Newbie...with a couple questions...low baller, lol. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Newbie...with a couple questions...low baller, lol.

Well, thought I'de introduce myself. Name is Nate. Recently aquired an F4 750. I say low baller cause most of you have some pretty intense looking MVs. After perusing around, I see some people already have heavily modded 06s!!!! Nice!

Most of you will probably recognize it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

There's minor frame damage. The front lower downtube, near the headtube was damaged in a front end accident under 10MPH. It was the only damage aside from rashed plastics, and a ding in the tank by the tank guard(hardly noticeable in the pics). Nothing else to replace!!!!! Best part is.....TITLE IS NOT SALVAGE!!!! The owner decided to sell instead of have it totaled by the insurance company.

It's not the 1000, but I don't care. This is my dream bike. I've wanted one of these since I've been into motorcycles. At the price I got it at, I can replace all the plastics, even with carbon ones, get the frame straightened and still spend right under Blue Book Value.

I think I did good. What do you think?

My question is. I haven't picked it up yet. The owner is a 50 year old male and he said he wouldn't risk driving it from North Carolina to Florida, but it does infact track straight and runs perfectly fine. The frame is just tweaked SLIGHTLY at the headtube. He said "You're probably in your mid-twenties, without fear. I'm a 50 year old man...I wouldn't drive ANYTHING until it was perfect, but that's just me...." Question is. Is it just over safety conscious, or is it infact undriveable. Mind you, nothing aggressive, just straight line highway commuting type driving to get it home, and then immediatly to Computrack. He said that's the reason the lowers aren't on there, is because it doesn't fit correctly. Am I good to drive it home naked(the bike, not me, lol) for 6 hours? you can see the damage is very minimal, no rash on ANYTHING except plastics. Not even the tank has rash, nor do the bar ends, mirrors, upper or levers. Which is why I'm actually thinking of driving it back home.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:36 AM

Congrats on the new bike! Don't forget the registry.

Re the transport, I'd probably truck it just so that if any bits go flying while you are on the way you can atleast have some chance of going back to get them. Roadworthy then ride for maximum enjoyment!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have a cargo van that I used on my Superhawk. I'm just so anxious to drive it, and wouldn't mind driving it home naked.

Oh...Where can I find that plastic headlight piece that I assume clips to the headlight cut-out? I've been searching and searching...and have no luck!!!!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:27 AM

ocidn, welcome to the forum... i would truck it, imagine if you had an accident on way home, even if not your fault, how would your insurance react? maybe not worth the risk, and without the bellypan, the fairings would flap around and cause more that likley more damage.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta01
ocidn, welcome to the forum... i would truck it, imagine if you had an accident on way home, even if not your fault, how would your insurance react? maybe not worth the risk, and without the bellypan, the fairings would flap around and cause more that likley more damage.
Congrats, welcome and truck it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

OK...Looks like I'm trucking it! If I did drive it, I'de drive i home fairingless, but you guys are right...not worth the risk...

Anybody know the approximate cost on a computrack straightening with minor damage/repair like mine? The local guy here doesn't exactly pick up his phone....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn

It's not the 1000, but I don't care. This is my dream bike. I've wanted one of these since I've been into motorcycles. At the price I got it at, I can replace all the plastics, even with carbon ones, get the frame straightened and still spend right under Blue Book Value.

I think I did good. What do you think?

I think you did great mate. They are dream bikes whether you have the 750 or the thou. Welcome to our gang of MV looneys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Leaving the side fairings off and riding it 'naked' would have meant the nose has nothing to affix it to the frame other than the mirror supports. The sides of the nose would not be stable. There are a lot of questions before you should consider riding it: Steering head bearings, front wheel bearings, clip-on/hand control damage, foot control damage...

It looks like you need a new headlight lens. Unfortunately it's not cheap. P/N is 800093334 for the lens, gasket and all the clips that hold the glass on to the assembly.

In addition to the obvious frame damage check the left side engine mount (where the fairing was ground through to the frame). There is a bolt there that affixes the head of the engine to the frame. In accidents such as this it is possible for this mount to strip out the threads inside the head. You'll have to time-sert/helicoil new threads for this crucial mount if there is damage to them. Engine removal is required if that's the case.

Best of luck with your work

JamesC

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
nate,

welcome to the mv list. nate is also over at r6messagenet.com

as for the computrack cost, i had them work on a 98 vfr and it cost me $600. it was $150 for the initial measurements, then $450 for the work. they straightened the fork tubes, frame, swing arm, and sub frame - pretty much everything on the bike. it came back PERFECT. and while that may seem expensive, in my case they were able to just straighten all the existing stuff, so it came out cheaper than just putting on new.

alex
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 PM

Glad you decided not to ride it.

For the lower pan not to fit it must be reasonably shorter in the wheel base, likely meaning the steering angle is less than it should be (ie bent frame). It'd definately tip in to corners like that, but probably much more than you'd expect

Other thing to check with a hit like that is to check the sleeve in the headstock as it breaks pretty easily. It is around USD$400 I guess. Also check the front wheel for any dings or out of round.

Stick with you decision to van in back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode