MV Agusta Forum banner

Might buy a TV

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  EvilSteve 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a new cycle to add to my stable. I currently own a '07 Bonnie/Thruxton, a '71 Triumph T100R Daytona and a '74 Kawasaki G3ss. I have been looking for a true SPORT-touring bike for a while. Originally, I was looking at the BMW F800GS, Triumph Tiger XRx, and the Yamaha FJ09, then I saw a the TV.

My big concerns center around reliability. I currently average 6-8K miles of commuting and aggressive back road riding per year. With the new bike I'm hoping add an additional 3-4K of long distance touring per year.

Additionally, I am trying to decide if the Lusso is a worthwhile upgrade. I like the idea of EAS but being 230lbs I have never had a bike that didn't require some suspension tweaks. Will I need it on this bike. I know the FJ09 needs work. Are the bags nice or am I better off going aftermarket.

While I haven't ridden the TV, I do have a test ride scheduled in the near future (as soon as the roads clear up). I have ridden the others and they are nice.

Thanks Jon

#2 ·
I have a TV on order, have been riding an XRx for a year, and was on an R1200GS for 7 years before that (and various Ducs, Aprilia, etc prior). I can't speak to the reliability on the TV but hopefully their 18K service interval isn't just wishful thinking.

As for the bikes you mention, the XRx is a fantastic bike, and the engine is wonderful. It is more towards the SUV on the handling side - longer wheelbase than the TV and suspension is good, not sublime. That isn't necessarily bad - I ride it almost exclusively 2-up, have a top box for overnight tours, and it is an easy bike to ride and have fun with.

The F800GS - I really don't like the BMW twin. I don't find it entertaining or comfortable. The FJ I haven't ridden but most people complain about the suspension, so I'd figure you'd have to spend another chunk of money to upgrade and I don't really like doing that.

For me the TV is the sports bike I want that I can actually ride (my knees/back can't tolerate a typical sports bike position). I'm keeping the Tiger for longer trips and until the TV gets a top box solution that limits how happy my wife will be on the back. I have a good shop in reasonable distance which hopefully won't be needed often.

#3 ·
Are the bags nice or am I better off going aftermarket.
The bags are great, for me they were a major attraction of this bike, plus the overall emphasis is definitely on the sport side. UK mags are describing the TV as an upright sports bike, which I think is apt. Not aware of any aftermarket options for luggage yet.

#7 ·
I went with the base model plus heated grips. While I'm actually someone that could use active suspension (since I split time between solo and 2-up), I like having simplicity where I can get it. The only thing I really need to be able to mess with is preload - the rest of the suspension settings I want to set it and forget it. In test rides both solo and 2-up on the same bike, I didn't feel like I had to tweak anything. I didn't have active suspension on my GS and never really found myself wishing I had it. If you ride solo and don't switch between bags and empty, not sure it is worth it.

Call me old fashioned, but I kinda want to know what the bike is going to do in any given situation. When I used to club race (cars), I always preferred my old, stock 911 that didn't have ABS, traction control, or any electronics. And when I took my GTI on track for grins, I always turned off the traction control as sometimes I wanted the rear end to come around. No doubt that the electronics lead to faster laps, but I'm not trying to win races, I just want to enjoy the experience.

Also, not that I don't trust Italian electronics :D

#8 ·
I used the active suspension on the 2015 Multistrada I had before my TVL *all* the time because each mode was configurable. The TVL's modes aren't configurable except the "Custom" mode. My problem with that is that I'm a pretty light guy (155lbs) so, the sport mode is too harsh and the throttle response too abrupt which I can't change. The other modes have similar issues but they aren't adjustable either so, I don't really use them.

The mitigating factor is that the "Custom" mode is configured via a phone application that allows almost infinite configuration combinations that you can save and use whenever you want (as long as the bike's in neutral) it's pretty amazing. I'm hoping they open up the stock configurations in an update that they have on the way but it's wait and see for now.

The luggage attachment is awesome and the luggage itself is really, really nice although, I find the internal shape a little odd.

I can say for sure that this bike is my favorite bike for the last 5 or so: 2015 MTS S, 2012 MTS S, M1100 EVO, Daytona 675, Sprint ST. It's a bloody great bike.

#10 ·
So I got a chance to take a very cold test ride. The bike is pretty amazing. Here are a couple of my initial observations. The windscreen creates a lot of noise around my helmet, not buffeting but noise. Secondly, cruising along at 60mph in 6th gear there was a little more drive line feedback than I was expecting not bad just present.

Now I just need to decide if I want the Lusso which includes the bags center stand and heated grips or just buy the standard.

#11 ·
fwiw I find the TV a lot better for wind than my Tiger or my old GS, but that depends on your height/position on the bike. I'm getting a smooth stream that isn't too loud.

Not sure what you mean by driveline feedback. I do find that this bike is more abrupt off the throttle - but that makes it more interesting on the throttle, and also for ending braking into corners. By contrast the Tiger is more forgiving in that regard in both directions - I think it is a combination of crank design and flywheel weight.

I bought the standard and heated grips. Debating on bags - keep hoping a top case comes out. Will get a paddock stand instead of the center stand. I never use the center stand on my Tiger except to do chain maintenance, but ymmv.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.