Suffolk UK member track only 2012 F4RR - MVAgusta.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Suffolk UK member track only 2012 F4RR

Hi, I'm new to MV ownership but not new to riding MV. I raced a 312R a little over 10 years ago and have always had a passion for the brand for as long as I can remember. I've just bought a 2012 F4RR track bike which is completely stock at the mo so will be looking to do some simple mods to start with like exhaust and fueling. Any advice on the best route forward for this will be much appreciated, I've only ever used power commanders or stand alone ECUs in the past so if there are other/better options I'm all ears!!

I see there are a few UK track day guys on here, is there ever a specific mvagusta.net track day or anything?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Welcome MartyBee from another UK member. Can't help you with any tips for your race bike but will watch your progress with interest.

Enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Based in Rutland UK.

2015 Brutale 800RR
The Following User Says Thank You to Brutale800RR For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family @martybee58 .... I'm not much help with second generation F4 mods, but I am sure someone who has experience will chime in.

From what I have read, the newer ECUs can be mapped with available software. Power Commanders are kind of obsolete these days (why add a piggy back device when the ECU itself can be adjusted?).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:49 AM

Welcome, not aware of any trackday group for the UK, Cadwell and Oulton are my fav in UK, woudl be good to occupy a garage and push the R1's and Zx10's out

2012 I assume is the last of the Magneti Marelli ecu's rather than the Eldor ecu's. If its the MM, microtec seems to be the way to go, Chris at Xbikes is the simplest. If you have the first of the Eldor ecu's (unlikely) then ECU Studio is the best way in my opinion.

Cheers

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
The Following User Says Thank You to dansoarr For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the replies, I believe mine is the 2012 MM system..... I know Chris at X-Bikes, it was his MV team that I rode for back in the day!! That pic on my first post is one of his bikes. I'll see what he has to say and go from there.

Once my bike is up and running would be cool if we could organise a track day and get a few MVs there, which group do you go in Aaron? Do you see any stand out advantages/disadvantages with your MV vs the more common choices (R1, ZX10 etc)?
esq'z me likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Hi and welcome.

Can't contribute to the track talk, but when you get around to talking bikes in lounge rooms, I'm in!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelrb For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 AM

I should say I hate Snetterton crashed there badly and I blame the circuit!

I raced for a few years gsxr's 600, 750's and 1000. With the MV if I'm going on my own i normally just go fast or inters as I tend to just want to have a little fun (see profile pic). If I'm with mates (i build their race bikes) then I go Fast group, so I can see what happening on track.

Pro's and Cons of the MV vs the current crop of bikes.
1. People walk past the HP4's to look at the MV, that always brings a smile to my face.
2. Power, to be honest I don't have issues on straights etc with being out powered, at the end of the day I have more power than I can lay down, so it's about using it. Torque, max throttle etc is all limited even if you turn the basic electronics off, at the end of the day there is a limit to traction, and we all suffer with it. So a few more Peak BHP makes no difference on a trackday or even average club race as you know.
3. Chassis, I really had to shed some weight from up high, coming from the japs, on the MV you sit high and the CoG is very high with the standard exhaust, it weighs a lot. Once I had that sorted I felt a lot more at home.
4. Throttle control, I prefer the control I have to that I have on the R1 (2018)
5. Brakes, not a lot in it here either. I run PFM iron disks and Ferrodo CP1 pads, with a Galespeed MC. I like quite a lot of initial bike, which with the high seat and weight was not a recipe for feeling safe.
6. Spares, here you have to say getting spares is harder, everywhere has what you need new or used for a GSXR, with the MV you have to be a little more prepared.
7. Tyres, not a problem getting good rubber obviously as they take the common fitments, but getting the rear put on the corrcet wayt around is sometimes a challenge as the see the arrow on the rim for tightening and assume that's for tire direction.

All in all I wouldn't swap for the R1 or ZX10
esq'z me likes this.

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
I should say I hate Snetterton crashed there badly and I blame the circuit!
The new Snetterton layout or the old one? I like(d) the old and the new, probably because as its my local one its the one i ride the most. I find it good for testing as there is a good mix of slow and fast corners now.

Thanks for the in depth explanation, I'm sure between myself and Chris (X-Bikes) we'll get my one to a point where I'm happy with it, he's pretty good at taking my feedback and sorting out things to how i like. If I can get the bike and myself up to a respectable pace I may even enter a race or two.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybee58 View Post
The new Snetterton layout or the old one? I like(d) the old and the new, probably because as its my local one its the one i ride the most. I find it good for testing as there is a good mix of slow and fast corners now.

Thanks for the in depth explanation, I'm sure between myself and Chris (X-Bikes) we'll get my one to a point where I'm happy with it, he's pretty good at taking my feedback and sorting out things to how i like. If I can get the bike and myself up to a respectable pace I may even enter a race or two.
It was the old layout at the end of the revit straight as was.

Personal preference circuit wise is a little strange for me, Cadwell and Oulton its the rise and fall that makes them special for me, but then its places like mallory, knockhill and Brands indy that also appeal. Although I can say I find Mallory was not fun on the F4.

As far as racing is concerned, that particular set of leathers are hung up and probably never to be dusted off.

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:11 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
Welcome to the forum!!

2015 Yamaha FJ-09
2012 Brutale 1090RR
2005 Yamaha R6 - Sold
The Following User Says Thank You to gotfolk For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode