B4 910S 2008: hiccups in idle/low revs (<6000 rpm) + engine stalling when stopped - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

B4 910S 2008: hiccups in idle/low revs (<6000 rpm) + engine stalling when stopped

Hello guys,

About 1 year ago I purchased a 2008 Brutale 910S with 8k km on the odometer and at that particular day I was the happiest man in the whole world.

It is fitted with a full titanium exaust system, iridium sparkling plugs and an BMC sports filter.

After driving my bike a few times, I started noticing hiccups while driving on low revs (100kph on 6th gear) and even in idle. There are times when the engine is running as smooth as butter, but sometimes it starts hiccuping a lot, making the ride not so easy, specially in curvy roads. This issues comes and goes randomly. The bike has 13k km at the moment.

I have had this problem for 1 year now and still no solution. The 1st mechanic I took the bike to replaced the TPS and the sparkling plugs (put new iridium ones), reset the bike parameters according to factory specs and during the first ride it was all smooth again, but after that the hiccups came back (again, sporadically). After 4 times in this mechanic, I took it to a 2nd mechanic, who promised to solve my problems by installing a Rapid Bike EVO in it and remapping the fuel injection. Again, smooth after taking it out of the shop, but hiccupping again after a few days. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or hot, you can already notice the problem just by starting the bike.

Here in Brazil, our benzin is low quality because it is mixed with ethanol (resulting in 89 octanes), but even with premium benzin 95 the hiccups look worse. It should be the opposite imho.

Also, now the bike is stalling while I am standstill in the traffic stop lights. This is very embarassing for such a premium bike.

My current guess is that something could be wrong with the sparkling plug cables or with the fuel pump, but I would like to know from you guys what you think.

MVs are not common in Brazil, so buying new parts is really damn expensive (I have to import everything and pay high taxes), so I would appreciatte if you could give me any tips of what to try without needing to buy any new stuff... I have already spent quite a lot of money on the parts that were changed (including the rear hub which broke with 12k km, meaning a good 700 euro cost for me).

I hope you guys can help me figuring out what the problem is. I love the bike, but this hiccupping makes me really frustrated...

Thanks in advance!

PS: the bike in my avatar is my bike =D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM

New Site Garage
Can you shorten all of that, my attention span is not so great at the moment.
Just kidding mate, that's a great history of your problem, and welcome to the forum.
Sounds to me like you might have an air leak somewhere.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi Donsy, thanks for such a fast reply and warm welcome ahahahah =D

Have you heard of such an air leak problem in the B4 before? Any suggestions on where I should start looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM

New Site Garage
Your bike is not new buddy, so throttle body rubbers and the balancing tubes are very common.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Will start from there, thanks a lot!

Anybody else got tips? =)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM

New Site Garage
Have you downloaded the manuals, and did a bit of a read though this section on stalling bikes mate, it's well recommended.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Hi and welcome VipeR,

The 910S has Champion coils fitted and these can go bad, particularly when the bike is warm. Try getting a set of balance gauges hooked up to your bike and warm it up until the hicups can be replicated. The balance gauge will show which cylinder is spluttering. If it is one cylinder then swap the coil to another cylinder and see if it transfers.

If it does then you need to replace that coil. The champion coils are no longer made so you would need one of the later Beru ones.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Donsy, I've read a few topics about stalling bikes, but honestly I think this is the smallest of the problems at the moment... I still that the hope that it will be solved when I solve the hiccup issue.

Hi jimboF4! I will try that too!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:38 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
Hi and welcome VipeR,

The 910S has Champion coils fitted and these can go bad, particularly when the bike is warm. Try getting a set of balance gauges hooked up to your bike and warm it up until the hicups can be replicated. The balance gauge will show which cylinder is spluttering. If it is one cylinder then swap the coil to another cylinder and see if it transfers.

If it does then you need to replace that coil. The champion coils are no longer made so you would need one of the later Beru ones.
jimbof4 is right check coil sticks i had same prob on 910 R down to to coil sticks .
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Was your 910R also with this symptoms, mv raptor? Sporadic hiccups and engine stalling in standstill?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode