New F4 owner - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

New F4 owner

Hello everyone. I have recently become the proud owner of a 2007 F4 1000R and I couldn't be happier despite the fact that I have spent as much time tinkering with the beautiful beast as I have riding it. I was lucky enough to acquire this work of art with only 3600 miles on it but already i have had to replace the submerged fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel filter (a seemingly common replacement). My goal, that Im sure I share with many if not all of you, is to get this thing in perfect working order and ride off into the sunset. Unfortunately this is proving a bit of a challenge. I have run into some issues that I am having trouble diagnosing and finding solutions for and I hoping that this community will be the place to begin to find answers.

Looking forward to learning and contributing where I can,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

issues I am currently dealing with, a bouncing and otherwise unsmooth tachometer needle - I have found an older thread suggesting that the problem could be a "smoothing capacitor failure" within the tachometer itself. The thread went cold several years ago and Im not sure what the fix is for this problem. I also have an issue with the bike idling out without turning the little "choke" cold start control. The previous owner told me that he was told that the fuel map needed to be updated but I have called every Italian bike shop in Texas with no one being able to tell me if this is the problem or if they can offer a solution.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I also have been looking for a replacement O ring for the heat exchanger and again no one has been able to locate this part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Hi Adam, and welcome. A shame that these few 'problems' might have taken the gloss off your fine acquisition. Whilst I am no help technically, I hope you get it resolved very soon.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2011 CBR1000RR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I have lusted over the idea of owning an f4 since the first time I saw one in person in 05. finding parts has been difficult and while I am capable at turning a wrench, finding specific insight into some of this beautiful beasts quirks has proven to be difficult thus far. but most things worth doing are difficult.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:07 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Adam, firstly, Welcome to family. Secondly you have the wealth of knowledge here that will get you riding off into the sunset, experts in all fields that will help you sort out all your niggles.
Once you are able to if you put the relevant issues under the correct sections and you will be underway. Once sorted your bike will get into your soul like no other.....enjoy.
I hope the seller gave you a good deal knowing the work needed?

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of clay.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO Chris View Post
. . . I hope the seller gave you a good deal knowing the work needed?
Point well made. And so do I. The seller surely couldn't have been blind to these niggles. Whilst there are opportunists in every field of sales, I firmly believe the MV 'community' would not try to 'pass off' or hide irregularities from a prospective purchaser.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2011 CBR1000RR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:58 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Point well made. And so do I. The seller surely couldn't have been blind to these niggles. Whilst there are opportunists in every field of sales, I firmly believe the MV 'community' would not try to 'pass off' or hide irregularities from a prospective purchaser.
Nicely put Nigel..

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of clay.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family !!! The tach needled is probably bouncing because the idle speed is not stable and correct. Le's focus on that part.

First, there are no routine "Map Updates" for your bike. I think you have a 1.6M ECU in which case a new chip from Merc07 (Adam) might be just what the doctor ordered.

On the other hand, your 2007 may be the first of the 5SM ECU (I'm old and can't recall which year in the US began the 5SM upgrade). If that is the case then you need to find someone with the VDST software who can check your TPS setting.

Actually..regardless of ECU...the TPS is the first thing to check with regards idle. Sounds like your bike just needs a good "tune up" (throttle body synch, idle speed, spark plugs).

As for the o-ring..... McMaster-Carr carries just about any o-ring you might need. You only need determine the ID and cross section measurements and material, then peruse the catalog on-line. https://www.mcmaster.com/

OR....contact a dealer who actually orders parts for MVs and order one. I can highly recommend The DucShop in Marietta GA. They usually get common items like that for me in 10~14 days.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
ED is on the right track.

Your 2007 F4 has the Magneti Marelli 5SM ECU. VDST software and connecting cable is what is needed to reset the TPS and look at other electronic functionality.

For the tachometer bouncing, I would first try accessing the back of the instrument panel by removing the side fairings and the nose. The nose can be a bit fiddly to get back on correctly without breaking the locating pins that center the fairing stalks so that the turns signale activate. The key ti loosen the two nuts that hold the mirrors in place on each side BEFORE loosening the long bolt that holds the fairing in place. On reassembly, do not be ham-handed. Be deliberate. The fairing stays will locate on the pins and hold the assembly in place while you gently tighten the bolts.

You bike manuals can be found here and downloaded for free: Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

Once the nos is off you can access the multi-pin plug on the back of the instrument panel. Remove it. Use some electronics cleaner to clean it. Replace it.

While there are no mapping updates for your model, there are improvements that can be made to fueling by having your ECU tuned.

Look in our very own MARKETPLACE section to find the site sponsors that support this site and can get you parts.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs ("Slightly" modded...), '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode