Hello from Arnie - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Diablo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Arnie

Hi.
New to the forum and forums in general. Please be patient. Have joined a number of MV groups on Facebook since recently buying my first MV from Gumtree an F4 312R 2007 with 42K km and bringing it down to Victoria from Harvey Bay in Queensland. Have been trolling the forum and found it so valuable. Thanks to the admins and all the contributors.
Picked bike up from DR Transport in Box Hill but it stopped 2 Km short of dealers Mid Life Cycles in Richmond where I had booked for an ECU update. Thanks to Michael for picking me up and all the staff for looking after me and finding the starter relay corrosion. Unfortunately got stuck in Friday evening peak hour city traffic and had to stop twice to let the bike cool when it reached 120C. Will soon be looking at cooling improvements. OK next day on the highway home to Portland in the country. Cannot say it is the most comfortable bike although a cruise control may help.
Latch pin in seat fell out which made it challenging to get the seat up. Had to work it out and use a piece of wire to release it.
Awaiting a DNA air filter as the the foam filter was falling apart.
Had to extend my rear stand so that hooks now lift on the foot peg bracket.
Thanks to the forum for info about "Seal Mate". I made one myself and fixed the leaking fork seal.
Will be getting a radiator bracket from Gotojoe as mine has already had to be repaired.
Roadworthy & rego later this week. Thanks again to the forum for pointing out that unlike Japanese bikes lights only operate when the engine is running.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Hi Arnie, and welcome.

Shame to hear about those first 'niggles', but be assured that once you've ironed those out and essentially 'recommissioned' the bike, you be rapt.

An F4 will never be the most comfortable ride, but it's way up there as the most pleasing ride

I truly appreciate mine - although the slower version of yours. You'll see many threads on here about heating 'problems'. I'm far from an authority on MV, but I can't help feeling that my bike seems happy running a few degrees hotter than we would generally see from other bikes. One tip to be aware of is to not overfill the coolant reservoir. In fact, any fluid over and above the min fill line is generally spewed out during the first ride. Seems a common trait on the F4 - also widely covered in this forum.

You're living in a great riding area. I spent many years on the opposite side of Melbourne - Healesville, with its playground the Black Spur on my doorstep!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family !!!

Great bike and sounds like your problems were/are all just maintenance needed things. Not sure what is this ECU update you referred to. The 5SM ECUs never had any "updates" from MV.

You will find the F4 is not a traffic kind of bike. Aerodynamics do not allow much air to move when the bike is sitting still.

A good coolant flush and fill is probably needed (suggest you also flush and refresh the brake and clutch fluids as well). An up-dated water pump is available (both MV and aftermarket) that will help as well.

Enjoy !!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via MSN to gotfolk Send a message via Skype™ to gotfolk
Welcome to the forum!!

2015 Yamaha FJ-09
2012 Brutale 1090RR
2005 Yamaha R6 - Sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

My MV runs at 80-90C on the open road a bit hotter than my GSXR1000 but it would seem that's to be expected. More straight roads around Portland. Great Ocean Road is has too much traffic now for my liking. Did a trip a few years ago Reefton Black Spur then Yea, Eildon, Jamison road to Mansfield and up King Valley to Bright. Should have completed the loop via Alpine Highway. Do the occasional track day at Mac Park in Mt Gambier. Thanks for the info about the 5SM ECUs esq'z me. I was hoping the dealer would be able to reset the fan temperature settings but you are right and as they fixed the starter relay issues when I was stranded I couldn't complain. Do the 2nd generation fairings have better heat ventilation and do they fit the 1st gen. Coolant flush & refill on the to do list and then manual fan switch.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:35 AM

Welcome to the world of forums Arnie - I'm a big fan having met many of my friends and indeed my husband on forums over the years

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have actually been considering coming to Oz for Xmas and NY on a loan bike, but I'm a bit scared about the temperatures - any idea where the coolest part of the country is in December??? I was looking at Sydney - Melbourne, and figure up in the mountains might be ok, but not sure about the rest. I'm Scottish, so me and sunshine are not a good mix

anothermvfanatic likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Hello & Welcome

Now take your crash helmet off your foot peg, before it falls off, you silly Boy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
. . . I have actually been considering coming to Oz for Xmas and NY on a loan bike, but I'm a bit scared about the temperatures - any idea where the coolest part of the country is in December??? I was looking at Sydney - Melbourne, and figure up in the mountains might be ok, but not sure about the rest. I'm Scottish, so me and sunshine are not a good mix

The coolest part of the country is Tasmania, but that's a ferry trip from Melbourne. You could still expect peaks of mid-30s there.

Melbourne can peak at 42s but averages around 32 - 35c in December. Sydney tends to be the same but with lower humidity. However, weather is generally a lottery, and you could strike a patch of clouds and showers with temps falling to 18 to 20s. Can't offer anything about the mountains - Snowy Mountains for instance, but they'll not have the same drop in temps as you find in Scotland.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelrb For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post

That's really useful - thanks Nigel. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to cope in those sorts of temps???
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPARAUK View Post
Hello & Welcome

Now take your crash helmet off your foot peg, before it falls off, you silly Boy
Yes silly but I had just picked the bike up from the transporter and it had died and I had just finished pushing it for about 2 blocks on a rather warm Melbourne day and had given up and was waiting to be picked up by the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode