New custom server will be live within a day or two - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
New custom server will be live within a day or two

Hello,

I have gone ahead with building a new, custom server for this website. This means you will see increased loading speeds, stability, security, and room to grow for the upcoming future of this website. As you can see, we already have a lot of media hosted on this website, from almost 4000 images, to many gigabytes of videos. Of course, this would not be possible through a few generous contributions that greatly reduced the cost out of my pocket.

I will be working to make a smoothe transition towards the new server. Depending on how the transition goes, you as a user, may see some odd temporary transition pages to ensure that you are on the correct site. For those unfamiliar with DNS, it typically takes about 24-48 hours to update DNS records throughout the world (the IP that now hosts mvagusta.net). This means that many of you that visit mvagusta.net often may still be attempting to visit the older site after a day or two. I will setup auto-forwarding so you should not have any problems finding the new site.

This also means that when the transition is taking place, all gallery images will be "frozen". You are recommended not to upload photos into the gallery till the transition has taken place. The transition involves backing up and making a "snapshot" of mvagusta.net and transferring it over to the new server. This will take some time since this website is fairly large in data.

I will try to make sure we do not have two forums going at once. I hope to ensure that all new posts are directed to the new forum so none are lost.

If you see a few glitches, bare with me. Moving such a large site is quite time consuming and hopefully goes without a hitch.

This move will/should take place sometime tomorrow.

Thanks,
Alvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Alvin,

My addiction will suffer as will my friends here, but well get by. May have to go out and ride, and play some scrabble with Jill.

Thomas and I are heading to a track day, and some uninterrupted riding in W. Va. He and I will video the trip and take some photos, and he'll post them up when we get back.

THANK-You again for making this a GREAT site. You are !

Signing off awhile, Peter
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Although it sucks for us, I think you should completely shut-down and transfer everything over....should only take a couple hours to a complete night. I think we can manage, if it means making things going smoother for you....

From my understanding it moves a bit quicker, and there is less chance of any data loss and or crashing. as not everybody will read this little post saying "don't upload or download".

I could be wrong though, as I've only dabbed into IC networking, but it seems logical

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Oh, this isn't a request not to post. It is a notice to let everyone know if they can't post or if something is disabled, then this is why.

I am going to do it during off hours. Many people will not notice! Just a heads up! This website will be backed up and once that begins, it will be locked. It should not take very long to transfer the website over and restore it, so long that there are no glitches! Once the new site is up and running, this site will be forwarding to the new temporary address while the DNS changes are made.

I am very glad that many people love my passion for developing this website!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Of course, this would not be possible through a few generous contributions that greatly reduced the cost out of my pocket.
This is a great forum, if we can all chip in to help Alvin a little it would be great.

For contribution:

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1479

thanks Alvin!

O D O N A T A

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Way to go Alvin, hope it all goes smoothly.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Server is up and running. The backup & transfer is going to begin shortly. All registry submissions and edits have been disabled, along with changing gallery albums.

Posting in the forum is OKAY. I will close the forum shortly when the database is to be transferred (very large one at that).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Will the gallery and registry photo submissions closed for a couple of days?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Just for the rest of today. You can e-mail me photos if you would like at [email protected]agusta.net
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

The switch has been made. It will still take a day for everyone to begin loading from the new server. The older server is now reading from the database of the new server, so that there will not be any clashes between forum content.

The new server loads about 4 times faster so you will notice significant increase in speed! I'm really liking it, and glad I invested the money & time to make the move.

Here is how you will know you were on the new server:
1] In the MV CP, the new server will allow you to create albums and edit your registry submission, whereas the older server has the links removed.
2] The submit your MV to the registry page will function on the new server, but will be a blank page on the older server.

Let me know (when you jump on the new server) how you like it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode