Rode the bike with not enough oil... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Rode the bike with not enough oil...

I had an accident on the track and must admit my insane stupidity..

the accident broke the left engine cover and the bike lost oil. i had it fixed with the mechanic at the track. well, i thought that he also refueled the oil but he did not. (it was in italy so it was difficult to communicate) unfortunately i had 2 slow stints before it came to my mind to check oil level. max 30-40 kilometers. i am not exactly sure on how much i needed to refill but it was about 1-1,5 liters. afaik the F41000r has 3,5 litres in total so that means my bike ran on 2 litres for 30-50 kilometere track very moderate still i travelled to another track after the accident, which was new to me and i had to learn to now it etc. , but still track use.

at no point the oil pressure lamp went on. there were no strange noises and therer are none now. the coolant temperature was as before. the engine runs as before..for the moment at least

after that i did one more day of real track riding with no problems.

apart from my brutal stupidity, do you think my engine might have long term damage or anything. my gues is if oil pressure is still ok, it should be fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:31 AM

Should be ok . You had oil in there.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:36 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

No it should be fine dumb arse I'm making a joke for those non humorous members.
If oil light did not come on and bikes still running okay then you will be fine.
Change oil now and ride smart.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

I am a dumb and lazy ass, no doubt about that.

its just, you know, obviously i am worried, since the bike ran on 2 liters or a bit less maybe. maybe only 1,5 litres, i do not now exactly how much i had to refill... lets take 1,5 litres inside the engine as worst case.

i guess on a standard car engine this is no problem but on a high performance engine like the F4 i am worried if i have to expect damage of any kind after further 1000-5000km due to that.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchu2x View Post
I am a dumb and lazy ass, no doubt about that.

its just, you know, obviously i am worried, since the bike ran on 2 liters or a bit less maybe. maybe only 1,5 litres, i do not now exactly how much i had to refill... lets take 1,5 litres inside the engine as worst case.

i guess on a standard car engine this is no problem but on a high performance engine like the F4 i am worried if i have to expect damage of any kind after further 1000-5000km due to that.
Did you do any wheelies?

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
It is a pressure fed system. As long as there was oil high enough in the sump for the pump to pick it up then you are fine. no oil light means you never lost pressure.

For sure, the reduced oil got hot and well used, but thats OK. Serious racers used to run oil levels as low as possible to reduce windage and pumping losses in the engine. That was a while back when engines were not so advanced as today.

You're fine. Sleep easy.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Arthur View Post
Did you do any wheelies?
no, i never do.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
It is a pressure fed system. As long as there was oil high enough in the sump for the pump to pick it up then you are fine. no oil light means you never lost pressure.

For sure, the reduced oil got hot and well used, but thats OK. Serious racers used to run oil levels as low as possible to reduce windage and pumping losses in the engine. That was a while back when engines were not so advanced as today.

You're fine. Sleep easy.
obviously i cannot 100% say that the lamp did not go on while riding for a few moments , since i cannot always look dont there in the middle of the action. but i would the lamp to stay on or is this a on/off thing?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
It's an on/off thing based on a grounding signal from the pressure sensor......but seriously, if you damaged the engine it would be letting you know by now, you've ridden it a fair amount after just a few short runs before refilling and then changing the oil.

I certainly wouldn't start tearing the engine apart just to look.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

lets hope the best!

i tend to think that usually i would have noticed a red light in the cockpit.

the engine does sound normal...one lap after "the incident":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJYnPHa_FQ

Last edited by tenchu2x; 03-22-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode