Stalling at red lights - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mitchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Stalling at red lights

2009 Brutale 1078 RR . The bike gets warmed up and is at operating temp and it seems to stall when i try and idle at red lights. Any tips on what to do first? Also any tips on finding a decent mechanic for my bike? The only MV dealer close to me is in Milwaukee which is 4-5 hours away from west Michigan.

Last edited by BigWes84; 09-16-2019 at 03:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Your idle speed is too low. If you lived near me we would fix it.

Unfortunately, there is no idle speed screw. Adjustment is done with the air bleed screws using a manometer to keep the manifold pressures equal (throttle body synch).

You may also need the TPS set....which requires the VDST software and communication cable.

How many miles on your "new to you" Brutale??

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 09-16-2019 at 06:22 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes84 View Post
it seems to stall when i try and idle at red lights. Any tips on what to do first?
Keep away from red lights would be my first call. Sorry not very helpful.
As Esq'z me said, you need to ensure all the settings are in tolerance starting with the 'balance' of the 4 inlets.
When was it last set up and has this only just occurred or slowly getting worse over time?

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Seems to me since the bike is new to you that a visit to your state dealer would be a smart move. Giving the bike a once over would be your best tip! Besides, you'll learn a hell of a lot in 4-5 hours of riding. Call the MV dealer and explain how far you are away and your idle problem. I'm sure they can adjust their schedule to get you in and out quickly with just an overnight stay. See if they have a dyno onsite and a loaner bike while there.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

The bike has 7700 miles on it. My brother was meticulous on maintenance and we spoke often of his adventures he had on the bike but we very rarely spoke of what maintenance involved. I found a couple manuals online. Pretty good but im sure i can get to the root of the issue more quickly with someone with experience. My brother passed in 2017 and i kept the bike in climate controlled storage for 2 years because it was and still is not something I like to dwell on. But time heals and I just came to the realization that he would've probably wanted the bike ridden. I've only put 100 miles on it. I changed the oil and coolant and cleaned and lubed the chain. Beyond that , nothing. Also thank you for the tip , I try and avoid red lights at all cost. 😆

2009 Brutale 1078 RR
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I changed the oil and coolant and cleaned and lubed the chain.
Best to change your brake fluid before going back out. Check your tires to see if the rubber is hard from sitting.
Simple info on the date location: https://www.chapmoto.com/blog/2013/0...re-date-codes/

I suspect you'll be having a total blast on your bike soon enough. Its great you choose to ride it and join the MV fam. Seriously.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
2009 Brutale 1078 RR . The bike gets warmed up and is at operating temp and it seems to stall when i try and idle at red lights. Any tips on what to do first? Also any tips on finding a decent mechanic for my bike? The only MV dealer close to me is in Milwaukee which is 4-5 hours away from west Michigan.
My F4 1078 was doing the same thing as your bike and Iridium spark plugs fixed the stalling issue straight away.
esq'z me likes this.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchy For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:17 AM

New Site Garage
Like Mitchy said change your plugs. I've never bothered with iridium (yet) but a new set of plugs is a must. Dropped a few over the years on mine. Also while it's a big job (a couple of hours) if you have a go yourself you'll learn a lot about the bike. A dealer charge for this will be expensive.

Plus as Ed said, a throttle body balance is a good thing. A manometer can be had online for not too much. Trouble is it's probably a one use thing unless you have a lot of riding mates but still cheaper than a mechanic would charge. Plenty of info on here to help you.

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale
The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:

Tags
mechanic, new mechanic, shutting off, stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode