More help with maintenance - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mario Landavoz
  • 1 Post By esq'z me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

More help with maintenance

Hi Yall,

So I have a problem with my MV Agusta F4 750 S 1+1. It started overheating (230F+) and leaking coolant from the little hose located on the left side of the bike. I'm not sure what it could be? Could it be the thermostat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by Carrera; 07-19-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
More likely the cooling system cap not holding pressure.
What year model is your 750? Suggest you create a signature with your bike listed so people like me don't keep asking that question.

How many miles? and is this a "New" experience (didn't do this in the past), indicating something has changed?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Cooling system cap huh. Its a 2003 MV with 17,500 miles. It only overheats during real hot temperature riding through traffic. It started doing this last summer also but prior I don't recall it ever happening.

I live in Asheville, NC and finding a mechanic to work on it is really tough. None of the bike dealerships around town want to work on MVs.

Last edited by Carrera; 07-20-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Established Member

Spitting coolant is a common milady with LC motorcycles. There are a few common causes:

> Rad cap (as mentioned by XQsMe)
> Air in the cooling system causing hot spots/boiling
> Fan not starting soon enough or not at all.
> Coolant mixed too strong (too much coolant, not enough water)
> Coolant pump impeller worn

The cap is an easy low-cost guess. Draining and replacing coolant with distilled water + Water Wetter is another easy test.

Verify that fan is coming on at the proper temp. If it starts at a temp higher than it should, that can cause the cooling system to be over-whelmed and not be able to recover, causing the symptoms you describe. The KTM 690 Duke is plagued with that issue, and the fix is to simply replace the fan switch with one that starts the fan at a low temp.
Carrera likes this.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Superbike Unlimited is in Asheville near the airport. Tell "Tex" (Anthony) I sent you. He is one of the technicians. They'll work on your bike.

Also, suggest you contact Merc07 (Adam) forum member who can fix you up with a chip for your ECU that will turn the fans on sooner and make the bike run better all around.

Just like on cars, radiator caps can wear out and start releasing pressure too early. Lower pressure results in earlier boiling of coolant.
Carrera likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch you guys yall were a huge help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode