Replacing CPU to lower power to 100BHP - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Replacing CPU to lower power to 100BHP

Hi guys,

I have unfortunately had to move to France, only country restricting the power of motorbikes, and therefore cannot register my 2010 F4 1000 R unless I restrict its power to 100 BHP (change ECU and also buy a EUR40 piece to restrict the throttle movement apparently).

According to MV references I should need to buy ECU 8A00B5484 which is the French (i.e. restricted) ECU for my F4 1000 R.

Frecce Tricolori ECU instead
I however found a brand new ECU (with French restriction) much cheaper that is the reference for the 2010 F4 1000 R Frecce Tricolori (ECU reference 8G00B3695).

To my understanding, the Frecce Tricolori is simply a regular 2010 F4 1000 R with simply a LOT of expensive carbon fiber panels everywhere and specific colour. Am I right in assuming that the engines of the two bikes are identical?

I was therefore wondering whether buying this 8G00B3695 ECU would work on my normal 2010 F4 1000 R?

Resetting the ECU?
Also, I was wondering whether fitting a new ECU is just a matter of plugging it and letting it adjust to the bike when we start the engine or do we need some complex equipment to reset it? I heard that it may need a full reset but that is surprising to me since I regularly remove my battery from my F4 and do not need to reset the ECU when I put the battery back on after a few months.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guillaume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 02:12 AM

New Site Garage
Hi mate.
Firstly, in 2010 you only got the F4 1000. The F4 1000R came out the year after 2011/12. The FT is also a 2011 F4 with the same 76x55 motor which was later replaced with the Corsa Corte short stroke motor.

So be carefull when you buy that you get the models correct.http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/mv%20agusta.htm

The ECU that you suggest will work in your bike, at the worst it will rum terrible or struggle to idle because you have not reset the TPS.

Removing the battery is not the same as replacing the ECU, the ECU looks at the position of your throttle using the TPS (throttle position sensor) and this is set by a dealer (calibrated). The new ECU has to be shown in what position your throttle is operating or it will just assume it is still on the previous bike.
You might be lucky, you might not be, it's very easy and quick for a dealer to reset the TPS.

Good luck.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Donsy. Looking at that document (http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/man...s-list-ed1.pdf) and making sure my Fram number matches, I found out that my restricted ECU should be the 8A00B3695.

I then realized (reading that document (https://www.yumpu.com/it/document/vi...evlimiterit/51) that 8A00B3695 had been replaced by 8G00B3695.

So sounds like buying a used 8G00B3695 should work even if it is written "F4 1000 R FRA" on it.

I apparently also need to change the throttle body (weird...) but it is a minor cost.

Thanks for flagging the risk of not working properly, definitely worth having a MV guy synchronise all that stuff, especially that the power restriction is known for being very bad.

Also, amazingly, MV Agusta replied to me very fast and it seems they need to send me specific stickers to confirm that the bike has been restricted... what a pain in the bum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Guillaume;

You should (fortunately) only need the stickies from MV and the throttle stop

See if MV will send you the sticker for the ECU too to avoid having to buy an ECU....

on the 5 SM kit ECUs it's just a sticker.......they are physically the same

No harm in trying

Good luck.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi theknurl,

Do you mean to try to get the stickers and stick them on my current ECU (i.e. Full Power)? That would be "naughty" but I love the idea. I bought a second hand restricted ECU so even if I have to change the ECU the cost won't be EUR1,300 as what the brand new ECU cost but only EUR300 which reduces the pain.

MV Italy already came abck to me (I was amazed to receive an email from them on a Saturday to be honest) and sounds like I need stickers and also some documents that need to be signed but an official reseller to prove that the bike was indeed restricted. I would be seriously upset if they were to tell me that the only way to get all that signed is to buy a brand new ECU.

Anyways, fingers crossed and I hope the restriction of this updated ECU is better than the previous one (which I understand had been done by a 5 year old boy who had no idea what power delivery means)...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode