anyone traveling USA to Australia - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

anyone traveling USA to Australia

Hi folks, trying to get Kamran's USA based nose cone fairing onto my bike in Australia but the postage ($400 US) is higher then the actual part, so unless we can come up with someone kind enough to bring it over to Oz on their trip across or some other means of freighting it over without having to get held to ransom we have to abandon this transaction.

Hope someone can help us out here

Cheers
Ed
Brisbane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:35 AM

Considered sea freight? You can get in on containers sometimes when they are not full and it is cheaper again.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:55 AM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
$400 US?! that's crazy... Have you tried different shipping company and/or method?

how much is a bargain round trip ticket? maybe you can come pick it up and make a vacation out of it too!

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata
$400 US?! that's crazy... Have you tried different shipping company and/or method?

how much is a bargain round trip ticket? maybe you can come pick it up and make a vacation out of it too!
I think he means AUS?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata

It does sound very expensive, I've had guitars shipped here from the US for half that. Because of weight/size restrictions I have only used USPS once but it is usually the cheapest air freight.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
I think he means AUS?
Would hope so but it's still steep.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Nope that be $400 USD, it due to the cubic size of the box. Using some cardboard origami Kamran is creating an odd shape to get under the postal cubic size restrictions so fingers crossed. And yes he kindly tried fedex usp ups as well. Can't ask a man to do more then that
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 AM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Well if you can wait, sea/land freight is the way to go.

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 PM

... it's stupid, but the rule is it has to be less than 79" in girth+width. This rule applies to some countries, others are 109" or so.

If you put a tape measure around the fairing, it'd be about 70" right there +the height which is another 14"... and that's without the packaging.

I'm going to my neighboring city post office and try my luck there. Should know in a couple of hours...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 PM

...yupeeeee!!! I just went to a smaller city postal office, and I gave the lady behind the counter a big smile, and spoke with a very soft tune....! She didn't even measure the package to see if it fits within the regulation guidlines...and checked it right through whooohooo!

Just as an FYI for the rest of our friends out there. If the package girth+width exceeds 79" (for some countries), the package would then have to be shipped via Express Delivery. Once it's kicked into that system, they'd have to check the weight as well as the volume it takes up. Their equivalant weight/volume calculation is Wt=WxDxH/166. So in this case the equivalent weight would be = 22x21x13/166= 37 pounds. So they'd have to charge for Express Delivery for a 37# weight, whereas the item only actually weighs 8 pounds.... and that's where the $400 comes into the picture!!!

So beware, and when shipping, go to a small town...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode