New member with new bike and problems already - MVAgusta.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

New member with new bike and problems already

Hi folks,

I am brand new to the forum and a very recent new owner of a 2005 Brutal 910s.

I bought the bike this weekend and unfortunately on the ride home it started to cough and hesitate.

I had a 30 mile ride home on mostly motorway. After about 5 minutes in, I was pulling away at lights and it was incredibly jerky, i.e. power, no power, power, no power.

It gradually accelerated and once at full throttle it would pull ok.

I pulled over, did visual checks and no issue. She was idling fine.

I joined the motorway and again, hesitation. I managed to tickle it up to 70-75mph and managed to have it sit there without any issues until I got home.

I’ve tried to run it again this morning believing it might just be old fuel (I then filled with 98 ron petrol), still the same issue, if not worse.

Really hesitant and running rough. I’d conclude that the issue is worse when the bike’s cold.

I’m gutted and the seller clearly would have known there was an issue. I am hoping that it’s a small issue, maybe a faulty lead or fuel pump?

Anyone have any clues and be able to assist?

I’ve swapped a fuel pump before so I am happy to tackle this, but I wondered if this forum might know of any quirks or faults that sound similar to the above.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:15 AM

New Site Garage
Hello and welcome,

Sorry to hear that your first ride wasnt as expected.
I for one cannot help you, but im sure someone will come by and be able to understand and help with the current "issue"

Post a picture of the bike though
Just drag the photo from the folder its in to underneath the quick reply box.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:37 AM

New Site Garage
Hey Tiddsey, welcome to the family firstly and really sorry to hear about your first experience.

First things first, please put your location and bike model in your profile - super helpful to us in the forum. (although you did state you've got a 910s in the text).

There is decades of information and hundreds of years of experience so the SEARCH function will provide tremendous value.

As you probably know, without a known history to the bike then it's generally a process of elimination ...especially where ignition/fuellng is concerned.

We don't know how long the bike has been sitting around unused and how long that fuel has been there.

1. It's unlikely to be the fuel pump but could be the submerged internal fuel filter (inside the tank attached the pump)
2. Your internal fuel lines may have eroded slightly
3. Your description doesn't sound like it's missing a cylinder - but don't rule out a faulty coil (the generation 1 bikes wont tell you if you have a coil fault)

Credit to SilentService for the drawing - thanks Chuck

I'd start with fueling...
Attached Images

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I can't take credit or the drawing...I'll pass that on to @Donsy.

But, I will second the notion that fuel lines and the filter certainly need to be checked. The shown tank is a US version of an F4 system. The 910S is very similar.

Here is the Euro Version of a 910 tank (note the dual o-rings)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  255.4 KB

Here is the US version:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  136.5 KB

Here is a close up of the Evap Canister:

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  249.4 KB

You can download your manuals free here: Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta Just scroll till you find that which you seek....and then give @Donsy a virtual hug and a beer!

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:47 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family !!! Where are you on the planet?

You might also look at spark plugs.... but I agree that the filter and internal fuel lines are first inspection. Plus you have to take off the tank to get to the plugs anyway.

I will wager it is something very simple. The 910 is a great bike. Yours has the 1.6M ECU, so the chip can be exchanged to change fuel and ignition maps. Do a search for Merc07 .... The forum's resident "chip master".

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive replies, really useful information. It's comforting to have this kind of support on a forum for such an 'exclusive' brand of bike!

Ironically I also have an Aprilia pegaso as a commuter and i had very similar problems. After the fuel pump failed altogether, I replaced and changed the fuel lines which came with the replacement pumps ensemble. Turned out they were incorrect lines and the clamps cut into them and they split. The subsequent symptoms were incredibly similar to those I'm experiencing with the Brutale.

I'll whip the tank off and check all the lines and most likely replace the filter. I believe this is the correct filter?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M...53.m1438.l2649

I'll also check the spark plugs and visual check the coil and lead.

Shes a bit long in the tooth at 30k miles, but when it was running steadily, it sounded incredible!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Established Member

Tiddsey - I agree with the posts above that it could be a fuel system issue as discussed. When I encounter this kind of stuff, I go back to all the basics and try to "zero time" the bike. Battery voltage, electrical connections, grounds, dirty stuff, modifications, plugs signs of burnt or overheated components etc etc. This bike has 30k so it is not close to being new, so you just have to check everything that could possibly affect the fuel and ignition systems and that means all the "stupid stuff" as noted. Don't overlook the obvious

RC
Failure is not an option

2016 Tri Thruxton R
2005 Ago F4 1000
2005 BMW 1200GS
1995 Duc 916
1994 Bim DB2
1986 Duc MHR Mille
1983 BMW R100S
1975 Hon 400
1975 BMW R90S
1974 Duc 750 Sport
1972 Hon 750
1966 Hon S90
1965 Duc Monza
1971 Norton 750
1971 BMW R75

Last edited by Rob Caso; 07-09-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Typo
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Established Member

One more comment. My riding buddy yrs ago bought for almost no money a perfect Tri Sprint RS. Three dealers could not get it to run right so they got rid of it.

The problem? The fuses in the fuse panel had worked themselves upward, causing various intermittent electrical issues. But you could not really see this by looking at the fuse panel. The fix? He pushed all the fuses back in and the bike has run perfectly ever since.

Don't overlook the obvious.
esq'z me and falcn like this.

RC
Failure is not an option

2016 Tri Thruxton R
2005 Ago F4 1000
2005 BMW 1200GS
1995 Duc 916
1994 Bim DB2
1986 Duc MHR Mille
1983 BMW R100S
1975 Hon 400
1975 BMW R90S
1974 Duc 750 Sport
1972 Hon 750
1966 Hon S90
1965 Duc Monza
1971 Norton 750
1971 BMW R75
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Caso For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Caso View Post
One more comment. My riding buddy yrs ago bought for almost no money a perfect Tri Sprint RS. Three dealers could not get it to run right so they got rid of it.

The problem? The fuses in the fuse panel had worked themselves upward, causing various intermittent electrical issues. But you could not really see this by looking at the fuse panel. The fix? He pushed all the fuses back in and the bike has run perfectly ever since.

Don't overlook the obvious.
Thats actually a very interesting point and reminded me of another little issue that completely slipped my mind. Once I came off the motorway down to lower speeds (30-40mph) the bike 'glitched' for a split second and the speedo stopped recording speed. The bike continued to run, and the tacho continued to work but the speedo read '0 mph'.

It continued like this for about 5 minutes, only when I opened the throttle and got up to higher speeds it jumped back to life again and started working as normal.

Related?!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Hello & Welcome

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I was interested to hear that you have two bikes that suffer from the similar problem. Can I ask, do you get your fuel from Supermarkets? I have had problems with fuel from Tesco and I only use Shell or BP now. This might be a contributory factor to the problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode