's just a chemical they add to some of your coolant

Let us know the results

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:15 AM

My 750 used to barf a bit of coolant once hot, but it would stop after about 3 or 4 times once it had found the right level (I learnt never to top it up over the lower mark).
If yours is doing it again and again then my first guess is the filler cap assuming you don't have a leak somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:27 AM
cus

Both my Brutales run at the lower coolant level mark or will spit out from the overflow hose (common)but you shouldn`t be getting coolant on the headers unless overflow hose is split or as Noel said you have another leak somewhere
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks guys! I'll pressure check that cap & investigate the occasional drip. Sounds like the fluid-level marks on the overflow container are as useful as a posted speed limit on the Autobahn.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 AM

I have an 07 910s that did the same thing when I first picked it up. Once it got hot, it would dump coolant out of the overflow...not a huge amount but enough to get my spidey sense going! I also noticed it would make a kind of groaning noise while cooling down, like air bypassing a valve or something. I serviced it myself and noticed that the cap on the expansion tank was unbelievably tight - had to use vice grips and a rag to protect the plastic cap just to loosen the thing off...which of course required taking the fuel tank off too! I read a few threads which indicated that the coolant level should be kept at the lower level. Ran the bike with the cap off until hot and then just hand-tightened the cap and have had no problems since.

Gavin78

2007 Brutale 910S
MV Corse cat delete and cans

2012/14 MV F4
QD exhaust & classy red rim tape!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin78 For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode