New Member from Tampa - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

New Member from Tampa

Hi,

I've had this account for over a year and could never post - I finally figured out there are rules that I need to post three times in this section first.

I went into the local Ducati store last June to pick up a 2018 Monster 821, and left with my brand new 2017 Brutale 800 instead. It seemed like a no brainer for an extra thousand bucks. I love the bike, but I've never had this many problems with any vehicle I've ever owned - new or used. So needless to say, I've spent countless hours reading but unable to post in the forums here.

Big shout out to all those posting useful stuff in here - and there are many.

If anyone in the Tampa area ever wants to ride and/or wrench, let me know!

Cheers,
Greg
gotfolk, nigelrb and falcn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 AM

New Site Garage
Hello and welcome,

Post some pictures of the bike. We'd love to see it.
Just drag the photo from the folder its in to underneath the quick reply box.

What issues are you having? Maybe some of us have an answer for you.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family...a bit belatedly !!

Hope you got your issues all resolved.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi!

Well, I think the problem is this is my 11th-ish bike, and I'm just used to working with vanilla brands where there are hundreds of thousands of people with the same bike and countless sources of information. With this guy, I'm always trying to piece together information from different manuals and websites and even from different MV models that likely share components. For instance, trying to find out the oil capacity for my bike was crazy. Nobody with a 2017 Brutale 800 has posted that online, it isn't in the owner's manual, and I couldn't find a shop manual for it. I saw some people online saying 3.2L for changing the filter and draining the oil cooler on an F3 on this forum, but that puts me WAY overfilled. I also saw something else in the shop manual for a Brutale 675 to go for 2.5L - which I guess is closer in relation to mine despite the displacement? So now I'm just draining a little after every ride and not revving it too hard until that drops into the safe zone.

The bike leaks fuel like crazy through the overflow line, and my wife wants me to get rid of it because of the smell. There's just a puddle of fuel after I park it every time. I took the evap can off last weekend, but it didn't fix the leak issue. Now I'm suspecting that the tank internal lines are blown which I'll test later today. It just seems like a crazy issue to have for something so new.

The bike looks incredible, the sound it makes at wide-open-throttle is absolutely sublime, and the quick-shifter if immensely satisfying - but I can't fully enjoy it because I'm just worrying about all the things that could fail next if I'm having this much trouble already.

The owner's manual nor any of the PDF's on the included thumb drive lists basic stuff like how to adjust the chain with a single sided swing arm, oil capacity - forget about procedures and torque specs, or any genuinely useful maintenance info. It all just says, "go visit your local MV Dealer". Super frustrating. Anyway - now that I can actually post on the forums instead of just scrounging around for info, I think my ownership experience will improve. /RantComplete
Attached Images

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:51 AM

New Site Garage
Welcome. You are about to get a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

For Free!

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM

New Site Garage
Search through 3 cylinder maintenance sector and look for sticky saying about manuals.
Donsy provided lots of manuals from all kinds of models.
You'll find what you need there.

You probably have either a faulty fuel connector thats causing the leak. Or its not pressed in propperly.
(I myself had a fuel leak aswell, bought from brand new, heavy fuel smell, but no puddle) so lift tank and see if all connection hoses and connectors are fitted propperly.
The dealer said he used some sort of foam to stop the leak.

As for not finding how much oil is used, that is something I cannot consider an issue.
These bikes come with an oil cooler. And some people drain the cooler, some dont so you get mixed results.
Without draining oil cooler, between 2.0-2.5 bottles of 1 liter are used.
When checking oil level screw dip stick fully INTO the oil pan when checking.

Also if you check your coolant resorvoir, you'll see its filled to MIN level. Dont panic, this is normal and recommended level.
If you fill the resorvoir to 50% and higher she'll spill out coolant when hot.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah - I just had the tank off when I had to remove the Evap can. It leaked fuel before and it's leaking fuel after. The lines are secure under the tank, but I haven't checked/tested the lines inside the tank. My local dealer just got rid of their franchise, and the new area dealer isn't set up yet - so it's been a PITA to get local support here. I'm sure I can pay the outgoing dealer the $140/hour to fix it, but since I just bought the bike from them last year, and it should be under warranty - I can't rationalize that.

I did check Donsy's site a couple times for a '17 Brutale 800, and I don't think I came across one, but I'll double check and save it for future reference if it's out there.

That's where I'm at with the oil. I did drain the oil cooler and the lines - so I put in 2.8-ish. So now I'm just draining a bit, riding it, checking the level, and repeating until it drops to a reasonable level. I can't be over by more then 10-15%% or so, so I can't see it being a serious issue if I don't rip on it and let the oil pressure build.

I did see that note about the min level for the coolant. -So thanks for whoever originally posted about that lol. I got stuck in 45 minutes of traffic the other day, and she got sick and tossed out quite a bit of coolant from the overflow to the point where I couldn't see any left in the overflow tank at all. Since no dealer around me stocks, "Motul Motocool Factory Line" coolant, which apparently came with the bike - I flushed it and have some engine ice in her now. I figure that's accessible enough that if it starts spitting coolant again, at least I can just drop some in the side of the reserve tank without needing to flush.

Really appreciate the direction fellas and/or ladies.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Hello & Welcome
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Hello and welcome

2014 Rivale in Black
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Welcome! I'd definitely have MV warranty the leaking fuel tank when the dealer opens - but since you removed the canister, they might not honor the warranty?

I didn't see a 2018 B3 800 manual on Donsy's sight - he doesn't have EVERY manual out there, quite a few are missing.

2010 Brutale 990R - 1994 Elefant 900 - 2006 KTM 450EXC Street Legal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode