looking at a 2015 F3 800 and hello - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Cool looking at a 2015 F3 800 and hello

hey Guys,
Im looking at a 2015 F3 800 with 26000 km on the clock in Australia,
And wanted some advice on what faults to look for, and what updates to the stock ecu and rest of the bike should be present. This will be my first single sided swing arm bike I will purchase and was wondering what parts of the bike I should be checking for wear.
The bike has been modified with suspension upgrades not specified other than
"suspension has been done at race centre".
Im aware of the starter clutch issue and snatchy throttle from reading the forums . But not sure if it applies to 2015 bikes or not? any help on what to look for would be appreciated.

Im currently riding heavily modified '87 FJ1200 which will be brought back to stock and traded in as part of the purchase price of $10k-$11k.
I have a long list of bikes previously owned including RZ350 , RZ500 (the 350 was quicker (head shave, big pistons, custom tig pipes, fuel injection into the crankcase destroyed it on its first track day), maybe 6x 1k sportsbikes suzuki's Yam's and kwaka's and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM

I personally would steer clear of a F3 800 with that many miles/KM's. Not sure of the market pricing on these used bikes in Australia, but what other comparative bikes are priced at with lower miles? Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but these bikes do have some issues, and for sure some wear and tear on a bike this many miles, might reduce your trouble free mile time.

2015 MV Agusta F3 800
2011 Triumph 675R
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family. !! Add your location to your profile.

The early 675s had some engine problems but the 800s seem to be improved. I would not worry about the mileage...that is not all that much.

These bikes are just as reliable as any other brand (more so than some) and are very easy to work on. Even Yamaha and Suzuki get complaints of snatchy throttle on some bikes.

The single sided swing arm is no big deal...Honda has used one, Ducati has used one....the hub requires regular service, but problems with everything post 2010 are few.

Just be aware that some dealers seem to have problems getting parts (others don't...I think it is a crappy dealer issue more than anything else). Be prepared to enjoy the foibles of owning a boutique exotic marque.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:20 PM

New Site Garage
26.000km on odometer means valve inspection and/or valve adjustments had to take place at 24.000km.
So make sure to ask them if it has been done.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 AM

Hello & Welcome
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:59 AM

New Site Garage
Good luck, the engine is terrific... caveat emptor..

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
Im in Australia and the first bike I looked at 16k kms for au$10k.
but it was too far for a pickup and we could find descent price for transport.

The Bike I settled on is closer and yes great to know about the service schedule. Having racing suspension Mods means it probably has had a hard life and thats fine with me I like my motors to be pushed hard its good for ring seal. provided people play attention to the oil.
But also means suspension and brakes may have been abused.
Decades ago a bike with 26k kms on it would be a bike close to the end of its service life.
But modern bike's with CNC machining and modern ballancing modern timing chains and such tend to hold up very well. So Im not scared or worried about a 26k motor. Plus I own a spanner or two with BFH to back it up8)~

thanks
and I will update later when I get a chance
NotThatFast likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say10 View Post
Decades ago a bike with 26k kms on it would be a bike close to the end of its service life.
But modern bike's with CNC machining and modern ballancing modern timing chains and such tend to hold up very well. So Im not scared or worried about a 26k motor. Plus I own a spanner or two with BFH to back it up8)~
Iím with you on this one, people are afraid of bikes with some miles/kms on them and thats a good thing for us.
Always bought bikes that people Said had questionable qc and so far it has turned out good, come on Cagiva-era Ducatis wasnít exactly high on people list of good quality. Always fun and everything can be repaired if needed.
I say go for it if youíre Going to use it an dont just collect.
Good luck from sweden
//Jimmi

***F3 675 2012***
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

I actually tried for a long time to buy a GSXR750 but people who never ride them think that a 10year old bike with 3000km on the clock are worth same price as a 2 year old bike. IE a couple $k of new prices.
I gave up in the end trying to explain your unused garage queen bike with some whale dick exhaust pipe is going to need a lot of work. Radiator fluid, brake lines,brake fluid, caliper seals, fork seals fuel filters and your shitty brand new 10year old tyres (tyres=tires for you Americans 8)~ )will have to go as well.

In the end a mate said to me have you checked out the MV 800 and after that it was pure love. Bikes with sensible pricing and for what your getting.
esq'z me and NotThatFast like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 AM

I donít know much yet about their reliability so canít comment on that but Iím looking at an F3 myself, they sure are beautiful bikes!! Good luck with your search

Tags
f3 800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode