Hello and i already need help - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By esq'z me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Hello and i already need help

Hello everyone. My name is Eero and i am from Finland. I recenly got myself a Brutale 989r from 2009. It has 17000km on clock. No mods only gear lever spring and rear hub uprages, full Mv agusta dealer maintance history since it was bought.

So to my problem now. Two days ago i was on little road trip (about 400 km in total) and i was cruising at 100 km/h around 4500 rpm and when i twisted the throttle it started to stutter and didnt accelerate. It went away after i switched to lower gear and the rest of the journey went great.

Yesterday i rode the bike to work no problems what so ever. When i was trying to start it after work it didnt start so well and idled poorly and shut off after giving a bit throttle. I just wish its nothing too big broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Couldnt find edit and forgot to add that where should i start looking for fault or just tow to dealer. It feels like its either not getting fuel or spark. I couldnt find much info for my model on internet.

Spark plugs were changed 4000 km ago. Just wondering what could be already broken with my mileage.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:04 AM
Established Member

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...3.pdf%3Fdl%3D0

You should find your manual in here along with a troubleshootingguide.
// Jimmi

***F3 675 2012***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:05 AM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the family - don't forget to post a few pics of the bike...if it's the 989r it's most likely orange...but not always.

Anyway, 17k on the clock is nothing for these bikes...the problem is the history and that previous owners have tended to treat them like princesses. The bikes need to be ridden hard and across the rev range. @4500rpm, your only just over a 3rd of its rev range. A number of B4 models have often had a slight power dip (I'm going to say around the 4k rev range) - think flat spot. Not uncommon and often resolved with a remap of the ECU.

This Flat spot generally occurs around the same rev range and can (obviously) be alleviated by a different gear choice. It's especially annoying when you hit a corner in 1/2nd gear at the wrong speed and you're sitting on the flat spot.

Try some further testing to confirm it's a flat-spot problem...if not, then we can diagnose the other potential issues - E.g. 17k on the clock and a 10 year old bike means it's average 1900 kilometres a year...fuel rubbers, fuel filter etc... could come into play...but let's start simple.

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatFast View Post
You should find your manual in here along with a troubleshootingguide.
// Jimmi
Thank you, i will give it a look once i get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Welcome to the family - don't forget to post a few pics of the bike...if it's the 989r it's most likely orange...but not always.

Its red. I will post some pictures when i get to desktop and i get permission to add pictures to album.

I know the previous owner really well and the bike was treated like real princes since new. My previous bike was ducati so i have to try to get used to i4 engine.I got used to ride the Duc at 4k-5krpm when cruising.

Tomorrow i have time to sit down with the bike and try figure out the problem. I have only worked with ducatis and other air cooled older v-twins before so that manual posted earlier will be really helpful. Brutale is way more complicated than my duc was.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family !!!

The 989 is basically the same bike as the 910, 920, 1078, and 1090 Brutales. At that mileage, and (especially) age, I will guess your problem may be fuel delivery related.

Time to inspect (replace) the fuel tank internal hoses and probably replace the filter. That is what your symptom descriptions lead me to.
Terrys409 likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 AM

Hello & Welcome
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Problem seems like has solved itself. Could have rain caused these issues? It was rainy night and bike was outside overnight before the problems. After sitting inside two days it started fine and ran like it used to. I took a little ride around the block yesterday evening (around 200km), rode it much harder than usually and everything worked like a charm. I have my 18k km service coming in soon. I will tell them about the issue and to replace the fuel hoses and fuel filter anyway.

To the flat spot, theres a spot at just a little over 5000 rpm where the bike doesent feel as responsive and isnt as smooth as everywhere else on rev range.

Thank you to everyone who took their time to respond and help!

Current bike:
-2009 Brutale 989r

Old bikes
-2004 Ducati monster 1000
-2002 Suzuki gsx750f
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:14 AM

New Site Garage
Eeros,

Could have been the rain. Mine's played up occasionally in wet weather. Treat all connections with dielectric grease as you come across them.

Cheers

Deano

2009 1078RR Brutale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode