MV Agusta Forum banner

Stalling at red lights

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Deano 
#1 · (Edited)
2009 Brutale 1078 RR . The bike gets warmed up and is at operating temp and it seems to stall when i try and idle at red lights. Any tips on what to do first? Also any tips on finding a decent mechanic for my bike? The only MV dealer close to me is in Milwaukee which is 4-5 hours away from west Michigan.

#2 · (Edited)
Your idle speed is too low. If you lived near me we would fix it.

Unfortunately, there is no idle speed screw. Adjustment is done with the air bleed screws using a manometer to keep the manifold pressures equal (throttle body synch).

You may also need the TPS set....which requires the VDST software and communication cable.

How many miles on your "new to you" Brutale??

#3 ·
it seems to stall when i try and idle at red lights. Any tips on what to do first?
Keep away from red lights would be my first call. Sorry not very helpful.
As Esq'z me said, you need to ensure all the settings are in tolerance starting with the 'balance' of the 4 inlets.
When was it last set up and has this only just occurred or slowly getting worse over time?

#4 ·
Seems to me since the bike is new to you that a visit to your state dealer would be a smart move. Giving the bike a once over would be your best tip! Besides, you'll learn a hell of a lot in 4-5 hours of riding. Call the MV dealer and explain how far you are away and your idle problem. I'm sure they can adjust their schedule to get you in and out quickly with just an overnight stay. See if they have a dyno onsite and a loaner bike while there.

#5 ·
The bike has 7700 miles on it. My brother was meticulous on maintenance and we spoke often of his adventures he had on the bike but we very rarely spoke of what maintenance involved. I found a couple manuals online. Pretty good but im sure i can get to the root of the issue more quickly with someone with experience. My brother passed in 2017 and i kept the bike in climate controlled storage for 2 years because it was and still is not something I like to dwell on. But time heals and I just came to the realization that he would've probably wanted the bike ridden. I've only put 100 miles on it. I changed the oil and coolant and cleaned and lubed the chain. Beyond that , nothing. Also thank you for the tip , I try and avoid red lights at all cost. ?

#6 ·
#8 ·
Like Mitchy said change your plugs. I've never bothered with iridium (yet) but a new set of plugs is a must. Dropped a few over the years on mine. Also while it's a big job (a couple of hours) if you have a go yourself you'll learn a lot about the bike. A dealer charge for this will be expensive.

Plus as Ed said, a throttle body balance is a good thing. A manometer can be had online for not too much. Trouble is it's probably a one use thing unless you have a lot of riding mates but still cheaper than a mechanic would charge. Plenty of info on here to help you.

Cheers

Deano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.