Water pump impeller upgrade - strange hole - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Water pump impeller upgrade - strange hole

I upgraded the water pump impeller and after completing and runng the bike stationary for a bit to make sure she was tight I came back to her a few days later to find some water droplets on the garage floor just under the water pump. I took it apart again and re-checked everything and made sure that all the surfaces were clean and smooth (which they were from my upgrade job) and put it back together again. Made sure all the surfaces and connections were completely dry and left her again for a few more days. Came back and this time only found two or three drops and when i turned her on there was no evidence of any leaks. However the casing of the water pump nearest the engine had some signs of dampness on my fingers when i probed back there.
I took it apart again and noticed this hole (which i think is in the oil lubricated part of the assembly (that goes into the engine casing) but nevertheless i can't shake the feeling that something needs to be put in there.

The hole is almost exactly at 6 o clock on the tube in the engine casing into which the water pumpmassembly pushes into.

Can someone please help by telling me if there should be something in there which has dropped out over time? It's doing my head in

I renewed the three gaskets and made sure all interacting surfaces were clean and smooth.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by TakisM; 05-07-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Exclamation ?

That's the weep hole.... sounds like the water pump seal is going bad

the hole is there to let you know the seal is leaking and so water won't get into the

motor

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I checked other threads on here (BG Well's and foguete's and couldn't see the same hole in their photos - especially foguete's who had a good photo looking straight in) besides that I replaced all three o rings. Will look at it again closely tomorrow in case it got accidentally knicked on way in.
Thanks Noel.
BRgds.,
Takis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:43 PM

New Site Garage
Look at the pictures in my photo albums, it's there. The pictures from BGWells is a different waterpump to yours.
The seals Noel is referring to is inside the pump shaft housing, nothing to do with the three O-rings.
http://gallery.mvagusta.net/donsy/cooling/

Make sure you order the right seals for your pump model.

I personally think the MV pump impeller upgrade is a waste of time, on the 1000cc bikes, maybe it's more affective on the 750's.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 05-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up ?

Like Donsy said there are 2 different Factory water pumps......as to seal arrangement

I believe the pictures Brian posted were of the Design Corse pump when they forgot

the weep hole...... that has been corrected

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 PM

Thumbs down ?

all that said, I have a brand new water pump with a pin hole casting flaw in the O-ring

groove, ~ 0.5mm but it goes ~4mm deep......epoxy time

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Donsy - on my 750 it does seem to make an improvment. Takes a lot longer for the bike to heat up. Thanks for the photos. Mine's a 2004 F4 750 evo3. I'll order the seals. It'll hold for now until I get them. Just very happy I've learnt why it's been weeping down there.

Noel - i was thinking the same thing that there might have been a casting flaw and that the bike had been doing this for ages. Thankfully not and now just a matter of ordering and waiting for the seals to arrive.

Thank you both for your help. Much appreciated.

Last edited by TakisM; 05-08-2016 at 02:31 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Look at the pictures in my photo albums, it's there. The pictures from BGWells is a different waterpump to yours.
The seals Noel is referring to is inside the pump shaft housing, nothing to do with the three O-rings.
http://gallery.mvagusta.net/donsy/cooling/

Make sure you order the right seals for your pump model.

I personally think the MV pump impeller upgrade is a waste of time, on the 1000cc bikes, maybe it's more affective on the 750's.
what impeller do you recomend for a 2009 1078rr... or should i just get the moto corsa pump upgrade?
thanks, chris
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Get the Moto Corse pump upgrade.
Even though the impeller on my 750 has made a good positive change (bear in mind here in UK temps do not typically rise very high) I also had to change some of the seals and other components inside the water pump because of the age of my bike. Considering what I spent at the end of it I should have just gone for the upgraded complete pump.
Knowing what I know now back then I would have coughed up the extra £'s and gone for the new upgraded pump without an second thought.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 PM

New Site Garage
Show me this Moto Corsa or Corse upgrade TakisM, or are you referring to the Design Corse pump?
On the 1078 you already have the latest MV waterpump Chris, welcome to the Forum.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode