Riding an F4 long distance (or any motorcycle)- tips? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Riding an F4 long distance (or any motorcycle)- tips?

So come may, I will be riding my beloved Ago from southern california up to northern california along the famous PCH (hwy 1) along the coast. I've done my research on the route, and can't wait to ride through the scenic Big Sur area and take some great photos with the MV. (i've read up on pashnit and other ride logs for great stopping points). (PCH & 101 to san luis obispo, then PCH through big sur, carmel, santa cruz, then i'll be in familiar territory where i'll shoot the F4 over 9)

The F4 isn't exactly the most ideal bike to do this on, but i'm young (and hopefully "fit") and with some long rides beforehand, should be able to take this on with some stops along the way.

Anyone have any specific tips? I've read about a tire repair kit, some compressed air, food, lots of water, etc. I'll have my GPS with me on the Treo, but will probably not have it mounted (just check my progress at stops along the way). 2 Batteries, camera mount on my windscreen, 2 x 2GB sd cards for 1200+ pictures...

I also heard about taking some tylenol or other pain reducer to prevent cramping and such before I head off.

Any other tips for riding long distances (especially on the F4)? If anyone is interested and intends to head that way, would love to have a riding buddy. I'll most likely be leaving during the week (ie a thursday) at the start of May . Less traffic along that route, the better!

Last edited by alvin; 03-17-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:15 PM

I rode my R6 from San Diego to San Francisco and back in one weekend. I was in a hurry so I took the 5 up and back, which sucked.
My advice is to wear aerodynamic clothes, like a full suit. The wind at freeway speeds isn't a big deal when you're riding 30 or so miles to your destination, but it really starts to wear on you after 4 hours or so.

Make sure your cellphone is charged.

Carry a small can of plexus and a rag. You'll use it.

Throw on some race takeoffs before you go so you don't wear a flat spot on your good tires.

Wear earplugs.

Wave to all the cute girls and kids that you see in other cars.

OR

Just rent a u-haul and strap that bitch down in the back and drive...
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure the cell is charged and everything. I'll have full gear and a backpack with me. I'll definitely have the earplugs in!

The race takeoffs are a good idea, but probably won't be an option unfortunately. I'll just have to find some good twisties up north to even it all out. I'm hoping to stop and rest here and there, maybe some 15min power naps to rest the body from the wind..

I'll definitely note the plexus & rag!!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:22 PM

Get a tank bag so you can rest on top of it.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHILLE
Get a tank bag so you can rest on top of it.
Sounds like an idea. Anyone have a loner?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:31 PM

+1 on the tank bag, especially if you planned on having a backpack thats crammed with stuff. I cant imagine a heavy backpack being comfortable on a long ride.

I can loan you my icon backpack/tankbag, depending on how long you'll be gone. Let me know.

Its this one (in black)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...item=PAR_I6011

I should probably also mention that I've only used it as a backpack - never as a tankbag, so I can't vouch for it in that "mode". But it supposed to be a tankbag first, and a backpack second, so I'm guessing it makes a great tankbag.

Last edited by cryptyk; 03-17-2007 at 04:37 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk
+1 on the tank bag, especially if you planned on having a backpack thats crammed with stuff. I cant imagine a heavy backpack being comfortable on a long ride.

I can loan you my icon backpack/tankbag, depending on how long you'll be gone. Let me know.

Its this one (in black)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...item=PAR_I6011
I'd just be gone a weekend (thurs->sunday) or something. I will most likely just carry the necessities, and have clothes and such waiting for me up north already.

I'll keep you posted, thanks!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:38 PM

oh cool. No problem then. Just let me know if you end up needing it. I'm in Esco.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 PM

Taking regular breaks is a good idea; I found ~ 80 miles kept me fresh, and worked well for gas too. Try not to push the fuel range, you don't want to run out of gas and leave the bike in the middle of nowhere.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:12 PM
The Dude

I would recommend signing up for AAA or some other recovery service. But I've never had a bike in the states, so not sure if it is basically the same kind of cover as for a car. but had it in the UK and it was unfortunately useful a couple of times.

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode