False neutrals and ghost shifting? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
False neutrals and ghost shifting?

Wierdest thing I've ever experianced today happenned. Getting ready for work, I went outside to roll the bike off it's stand, start the bike and it fires up as usual. I sit there for a second, and grab my helmet, jacket, and gloves sitting on the cooler next to it while it warm ups. I walk into the house to get my wallet and shut off the TV and hear a loud noise in the garage....

I go outside to look and see my beloved Brutale laying there, with the rear wheel spinning. Oddly enough, it didn't get any scratches from the ground, but it knicked my coloer ONE THE WAY DOWN and there are two scratches about 2 inches long, scuffs is a better term. It looks like you could maybe buff it out if it were a normal paintjob, but it's the opaque black color...i.e flat grey. And when I goto pick it up, I noticed the clutch lever ball was broken off

Either, it ghost shifted into 1st, and when it tipped over, shifted into second when the lever/shifter hit the ground, or it shifted into 2nd....eitherway, it shifted into a gear, moved foreward and came off the kickstand and fell over

Anybody else have this problem? Or have it ghost shift on you at a light and stall out(never had that happen)? The gearbox never acted funny, and still shifts flawlessly....it was just odd how that happenned and I wanna know if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening again. One of those freak occurances? Possible it wasn't "completely" shifted into neutral, and the clutch grabbed into gear? Kinda wierd if that's the case, seeing as how I was out there for like 20 seconds while it was idling....

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 PM

sorry to hear about that. I had a friend that had the same thing happen to his kawi....and ever since then i always sit on the bike and let her warm up (just to be safe).

it was probably not all the way in neutral for that to happen, now go fix that clutch lever
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:14 PM

maybe the cooler actually saved your bike from more damage? you should be hugging that cooler!!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Wow that is alarming. I suppose listen to the above about the not-shifted-all-the-way, but that is really an odd occurance. Sorry about the damage
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah...not even a week in the garage and it's getting raped by the cooler It's like Toy Story or Toy Soldiers....the things in the garage only ACT inanimate...till you leave.

Well, tough learning I guess. Never thought I'de be buying a Duc (having to sit on it while she warms up)

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:41 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that hurts!!!

I feel your pain and agony! I am soory... glad that it's not worse.

Was the kickstand properly engaged? did you have it all the way forward? if not, the engine vibration could have moved things a bit to cause it to fall. and shift into gear when impacted...I can't imagine that it could pop into 1st gear from neutral, the other way around perhaps...

owning a Ducati taught me to properly engage the kickstand well as they are spring loaded.

I also think you should thank your cooler, it broke the fall a little on the way down. the lever is easy to replace.

O D O N A T A

Last edited by odonata; 04-07-2006 at 06:44 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 PM

Nooooooooooooooo

Sorry to hear about that

But i had never even heard of that "ghost shifting".

Isn't it possible that someone did that? A kid or something? (i don't know how and where is your garage and if other people have access to it or not...)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
that completely sucks.
looks like the damange is pretty minor.

as for falling off the side stand, i can see it happen. the side stand on my F4 does NOT give me the most resounding confidence. it has a sort of "semi-stable" position, where it's extended but not fully against the stop. it would be REAL easy for the bike to roll off it in that position.

whenever i put the bike on that side stand, i really put my foot on it (the arm) and make sure it's at full lock before i load it with the bike's weight.

any chance that's what happened?

alex
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

I don't think any kids coulda done it. Nobody was even awake. It was 5:15 this morning.

I'm thankful as hell nothing else happened to it, but damn, those levers aren't exactly cheap

I found some levers:
http://www.moto-mv.com/other_special_parts.htm

Funny thing about it all, first thing I checked was the tank, cause it protrudes out, not even a scratch there! Same goes for the seat area and swingarm! The case cover had some really minor scratches, but after you brushed it off, you wouldn't even notice, as it's on the very bottom corner. The mirror has some really minor scratches on the corner as well, but aside from that, the rest of the bike is fine. Even the bar-end is untouched...I found that really odd....

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Last edited by oicdn; 04-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:51 PM

last week I was coming to a stop light glanced down and saw a green light and let go of the clutch. So I was waiting at the light and realised the green light was the headlight light and not the neutral light!

I was like 'what the hell' and I thought thiswas kinda shady as this has never happen on any of the 8 other bikes I ve ever owned.

It only happened once so far and I ll probably only warm it up with me sitting on it from now on....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode