MV Agusta Forum banner

2010 990R won't start ...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Donsy 
#1 · (Edited)
*** SOLVED *** Culprit was a melted solenoid relay Connector ...

My 2010 990R wont start. When turning on the ignition the lights & dash come on, the pump primes and it wont start on the button. The battery is fully charged ..

I can hear a noise from the area of the box on the left (ECU?) - this video records the noise.

https://youtu.be/qTOxirhvjyI

Where do I go with this one guys ?

Also of note and possibly related is that there was a problem a while back where all electrics failed totally for a bit, as in when riding the bike one day it cut out totally, rolled on for a while with momentum but I managed to start it again with some frantic lever/button/key turning action. That might be related but it did start after that incident for a few weeks and its not been used since for about 3 months.

#4 ·
Download the manuals, have a read through them and familiarise yourself with your bike buddy. On a bike, as in cars etc, there is only one left side and this is determined when you sit on the bike.

Have a look under your seat if you don't have the melted starter solenoid connections which is a fairly common later model Brutale issue ( You will see more examples here in the Maintenance section and the Tech Tips section).

I'd replace the battery after checking all connections, that sound is much like a really not latching because of low Voltage.

#5 ·
OK - the solenoid connector is busted ... do I just pull the wires and fit into a new connector? Could water under the seat have caused this ?

In the meantime I'll check for any obvious cause. I already had issues with the clutch switch and the starter button .. bloody electrics!

Attachments

#6 ·
This is a common occurrence on that particular connector. It is a high current draw and it tends to corrode over time. That connector, and your battery connections, should be periodically cleaned and treated with a grease specific to electrical connectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.