'11 Brutale Valve Cover Removal - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

'11 Brutale Valve Cover Removal

I am reaching out for some advice. I am about at my wits end trying to get the valve cover off. The issue I am having is with the radiator expansion tank hose preventing me from sliding the cover off/out. The shop manual says:

"...it is advisable to remove the rubber engine coolant filling tube situated on the left side of the motorcycle."

My question is, has anyone been able to remove their valve cover without doing this? As you can see in the pictures the back LH side of the cover is interfering with this hose. I would prefer not to remove the clamps on the hose since I will in turn need to drain my coolant.

If I do go the route of removing the coolant hose, are the clamps and the tool to clamp them readily available at any hardware store?

I am contemplating taking it to the dealer at this point to finish the job. I figure since I have it 85% of the way there the total cost of labor should be reduced from your typical $600-$1000 valve job.

2011 Brutale 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 02:38 PM

I took off the ignition barrel and undid the expansion tank, leaving the hoses on. The 2 long barrel bolts are really tight and have loctite on them. This gave me enough movement to get the rocker cover out. I actually had the most trouble with the wiring loom on the right hand side.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

I actually did all of that as well. However, it doesn't look like I can get the cover to slide out without pulling the expansion tank and the bottom hose connected to it all the way out.

I had the cover cleared by the wire loom, just couldn't get it out with the coolant hose on the left side.

2011 Brutale 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 PM

slide it towards the throttle bodies,take off the rubbers.lift the front edge slightly
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

I'm with Eddy out the back......on 1st gen you remove the TBs and there is enough

room, from your pictures looks like the intake hoses might need to be removed

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I finally had success and got the cover off. I had to find the g-spot... err I mean just the right spot for the radiator hose. I had to push it to the far LH side in order to get the clearance I needed.

Ed I was only able to pull the LH rubbers off. The right hand one has one bolt that is covered by the wire harness

2011 Brutale 1090RR
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Good news: I removed the cover and checked my clearance.
Bad news: The clearances are all over the place and a few exhaust valves are about .1mm on the tight side.

Now I need to figure out whether I want to adjust them myself or take it to a dealer.

2011 Brutale 1090RR
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 PM

Now the fun begins.LOL
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 02:57 AM

You have got this far, the hardest part is the very tight and hard to access bolts that are on the camshaft saddles.
You must use good tools and have a good purchase on the Allen heads to successfully undo them.

Once this is done, the rest is a picnic in the park if you follow the procedure in the manual.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I decided I'm going to do the valve adjustment myself. I plan on pulling the radiator off and pivoting the frame up out of the way. I've read too many stories about people struggling to remove the cam carrier bolts by not giving themselves the extra room.

I need to pull the forks off for seal replacements anyway. I might as well remove those while I have the bike propped up for this! I need to teach my wife how do to all of this so she can knock it out while i'm at work.

2011 Brutale 1090RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode