MV Corse Special Parts Bikes, Kits and Factory Limited Editions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Questions about Gen1 F4 SP kits...

Why do you think the Viper (SP01), Mamba (SP02/03/04), and Corse (SP14/15) kits weren't more successful?

The Viper kit was $18,000. 50 Total; 12 in the US.
(All custom painted carbon bodywork, including fuel tank; magnesium wheels, swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples; RG3 exhaust; certification and badge.)

The Mamba Full Optional kit was $12,000. 300 Total; <15 in the US.
(All custom painted carbon bodywork, with steel fuel tank; forged aluminum wheels; standard swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples; RG3 exhaust; certification and badge; cover and available helmet.)

The Corse kit was $6,700. Add for Carbon Kit, Marchesinis, and Titanium Exhaust. 300 Total; <10 in the US.
(All custom painted plastic bodywork, with steel fuel tank; forged aluminum wheels; standard swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples; RG3 exhaust; certification and badge; cover and available helmet.)

IF there were a continuation run of any/all of these as Gen1 SP kits, would they be successfully sold? If so, in what quantities?

Everyone seems to lust after one or more of these. But few seem to be willing to part with the cash for one. Is the Gen1 market dead for such things?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VELTRO 1; 04-22-2014 at 03:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VELTRO 1 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 AM

New Site Garage
any limited serie is risky on replacement parts. at least one sp01 kit was used to repair a senna of this reason!

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:56 AM

????? Sorry Blake i just canīt understand.....the story behind the kits....was it in US ???
post #4 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruilosa View Post
????? Sorry Blake i just canīt understand.....the story behind the kits....was it in US ???
Yes. Even though in Europe these were all available to order as fully-built bikes, they were also much more widely available as Special Parts (SP) kits to add to any Gen1 F4. (That's why many call your Corse a "kit bike", because the majority were kits installed separately after bike/kit purchase rather than being built at CRC as complete bikes.)

The only way to get a Viper, Mamba, or Corse in the US was to buy the kit and have it installed on a new or used F4. Some of the few sold were dealers installing the kit on a new bike and charging for both as though it was imported that way. But they were still dealer "built" as new units.

The Nš 11 F4 Mamba, for instance, was a new 2005 F4 1000S and a Mamba SP03 kit. The kit was installed on the new bike at the dealer, and the dealer sold all the take-offs as parts while charging nearly $35,000. The customer bought it as a new bike, but it was imported as a standard F4 and a kit.

The Nš 23 Viper started as a new F4 750S and a Viper SP01 kit, at a total cost of over $36,000. The owner sold all the take-off parts here on mv.net and installed the kit for the bike to sit in her basement unridden until early in 2010 when she sold it for $16,000.

That's the basic story of the SP kits in the US, and it was also true for the majority of SP kits in Europe. There was just the available option in Europe of ordering the bike complete and usually waiting a few months for delivery.

Veltros and most Starfighters were different, all being built as complete bikes and only sold in Europe. But a few Starfighter kits made their way to the US, and were installed on bikes just like most of the F4 kits.

Last edited by VELTRO 1; 04-22-2014 at 03:27 PM.
post #5 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
any limited serie is risky on replacement parts. at least one sp01 kit was used to repair a senna of this reason!
This seems odd to me. The SP01 had all carbon bodywork, including the fuel tank. Neither of the Sennas had either, with only plastic bodywork and steel fuel tanks.

I love the Senna, especially the 750, but I would never cannibalize an SP01 of its parts to repair a Senna.

All replacement parts for limited editions are available from CRC on an order basis. Any complete limited edition or kit bodywork set can be ordered for replacement.

post #6 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Perhaps I'm just stuck in the past, and others don't have much desire or concern for the SP bikes. The Gen2 may have obsoleted the Gen1 in this regard, and us old guard are just being nostalgic.

The SP bikes started in 2002 and were pretty much gone by 2007, so it's been 12 years since the SP01 and 7 years and another generation of design since they were available.

But as much as I appreciate the new Gen2 F4RR as a more modern and superior overall product for today's market, Morton's beauty will fade while Tamburini's will remain timeless, even with its broader hips.

post #7 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELTRO 1 View Post
Yes. Even though in Europe these were all available to order as fully-built bikes, they were also much more widely available as Special Parts (SP) kits to add to any Gen1 F4. (That's why many call your Corse a "kit bike", because the majority were kits installed separately after bike/kit purchase rather than being built at CRC as complete bikes.)

The only way to get a Viper, Mamba, or Corse in the US was to buy the kit and have it installed on a new or used F4. Some of the few sold were dealers installing the kit on a new bike and charging for both as though it was imported that way. But they were still dealer "built" as new units.

The Nš 13 F4 Mamba, for instance, was a new 2005 F4 1000S and a Mamba SP03 kit. The kit was installed on the new bike at the dealer, and the dealer sold all the take-offs as parts while charging nearly $35,000. The customer bought it as a new bike, but it was imported as a standard F4 and a kit.

The Nš 23 Viper started as a new F4 750S and a Viper SP01 kit, at a total cost of over $36,000. The owner sold all the take-off parts here on mv.net and installed the kit for the bike to sit in her basement unridden until early in 2010 when she sold it for $16,000.

That's the basic story of the SP kits in the US, and it was also true for the majority of SP kits in Europe. There was just the available option in Europe of ordering the bike complete and usually waiting a few months for delivery.

Veltros and most Starfighters were different, all being built as complete bikes and only sold in Europe. But a few Starfighter kits made their way to the US, and were installed on bikes just like most of the F4 kits.
When the Corse was introduced to me on paper it was a full bike from CRC, thus the few months to receive it.

Now i understand, thank you Blake.

P.s Where the kits sold as such in the limited brochure ? I mean does the certificat say KIT ?
post #8 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I'm just stuck in the past, and others don't have much desire or concern for the SP bikes. The Gen2 may have obsoleted the Gen1 in this regard, and us old guard are just being nostalgic.

The SP bikes started in 2002 and were pretty much gone by 2007, so it's been 12 years since the SP01 and 7 years and another generation of design since they were available.

But as much as I appreciate the new Gen2 F4RR as a more modern and superior overall product for today's market, Morton's beauty will fade while Tamburini's will remain timeless, even with its broader hips.

+1
post #9 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruilosa View Post
When the Corse was introduced to me on paper it was a full bike from CRC, thus the few months to receive it.
According to Tuna (mv.net member), yours is one of only 9 complete Corse bikes ever sold. All the rest were kits, and less than 10 came to the US.

Tuna ordered the last complete Corse bike and had it shipped to the US. He had many CC-spec upgrades done as well, and he bought all the remaining bodywork and other Corse parts that were left in San Marino.

Quote:
Now i understand, thank you Blake.
Yeah, that's why so many think your bike is a kit. I know you've been frustrated by that, but this should explain why.

Quote:
P.s Where the kits sold as such in the limited brochure ? I mean does the certificat say KIT ?
The brochure specifically says "KIT DI TRASFORMAZIONE" in Italian and TRANSFORMATION KIT in English. I just got my Corse brochure out to look at it for sure.

The certificate only indicates Limited Edition.

post #10 of 621 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
According to Tuna (mv.net member), yours is one of only 9 complete Corse bikes ever sold. All the rest were kits, and less than 10 came to the US.

Tuna ordered the last complete Corse bike and had it shipped to the US. He had many CC-spec upgrades done as well, and he bought all the remaining bodywork and other Corse parts that were left in San Marino.

Yeah, that's why so many think your bike is a kit. I know you've been frustrated by that, but this should explain why.

The brochure specifically says "KIT DI TRASFORMAZIONE" in Italian and TRANSFORMATION KIT in English. I just got my Corse brochure out to look at it for sure.

The certificate only indicates Limited Edition.
Again, thank you! I knew just a few were made but only 9

I guess the price was to close to the Tamburini bike, making it less appealing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode