New member Australia - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
THAT is very interesting B_G_S. As you're probably aware, ABS is compulsory (in EU) on motorcycles over 125cc since 2016.

Now that you've mentioned the facility to turn ABS off completely, I wonder if that contravenes any road safety regulations? Doesn't affect me, I just express interest and surprise in this.
Now that you mentioned that, I might be wrong with the completely off setting with ABS. Im 100% sure of the 1&2 setting.
I do know you can turn off traction control completely.
nigelrb likes this.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 03:58 AM

My understanding is that the F3 like the F4 when the ABS is set to off, it's off not just reduced.

The Yam R1 does the same, off is off. The extra hose lengths do create a different feeling even when ABS is off. The Yam R1 I find quite gauge, which is why we tend to remove the ABS, to get a good feel and a significant weight reduction.

As I understand it UNECE Regulation 78 that covers ABS in Europe does not explicitly mention the ability to disable or prevent the user from disabling the system. This was deliberate as there were submissions about the use of ABS with trials bikes etc that can legitimately and legally be used off road yet have to remain compliant with road regulations at all times. Where mandated abs systems may not work correctly if designed for tarmac.

This has left the door open for manufacturers to enable the system to be disabled by the user, unlike emission control etc. Hence no prosecutions.
nigelrb likes this.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
The Following User Says Thank You to dansoarr For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Abs

Regulations are sometimes left as vague as the legislation for a reason but I'd be more concerned if there was an incident and the evidence showed that the ABS had been turned off .... is there anything in insurance that would allow them not to pay out because I am sure that they will not pay unless they need to and especially in Europe.

Just my 0.02C worth
nigelrb likes this.

2015 Stradale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Regulations are sometimes left as vague as the legislation for a reason but I'd be more concerned if there was an incident and the evidence showed that the ABS had been turned off .... is there anything in insurance that would allow them not to pay out because I am sure that they will not pay unless they need to and especially in Europe.

Just my 0.02C worth
If you circumvent a safety system, by that I mean disable a system that there is no user facility to do so, then you may be in a little trouble if they test it or can detect it.

I've always ridden modified bikes, including my race bikes with daytime Mots (for test purposes), I've never had any vehicle inspected after an accident, apart from tyres and documents even on visibly modified bikes. If your bike is inspected closely enough to detect non-user enabled disabling of a system there are probably bigger issues at play, i.e loss of life.

Suspension settings, traction control, abs are suggested settings by the factory for an average rider, what constitutes an average rider for an MV I'm not sure.

Riding with ABS enabled, and stock suspension settings if you weigh 17 stone is probably more of an issue.

Of course on many MV's it's a lot easier to detect a malfunctioning rear brake, (a legal requirement) at the side of the road, which is an issue for the MOT and more importantly the construction and use regulations which apply at all times.

My UK view

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
@Manic: Does your car track have a museum and a winery?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Museum and winery sounds like fun but alas no (Hampton Downs) www.drivesupercars.co.nz

2015 Stradale
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I have been to Highlands....

Name:  DSC_0971.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  10.36 MB

https://highlands.co.nz/

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode