power increase - some q's - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
power increase - some q's

the tamburini has 173 bhp (@ crank), while the stock 1k is rated at 166. that's +7hp. the tambo has head work (polished ports), a variable length intake, and the slip-ons, with the cat removed + eprom.

seems like a lot of mods from the stock setup for only 7hp. i believe that a full system on a gixer 1k will give you at least +7hp.

is it me, or does it really take a lot more effort to unlock the hp on an mv 1k motor?

just kinda wondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Smile

I agree with you altoon. The tambo is quite a bit lighter than the stock thou so performance wise the combination of the extra power plus less weight should make a significant difference. Perhaps the stock bike is in quite a high state of tune already?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Perhaps the stock bike is in quite a high state of tune already?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just wondering if others had some experience or opinions on this subject.

Someday in the future, I want to change the exhasut system on the MV. A full system will give more power, but if it's only 3 or 4 hp, and a slip-on gets you 2 or 3, I can't see how the full system is worth it.

Besides, the bike has plenty of power for me now. I'm scared to roll up the throttle too hard off a slow speed turn, and have the bike spit me off! And I have yet to get it to the track, where that is MUCH more likely.

I really want to get a pipe because I love the sound and wonder what it would be like with a bit less restrictive system...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
Someday in the future, I want to change the exhasut system on the MV. A full system will give more power, but if it's only 3 or 4 hp, and a slip-on gets you 2 or 3, I can't see how the full system is worth it.

I really want to get a pipe because I love the sound and wonder what it would be like with a bit less restrictive system...

Me too! Various people on the forum have done it. Graham (Augusta01) and Pete (Velocemoto) to name just two. I'm thinking as a first stage just to get the connector piece which does away with the Cat.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
I'm thinking as a first stage just to get the connector piece which does away with the Cat.
Keep in mind it is easier to do the slip on and mid pipe at one time since each require different fuel delivery programming changes via a Moto Card / PCIII or Eprom.

Also, CO, TPS and a throttle body sync may be required as well to keep the FI as un notchy as possible.

Just adding a free flow BMC air filter changed the CO % so much it needed to be adjusted.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:27 PM

John, I think you are spot on in regards to the high level of tune of the stock F4. The engine machining tolerances would be to a much higher level and would no doubt make harnessing more usable HP harder.

My experience with jap stuff is that any derestriction in the breathing of the engine or speeding up the removal of the spent gasses makes a huge difference, hence the market for slip ons is just massive for these bikes.

The advantage for using RG3's and the like on the MV is really in that the additional HP is usable, that is, not only for the racers amongst us, but also for street use, as its all in the mid-range and not all at the top where its not going to be used in day to day riding.

Want to be as light as a tamburini, ride with 17 odd lts of fuel less.....instant 17kgs lighter! (Just have to fill up more!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode